1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Water slide on satin

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Postalboy1979, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Postalboy1979

Postalboy1979 TDPRI Member

I searched and a lot of people had recommendations for various finishes for decals. My heavily modded non-American non-standard Squier Affinity from decades ago is getting two decals One is a custom Fender logo style that calls it something never produced by the company, and the second is a decal for the reverse that makes its provenance as a partscaster clear. I am making some reproductions that will never leave my home and I saw the debate on Fender decals but as Fender sells their logo to adhere to whatever and even lent their name and logo to an automotive sound system I feel that creating repro guitars clearly and permanently marked as not being genuine for personal use only is not fraud unless you sell it and attempt to make personal gain by deceiving the buyer which is why all my projects are labeled as repros/customs from the current year

With the politics out of the way, do I need to apply a gloss and then top coat with matte to match the neck, or is matte sufficient sealing for the decal? On my other guitars I'm using gloss nitro so no issues... it's the satin finish on the Frankencaster that concerns me over the long haul .

2. janea69

janea69 TDPRI Member

In my scale modeling days i used Johnson klear floor polish on the spot i was transferring the water slide to , sliding the decal on "wet on wet" . This prevents "silvering" . Let it dry out and apply a topcoat of Klear over the decal , using sponge , brush etc, let cure overnight and apply any Finnish you want. If i was unsure of the type of paint previously used , i would apply a cote of Klear as a barriere to prevent reaction between different paint.

JK202 and Ydwen Jones like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.