Watts Mini Kits

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Rock_Glenn, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Rock_Glenn

Rock_Glenn TDPRI Member

I've gotten a few boards from Watts Tube Audio, and I see Ken sells a number of different 5W kits. I'd really like to build a British flavored low wattage amp, but there isn't a review/video/sound sample of any of these anywhere.

They all seem to be designed with very similar specs and I'd love to compare the Supro vs the Mini plexi vs the Vox. Does anyone have any input on these? Has anyone tried any of them out?

2. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

Well the Supro is different being a P/P....it's like a brighter 5e3. The Vox and Mini Plex are the same circuit just different 12AX7 cathode resistors and bypass caps, for different gain amounts. Coupled with a SS rectifier and very stiffened filter cap setup, will tighten up the tone leaps and bounds from a 5F1. The 6v6 has a grid resistor added, I assume for blocking distortion. Also there's no NFB...so extra gain again.

You can do this to a 5F1 (Boothill Dave does the best deals) and make the 12AX7 bypass caps switchable between .68 and 25uf or no cap and .68uf....add a NFB switch....and you have three flavours in one amp.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  3. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

More info...I'm not a fan of the second cathode bypass cap. I like the "GA-5" mod....swap the 100K plate resistors for 220K and the 1.5K cathode resistors for 2.2K.

Gives a brighter gainer tone.

4. Rock_Glenn

Rock_Glenn TDPRI Member

Thank you, I noticed the changes in the cathode caps/resistors, and mostly I wondered how they can claim the amp sounds like a Vox or a Marshall or a Supro with such subtle changes.

Perhaps I will be farther ahead to build a DLS III and a Vox-type pedal and pop 'em in front of the tweed champ or the blackface champ I've built.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.