1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Watching "Woodstock" on Turner & have a question.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dickey, Sep 7, 2020.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

There was a thread here a few days ago, and in it someone asked what amp Santana used at Woodstock. I thought he used an Acoustic, as several are visible in the backline on the video, but apparently he used the early Gallien-Krueger. That's interesting. I know little about Santana's amp history.....the amp I most associated with him was the early Mesa Boogie.....but of course, they weren't around at Woodstock.
    Thanks for the info. ;)

black_doug and Digital Larry like this.
  2. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

There was an album?

Mike Simpson likes this.
  3. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

There were lots of overdubs on the Woodstock album. CSN, in particular, pretty much re-recorded their bit because the vocals were shaky.

- D

4. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Movie makers overdub a lot of stuff, so it's hard to say what was done. The Band's "Last Waltz " was heavily overdubbed and changed by Robbie Robertson and Martin Scorsese for about 2 years, while high on Coke and Weed. The rest of the band was never consulted about it.

Chiogtr4x and nojazzhere like this.
  5. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic

Yes, it's editing for the sake of time. Remember that vinyl had time limits. Same can be said for The Last Waltz. Clapton's Further On Up the Road, for example, has a longer solo in the movie than on the record.

6. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I watched it. During Soul Sacrifice I paid close attention to which amp the guitar cable was plugged into. Sure enough, GK.

boris bubbanov and nojazzhere like this.
  7. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

This was a source of serious tension and unhappiness for Levon Helm
    I think he was against the release of The Last Waltz because he didn't think they played that well, what's how wasted they were
    I still love the show though

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    schmee likes this.
  8. electrichead

electrichead Tele-Holic

Come on man

Everyone knows Sha Na Na stole the show...:cool:

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  9. BuckSatan

BuckSatan Tele-Meister

Both the movie and the album were released in 1970 iirc.

10. Chiogtr4x

I'll be in the minority here ( and my wife thinks I'm crazy) but I liked Sha Na Na.
    I dig old Rock & Roll!

* plus kind of funny seeing what I think are Hendrix's Marshall stacks in the background-

The old making way for the new!

electrichead likes this.
  11. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

a logical explanation was that Ahmet Ertigan CEO for atlantic records owned the rights to the stock footage of woodstock plus the recordings made there a few years later he sold the rights to the recordings ( sound and Video) for 10,000.00 ( I believe) not thinking it was worth anything , I forget who bought it.They released the movie and the 2 X2 album sets woodstock 1 and woodstock 2, covering the highlights of the 3 day extravaganza , ending with Hendrix on the last day. Ertigan figured "who would want to see a concert from years past" and claims it was his one mistake in the industry

all of the footage had to be re-edited for video and for release which explains the differences in the sound and the video.

I maybe wrong here but i do believe Eddy Krammer was in on the re-mix of the audio

this also explains why there was a delay in the release of the video and the records.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

People today, forget how big of a deal Alvin Lee was, at this snapshot in time. We didn't get to go, but much of the impetus to get our act together and see this thing, was Alvin Lee, The Who and Hendrix. And CCR. I'm not even sure I knew who Carlos Santana was, before this festival. It may well be we ended up not going, because the Grateful Dead would be there - we kids really did not want to be part of that culture. We actually worried about the water supply being dosed - things like that.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  13. Chiogtr4x

What part of 'that culture' is bad about the Grateful Dead, but OK with The Who ( who could be rude a**holes while performing ) or Hendrix ( burning his guitar onstage)? both destroying gear onstage. Not exactly examples of wholesome behavior.

And they were ALL ( almost) doing drugs or alcohol. The performers and the crowd. Don't understand the knock on the Dead.
    ( a recurring gripe of mine, sorry)

Electric Warrior likes this.
  14. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

Yea I can't imagine differentiating between one group or another when it came to such behavior.

The Dead did have a bad habit of dosing who ever they could back then.

15. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

and even five minutes of “I go ho, see ma bay...” over and over and over is a little much.

Undead is a better live record of TYA in my opinion . And there’s even a version of “I go ho ! (see ma bay)”

And the crazy thing is, the grateful dead didn’t want to be on there because they thought their performance was bad but it’s out there now and if you listen to it - it was a pretty good set !

Speaking of that stuff, the industry term was “stepped on”. And those other substances made staying in the studio and obsessing over little live mistakes so much easier.

“Let’s stay in here for three days and fix all those clams !“

“Wait, I’ll call my guy...”

Sha Na Na was a brilliant comedic bit. Hendrix loved them and I think was responsible for them being on the bill.
    Plus that was pretty much instant nostalgia: The period they were doing a parody of wasn’t even 15 years old !

electrichead and StrangerNY like this.
  16. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Their first album didn't drop until a couple of weeks after the festival, IIRC. They were on the bill as a favor to Bill Graham, in return for getting other big SF acts on the bill.

- D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.