WAX & FACTS - vinyl to outsell cd this year

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by magicfingers99, Sep 13, 2019.

1. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

This just in:

The RIAA’s 2019 mid-year report was released on Thursday and first reported by Digital Music News. It revealed that vinyl record sales were responsible for generating $224.1 million in sales on 8.6 million units. That’s compared to $247.9 million on 18.6 million CD sales.

Vinyl revenue grew by 12.8% in the second half of 2018 and 12.9% in the first half of 2019.
    Meanwhile, revenues from CD sales have barely moved from their 2018 numbers. In total, CDs accounted for roughly 5% of U.S.-based totals, despite some signs of a flattening out. But the math looks pretty simple here. Pretty soon, vinyl record sales will surpass revenue from CDs.

ironically the quote from above is courtesy of Digital Music News (lps are analog)

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2019/09/08/vinyl-overtake-cd-sales/

now is the time to invest in Turntable accesories stocks,

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

The CD is a dying medium, while vinyl is having a resurrection ... It is what it is ...

notmyusualuserid likes this.
  3. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

The current vinyl boom is just an upper middle class/rich people trend/hobby. It will fade as it has done numerous times in the past.
    People no longer want their music on discs of any sort, they want it on their social media digital nipple that they nurse on all day.
    And they want music to be free.
    So, good luck to all the people who think this is a way to make money.

4. steve v

steve v Tele-Holic

As someone who has collected records since I was a kid, I do hope the vinyl trend comes to an end at some point and those people sell their records so I can start buying them again at reasonable prices

5. magicfingers99

it might be a fad, but its a profitable one
    "vinyl record sales were responsible for generating $224.1 million in sales"

after the 1st strong solar flare takes out the grid, it will be back to crank up turntables, but the vinyl will still play, can't do that with cd or streaming, they are artifiacts of the electric grid, without it they fail to exist in any useful fashion.

people tend to take the path of least resistance, they are creatures of habit, whatever their friends do, they do. apparently they have some good sheperds herding the flock towards the fields of vinyl.

6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I think a good percentage of people over 45 miss the quality of sound vinyl and a decent hifi provides. Combined with the hipsters they are driving the prices up.
    I buy cd's for the car and vinyl for home. I really don't like plastic micro stereo systems and have never downloaded a song or album. I like to feel the floor move when I listen to my favorite records.

notmyusualuserid and Jim622 like this.
  7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The reason records are being re-released for original works or new versions created is because digital media and specifically downloads, streaming and sharing have made revenue for artists and music retailers has dropped.

You will find the conditions of usage on albums limited to the original purchaser for personal use only, with unique tracks not available even for DJs and promotions or MTV etc. If it's found anyone has broadcast or reproduced in any digital form the analogue recording the companies will come after them.

Hence high-value recordings from high net value artists increasingly will come on vinyl.

8. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

CDs: 18.6 million units
    Vinyl: 8.6 million units

I don't consider that 'outselling.'

And you still can't play LPs in the car.

9. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

This, in a nutshell.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  10. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

I'm currently sitting on the floor of my grandparents house while my grandmother goes through all my grandfathers vinyl before we take it to my moms and begin sorting. Really common stuff in played condition doesn't fetch much when the new pressing is like $8.....

11. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I'm guessing It doesn't mean much, what it really points out is downloads sell the most. former CD people download now, resulting in vinyl looking better in the sales category.
    I have a high end turntable and many records which haven't seen the light of day in decades and never will. I don't miss that medium at all.

stevemc likes this.
  12. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

You can burn CDs and mp3 from vinyl...

13. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

More popular bands put out vinyl, less popular bands only have CDs.

14. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

I never like the consumable nature of dragging a rock through plastic, or RIAA equalization, or snaps, crackles, and pops, or limited bandwidth. I'll keep my vinyl anyway, though I much prefer 5.1 SACD through my tube system.

stevemc likes this.
  15. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The content creators only allow vinyl because it degrades over time. They're rejoicing that they were able to wrest control of all the content back via streaming. I imagine that at some point, CDs gave them hives. There's no follow-on revenue there, and no control once the CD is out in the wild.

16. magicfingers99

but, and here's the kicker, price per unit (I love calling music, units) is higher for vinyl. looks like its something like 2.1 price ratio, meaning vinyl is more than twice as expensive as a cd, and it will wear out!!!! and need to be replaced...

btw I play my Les Paul all the time in my car, I find it less distracting while waiting at traffic lights than checkin out the Kardashian tweets.
    so yes you can play your lp in the car..

stevemc likes this.
  17. magicfingers99

since when????

18. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

19. magicfingers99

20. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Yes you can - but because these recordings are unique to vinyl if you share or stream them it's more likely you can be busted, and you can't argue that they're not bootlegged, unlike shuffles people make today, some legit, some not.

Copyright on these restricts a change of media.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.