Watts, ohms, heavy speakers

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by hltmd, Jul 9, 2021.

1. hltmd

hltmd TDPRI Member

I have a 63 vibroverb reissue that needs new speakers. Amp is rated at 35 watts, nominal 4 ohms resistance. I'm thinking of mounting only one JBL E110-8, which has impedence of 8 ohms. This speaker weighs 40 lb. I could mount two and match the 4 ohm nominal impedence of the amp, but amp would weigh over 100 lb. Would using only the one speaker be safe? Would it sound good? Is is necessary for me to somehow put more resistance into the cabinet to match the impedence of the speaker to the nominal resistance suggested for the amp, or is using an 8 ohm speaker with a 4 ohm amp no problem. Thanks for your reply.

2. vhilts1

vhilts1 Tele-Holic

You will probably be ok moving 1 factor from what is stock (4 to 8 but not 4 to 16)

The JBL is a very bright sounding speaker

I forget what the cw is on how moving up or down Ohm wise effects tone....but it will have an effect

3. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

That speaker weighs 11-1/2 pounds, not 40. Where did you get your information from?

4. hltmd

hltmd TDPRI Member

Where most misinformation comes from, the internet. They DO look MASSIVE, however.

Wally likes this.
  5. wineocaster

wineocaster TDPRI Member

I don’t know if there will be much impact on the tone but I would be cautious of running an 8 ohm load in an amp designed for a 4 ohm load. You could create unwanted issues with your output transformer. Speakers are not purely a resistive load, the ohms rating is usually reflective of the speakers impedance. If you measure with an ohmmeter across the terminals you’ll find the DC resistance is not equal to the ohm rating on the speaker. I don’t know all the science behind it and I’m sure someone on here will be able to educate us all much better than me. Just want to advise you to use caution and not damage your amp.

vhilts1 likes this.
  6. hltmd

hltmd TDPRI Member

Well, if the speakers weigh only around 11 lb, then I suppose I can move the amp. Thanks for the info. I just remember how great JBL speakers sound in other applications, and they seem to sound great in posts by others using them in their guitar amps. Some have said they are bright, and that they obviously wouldn't break up when driven with only 35 watts, but that's what they make tube screamers, fuzz boxes, etc for. I'm not too into distorted sound and usually play clean. That's why I'm thinking of using the JBLs, for their clean sound. Others suggested Celestions, but I fear they'll make my tweed amp sound like a Marshall. Any other suggestions for a 2 x 10 inch speaker replacement in a fender amp?

7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

I changed everything I own from Ohms to Siemens and never looked back.

8. hltmd

hltmd TDPRI Member

I SHOULD be okay with two 8 ohm speakers in parallel, run by an amp with 4 ohm nominal resistance requirement, right? Thanks

NoTeleBob likes this.
  9. wineocaster

wineocaster TDPRI Member

That is correct, two 8 ohm speakers in parallel will give you a 4 ohm load.

doghouseman, bebopbrain and PhredE like this.
  10. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I should be OK, but that is a super bright ice pick speaker... fun to experiment but, maybe best to get a couple of good speakers to your liking.

PhredE likes this.
  11. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

I like Eminence Copperheads for Fender-style amps.

vhilts1 and wineocaster like this.
  12. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

That speaker weighs 11 7/8 lbs. according to the specs. The 63 VV RI weighs 46 lbs according to the Fender Filed Amp Guide.
    From experience, I am going to guess that the stock speakers in that amp might weigh 3 pounds each. Note: my .River era .super .Champs weigh 24 pounds each with Eminence ALK1028s, which is except for the former the same speaker that came stock in the first VVRIs…and similar in weight to the modern Jensen Alnico that Fender switched to when the ‘look alike’ Jensen’s came out. Anyway, the EVI Force speakers added 8 3/4 pounds to each Super Champs…32 3/4 lbs with the EVIs. I am going to guess that your VVRI would weigh about63-64 pounds with those JBLs innit. For my purposes, JBLs are not worth the weight. Ommv. I sell JBLs to people who like them. Otherwise, they are dead weight to me. I like some distortion at times, and metal dust covers are harsh and fizzy on the high end with distortion. Get some Eminence ALK1028s. If you want to spend money 9n a speaker and carry weight, find some EVI Force 10s.

13. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Weber 10A125A speakers sound great in old style Fender amps, and they won’t break your back or your bank.

NoTeleBob and vhilts1 like this.
  14. Dacious

Dacious Doctor of Teleocity

If you want it to be lightweight and sound great a pair of Eminence Alessandro SC64s would be the ducks nuts. As Wally said, the alnico Legends are great and even lighter.

Unless you were going maximum headroom the JBL is not a great match for that amp, IMO. It's a smoky bluesy sort of medium amp. The JBL is a big brassy in your face sound.

15. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Having had a '63 VVRI since about 2008, I've not tried a lot of speakers in it... But, I have spent a lot of time in this forum and on TGP discussing the amp (and it's offspring) with other owners.

I have tried the original Oxfords (creamy, muddy, farty). Then, for the longest time I had a Jensen P10R and C10R combo that was delicious.

Eventually, I decided to try a change and kinda fumbled into a pair of JBL E110 speakers. Having heard good things about JBLKs, I decided to give them a try. I really didn't like them. they lasted all of about twenty minutes in the amp. Plus, they did make the amp a boat anchor. (Here was my post describing my experience: https://www.tdpri.com/threads/ns-s-d-jbl-e110.855267/#post-8517953 )

I still have the Webers in it, but I haven't played it much since moving... Plus, there's an issue I need to address with the filter caps.

I may end up going back to the Jensen Pairing, or even go something crazy like a pair of Celestion Alnicos. The Eminence Wally always talks about are also one of my favorites and may be candidates as well.

All thsi to say... I am looking forward to your report on the E110's.

16. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Like any other speaker, JBLs are loved by some, ok by some and despised by some. Only way to find out which of those three groups you fit into is to try them.
    I've also found speakers I can't stand in one amp I like in others. Use two JBLs with a 1987 Marshall but don't use them with the Twin Reverbs.
    And yeah, they're like throwing boat anchors in the back of your amp!

17. hltmd

hltmd TDPRI Member

18. hltmd

hltmd TDPRI Member

I'm beginning to believe those of you who say the JBLs are too bright. At the risk of missing old posts, I would love to hear what speakers or pairs of speakers everyone considers optimal for the VibroVerbReissue, and just get that
    Thank you

Wally likes this.
  19. twangking

twangking Friend of Leo's

I've got two rajuns cajuns in mine and I love them. Not too bright but really ballsy and aggressive. Great sparkly cleans and the dirt is better than the old stock speakers I blew out.

20. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The Rajin Cajun will do well there. the Eminence ALK1028 will do well, and the Alnico is smooth when handling distortion.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.