Watching "Woodstock" on Turner & have a question.

dickey

Friend of Leo's
I'm sure everyone here is familiar with the movie "Woodstock" & many have the album. Here's my question.

I have always felt that Ten Years After stole the show in the movie. Has anyone ever noticed that The Woodstock album version of "I'm Goin' Home" is pretty much different than the movie version? I could see if he had done multiple shows, but there are riffs that are the same in both versions, and AFAIK, each band only did 1 performance. Anyone figure this out?

EsquireOK

Poster Extraordinaire
I would have to listen to both again to compare them. The last time I listened to either was probably...20 years ago or more.

It is certainly possible that the album audio and the movie audio came from different recordings of the same performance. But if you are hearing an obviously different performance, then...it's obviously a different performance, and I'm not sure about the details of how or why.

Last edited:

swervinbob

Friend of Leo's
I’m comparing the two on YouTube right now. They’re definitely mixed different.

dickey

Friend of Leo's
Not just different sounding, but different riffs & different lyrics. But, some are exactly the same.
Might've been different edits, but I wasn't sure if they had the technology to do that back then.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I'll always watch Woodstock when it's on (or at least keep tabs on it) but the 'Director's Cut' just sticks in too much interview BS.
I say if you wanna make it longer than it always is, give us a little more music!

Here comes " Soul Sacrifice!" right now! Goody!!!

Masmus

Tele-Afflicted
A lot of live music was recorded with multitrack recorders and it was not uncommon for some to lay down new tracks after the fact to "enhance" the performance. Don't know if that's what happened here but it was done some times.

drmmrr55

Tele-Holic
I'm sure everyone here is familiar with the movie "Woodstock" & many have the album. Here's my question.

I have always felt that Ten Years After stole the show in the movie. Has anyone ever noticed that The Woodstock album version of "I'm Goin' Home" is pretty much different than the movie version? I could see if he had done multiple shows, but there are riffs that are the same in both versions, and AFAIK, each band only did 1 performance. Anyone figure this out?
Editing

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
The only explanation if it is completely different is that it wasn’t recorded at Woodstock (the album version)

Or they played it twice and no one mentions it

wyclif

Tele-Afflicted
I'm not sure about Ten Years After, but I do know for a fact that Ravi Shankar's performance was significantly overdubbed and 'punched in' via studio massaging after the fact.

It would not surprise me if the same thing was done for quite a few of the other performers. After all, live audio recording in 1969 was a primitive affair compared to today's standards.

3-Chord-Genius

Poster Extraordinaire
Not sure if this offers any clues, but I was watching a recent online interview of Eddie Kramer and he said that he recorded the concert to 8-track with one track being a sync pulse (for the movie), and another being a mic for audience noise, so he only had 6 tracks for the bands. Drums were in mono.

And this:

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/woodstock-and-the-making-of-ten-years-after/

"But all is not as it seems with the recording. The sound problems meant that Ric Lee’s drums went unrecorded for the most part and the bits that were audible were of poor quality. It required a studio overdub, but not from Ric himself. Mountain’s roadie and future drummer, Canadian, Corky Laing did them in the studio; Corky replaced Mountain’s drummer very soon after Woodstock"

Digital Larry

Friend of Leo's
Michael Shreve on drums, and that P-90 SG Special!
I used to work at Gallien-Krueger many years ago. Bob G. was rightfully proud of the fact that Carlos Santana had purchased one of Bob's first commercial amps at a music store in Palo Alto and wound up using it at Woodstock. It's briefly visible during "Soul Sacrifice". Funny story about it here - https://reverb.com/news/the-guitars-of-woodstock-1969