Way Huge Conspiracy Theory Overdrive - My Review

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by OttoCorrect, Jul 9, 2019.

1. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

I’ve had this pedal for around a month now, so NPD isn’t quite accurate. Here’s my thoughts:

It’s Way Huge’s take on a Klon Centaur. I’ve never played an OG Klon, just had an EHX Soul Food for a while but that was on a different rig with different guitars so comparisons aren’t quite fair. That said, the Conspiracy Theory does sound better than I remember the Soul Food sounding. It has a bit fuller tone and doesn’t get as harsh with the gain cranked. The CT also seems to have less overall gain than the SF had. Full gain on the CT isn't as raging as I remember full gain being on the SF.

But enough of the SF comparisons! As it is, this is an excellent overdrive! It does pretty much everything I was expecting from a good Klon based pedal. The clean boost is lovely, it does just a bit of a nip/tuck with the bass and pushes the mids in a subtle way, making everything sparkle and chime a little bit more. As far as the “transparent” cliche about a Klon goes, I get what folks mean, especially compared to more traditional overdrive EQing like my beloved SD-1. It does just sound like your base tone but enhanced in a very musical way. The treble knob has loads of range, mines usually below half way, so it definitely can brighten things up if needed. Loads of output too, so using this as a clean boost or to just add presence both work great.

Cranking the gain yields some boxy sounds but it mostly just made my guitars sound like they had p90’s in them, which can work depending on what you’re going for.

Using it as a proper overdrive and setting it before an edge of break up amp is exquisite. It just sounds wonderful and gives your tone a lift in all the right places. It really comes alive stacking with other dirt too. The CT does wonders in front of my Outlaw Mod DS-1 or my Big Muff. Again, doesn’t completely change the sound, just enhances it and the gain structure always blends well with whatever is coming after it.

So yeah, after a month of seeing what it can do, I’m a big fan. It is true bypass, NOT buffered, but that doesn’t matter to me. Build quality is fantastic, and Way Huge was kind enough not to name it after genitalia this time, which I was also very happy with.

I got it from Prymaxe with a 25% off coupon, so getting this much tone for under a hundred is pretty great in my opinion. I’m not a Klon fanatic, and I gladly still use my SD-1, but after having this for a month I’m definitely able to see why people like Klons. The online hype is still rather silly, but it is a good circuit.

Here’s some pics, including a size comparison with a Boss pedal and a gut shot:
    25BAE54A-D65B-4162-853A-10CE84B4CE13.jpeg 9F2DBAFD-2E91-4CD2-9801-31F225702501.jpeg 7B3938B1-EE28-4CB1-8004-9A631DC37DFB.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  2. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

No questions, comments, nothing?

3. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

Great review! I've been on the fence about building a klone, I think you just tipped the scale!

kevsonic likes this.
  4. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

I have a Boss Os 2 and it does the Job. The only other that made a real difference was a Hoe “soul pressure” Bassman pedal with my SF Champ. Other than than that, an OD pedal is pretty much an OD pedal to me.

5. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Good review. I will put my klone on the board occasionally and it always ends up sounding very midrangy and it comes back off. I know that its this particular amp though. There are other drives that have done that on my rig, so, I know its not the pedal. I'm hanging on to it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.