1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Water Meter RF signals?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Wallaby, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm beginning to suspect my wireless "Smart" water meter is the source of some mystery interference in an area in my house.

I can have literally everything else in that end of the house unplugged, and in one spot it's really noisy. 10 feet away in the same room and it's fine. The water meter is in the basement right beneath the bad area.

Does anyone have any experience to share regarding wireless water meters?

2. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Maybe some experiments with building a Faraday cage would help.

Hey, free water! For a little while, until they lower the boom...

3. Wallaby

Hmm, I like the way you think :)

I'm going to call the water company and ask if they can do something. Just searching around on the 'Net a bit and I see there are Smart Meter shielding enclosures out there. I can't be the first person with this problem.

I took out the trash a few minutes ago and looked - the device outside that I suspect communicates with their wireless network is literally 6' away and at about floor level.

This would explain so much.

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

That's what the company I work for manufactures. I don't work on the radios, just production line automation software, but I could probably get some info from the engineers on them. If you can find out and PM me the brand, make and model of the radio I can look into it.

5. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Put an aluminum bucket over it (really) .

stormsedge likes this.
  6. Wallaby

I am thinking some kind of decent-looking box-style enclosure with embedded aluminum screen except on the side facing the street light where the node is mounted.

Like an aluminum bucket with a hole in the right area :) But better looking since it's on the brick facing of the front of my house.

Once temperature rises above, say 15 degrees F I'll get back out there to see if I can determine the make and model information. I'll also go to Home Depot and get some aluminum screen and see if creating a rough cage around the inside metering apparatus helps.

I called the water department but had to jump to another call and didn't get back to it afterward.

tery likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.