1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Way Huge Saucy Box circuit?

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Poca Distor, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Poca Distor

Poca Distor TDPRI Member

Can someone confirm 100% what kind of circuit it really is?
    What kind of diodes/clipping? I'm just curious.

I don't think it's a reduced version of the Pork Loin because this one is fat and a bit muddy/dark. SB is the opposite.

TGP swear that it is NOT a clone of the Klon but ... to my ears it's very similar so: The Saucy Box is a kind of Klon with a passive tone control or what?

2. Telewielder

Telewielder TDPRI Member

Curious too. I've got one and love it, it'd be nice to know what's going on under the hood.

3. Poca Distor

Poca Distor TDPRI Member

It's a nice pedal and the look is killer!

The only thing I didn't like is the switches they use for the bypass. Plus, there's a little of plop when engaged the pedal. Only with a buffered pedal before the SB solve that problem.

The joke about using bypass relay switching is that the switch must be soft and without mechanical noise. Anyway, I can live with it.

4. Telewielder

Telewielder TDPRI Member

That's funny, I don't get the pop--and I don't run it after any buffered pedals. One thing I do dislike about it, though, is that I can't daisy-chain it. Not even with just a few other analog pedals! However, I have been able to work around the problem by running it with a battery and sticking a dummy dc plug into the jack while the pedal's not in use.

5. Poca Distor

Poca Distor TDPRI Member

What kind of power supply are you using? It's about hiss/noise?

It's funny, because that's a very common problem with klon circuits. They prefer isolated outputs without multiplugs.

6. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

It's interesting that you say that, because I have several inexpensive Chinese Klon clones, and one of them is very noisy when run in the daisy chain from my one-spot with several other drive pedals, so I run it with its own 9v Boss adapter, and then it's silent. None of the others do that, just this one, and I think one of them is actually closer to a Klon as far as it's the only one with a buffered output, and all the others, including the noisy one, are true bypass. From looking at the insides of all of them, they all do have the charge pump, dual op-amps and dual gain pot, just not the buffered output. So, I assume then that it's not the buffer that's the source of the noise when daisy chained. Curious.

7. Poca Distor

Poca Distor TDPRI Member

I understand that the noise problem is due to the variety of voltages that the klon circuit has. The voltage doubler in particular.
    That's why if you put 2 klon style pedals with multiplug or with a switching power supply they start to make noise.

But again ... I don't know if it applies to the Saucy Box.

8. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

Hmm, i bought a Fat Sandwich and had to return it because it was so noisy. I think i was playing it daisy chained too.

9. Telewielder

Telewielder TDPRI Member

I've tried it with a Sanyo Pedal Juice and a OneSpot. There's this annoying hiss the whole time which gets worse and I turn up the gain control. With the battery, though, it's dead quiet.

10. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

11. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

I had a Saucy Box and liked it, in general. Smooth low to mid overdrive/boost. I don't believe it's a Klon circuit - Way Huge have that covered with their Conspiracy Theory pedal...

[​IMG]

12. Poca Distor

Poca Distor TDPRI Member

ok, i will keep thinking that it is VERY similar to a klon.

Nobody can detail in a concrete way where they differ, I have not read it anywhere, much less listened to it side by side.

The important thing is that it sounds great and does what it promised.

13. Highway Chile

Highway Chile TDPRI Member

The Saucy Box doesn’t sound much like the Klones to me. The Saucy has a grittier sound at the lower gain levels and has a flatter midrange. I personally prefer the Saucy Box over the klones that I have owned, especially with Teles. Ymmv.

Poca Distor likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.