Watch for schoolbuses

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Feb 12, 2020.

1. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

maybe the guy saw the flashing lights and thought the bus was turning left?....

I assume all the lights on the bus were working both sides?...

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I don't think it would be too unreasonable to beef up the flashing light system. Don't know how, maybe brighter lights, a new color just for school bus lights. Maybe like the blue lights that cops use, but just not that color. Blue seems to be reserved for emergency or law enforcement, which distinguishes it from the general environment where red lights are ubiquitous. What color for school buses (in addition to red) would be best for this?

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I see red lights and yellow, normally in use. Perhaps some LED lights in those colors? I'm skeptical that the fog quite that bad. Parents wouldn't let their babies stand alone out by a highway in close to zero visibility I mean, can you imagine doing so?

I'm trying to remember a schoolbus in use, so obscured by fog I couldn't recognize what it was. This guy decided the bus wasn't worth taking seriously, when he first saw it, I think.

4. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I believe the issue is deeper than the lights. The newer buses in my community have much better lights and same for the ambulances fire trucks. It happens often when I see people disrespect them. I see parents stop for their own neighborhood's bus and drive poorly after that.

I'm certain this influences behavior too. The place as a community or conduit. There's so much commuting going on and people using cars for minuscule trips that respect for a living community is forgotten.

For the above, I live in a first ring suburb. A place still it's own town and grown into the big one. I've made this observation or judgement when it's school tournament time and some paint their vehicles marking where they are from. You see people getting through as fast as possible and often inconsiderate are from area and neighboring municipalities.

Treat all your driving as if where you are is or could be your community.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    boris bubbanov likes this.
  5. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Meister

I always stop about 100 feet behind a school bus. And here, we stop when approaching a school bus heading the opposite direction when it's loading and unloading. Horrible.

stormsedge likes this.
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Incredibly sad, and inexcusable.
    It happens all the time, too.
    Idiots in a hurry.
    I hope the driver is charged and punished to the fullest extent of the law.

7. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Tall tree, short rope.

8. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

with cameras everywhere i would hope that the buses could be outfitted with a camera to watch for these clowns.

9. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Holic

they were in a hurry. hope 20 yrs to life in prison slows em down

you get caught here going past a skool bus with lights and the stop sign i think the fine is up to $1250. still doesnt stop em bec they just cant see beyond their own needs being a narcissistic sociopath

brookdalebill likes this.
  10. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Huge problem. Drivers are so clueless and distracted.

Somebody blows past my 7-year olds bus pretty much every day when the kids are getting on the bus. The bus driver is always laying on the horn to try and stop it and we get police patrols regularly who always end up ticketing 2-3 cars just for the one bus stop.

Luckily he doesn’t have to cross in front of these idiots.

11. boris bubbanov

But Steve, how would the bus driver or the parents have had time to react that quickly? All the cameras do is help prevent "successful" escapes after a hit and run. What we need to do is restore a bond between the motorist and the pedestrian.

I think people in high powered personal vehicles, especially tall and large ones, with all their gadgets and comforts, don't see the "terrain" they drive through with clear eyes. Gradually over time, their vision is fading and they're more and more doped up on medications (and alcoholic self medication) and they don't "see" a bus loading children for the Holy thing it is. They don't associate the little forms they see at a distance with vulnerable little human beings. They pretend to care about the sanctity of life but in practice they're not well enough to do the things that caring people must do.

This 70 year old driver didn't care if he was on tape or not. He's more the guy who is not even sure if this world around him is even real anymore - or he has ceased to care if it is or isn't.

stevemc likes this.
  12. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, I don't know whether a lot of you guys caught this, but, turns out the driver is in his mid-70s.

I'm not saying that excuses this, by any means, but...if you're the praying type, while praying for this family, maybe say a prayer for this guy, too.

Pretty sure he could use it

Rowdyman, gregulator450 and joe_cpwe like this.
  13. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Holic

My heart breaks for this family who lost their little girl, and all our other members who have had similar experiences. I don't know that this type of problem can be fixed with more lights, cameras, cops, etc.

Somewhat related: my oldest kid is wheelchair-bound from birth. He started middle school this year, and when we drop him off at school we have to accompany him across the crosswalk that connects the wheelchair parking because other parents dropping their kids off to school either don't care, don't care to look, or some combination of both; as soon as their car door shuts, they can't get out of the drop-off zone quickly enough, and both my wife and I have almost been hit several times each while walking my son through the crosswalk. They are more concerned about getting to wherever they're going than trying to notice kids crossing the walk.

We also see a lot of these same parents parking in the crosswalk, parking sideways in the wheelchair parking spaces to drop their kids off, or parking in the spots without having the proper placards/plates to do so legally, and even when they see us waiting to pull in to a spot to safely unload our son, they act like they don't care. Even with the school resource cops periodically policing the parking lot, many people simply dismiss the law and the idea of having concern/compassion for others. It's disheartening and frustrating to see the selfishness and lack of concern for fellow humans.

Terrible situations like the death of this little girl won't diminish until we as humans reduce our selfishness and start having compassion for others of our species in general.

One final thought: I have to second what @blowtorch said- if you're the praying type, pray for the driver as well as the family who lost their little girl. Even though what happened is both inexcusable and terrible, we don't know the circumstances he was experiencing in that moment; his state of mind, his state of health, and the circumstances affecting those aspects of his consciousness. The entire situation deserves an outpouring of compassion until proven otherwise (and even then, a healthy dose is warranted).

drlucky, telemnemonics and blowtorch like this.
  14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

It is a dangerous world out there on the roads. Too many bad, disrectful and "in a hurry" drivers out and about. Tragedies like these that are completely avoidable, makes it worse.

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oh yeah the dangers of the road...
    My wife (who doesn't drive) was just telling me she's thinking of getting a moped or electric bike/ scooter next summer.
    I drive her to and from work a little over a mile each way which is walkable but in summer heat it's nice to arrive not soaked in sweat when dressed for a 65 degree job walking in 90 degree sun.

I lost a friend recently who got hit riding a moped, we have a bicyclist or pedestrian hit by a car in the middle of town more than once a season, I've been hit by cars riding bicycles more than once, and our town bike lanes vary between not bad, suddenly gone in narrow stretches, and even down to not enough road for two cars to fit going opposite directions.
    Town pop is 1000 year round, but the one mile stretch of Rt 1 by the ocean jumps to a pop of 10,000 in summer when all guest accommodations are filled, then add in day trippers and fools who just want to get up Rt 1 and it's very very dense traffic.

Next comes drivers looking at dinner menu options on their smart phones and pedestrians with a phone held up to their face like armor against reality. Some pedestrians actually wander down the middle of the road totally unaware of the mobs of cars trying to travel where they blunder along.

I gotta say my worst fear is hitting a child with my car or truck.
    All you really have to do is think about that for a moment.
    Imagine hitting a child in a rush to get by some horrific impediment to our oh so important life progress.
    Stop and look at that child who we just smashed and possibly killed.
    I just don't know how a mind can make this a low priority on the list of stuff that's really important.

16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

School buses have mechanical swing out road block things with a stop sign in the middle, but they don't swing out on the shoulder side of the bus, I suppose because so few drivers try to pass a bus on the shoulder.
    Lots of cars do pass on the right when a vehicle is making a left turn though, maybe that's what the old man thought was happening.
    If the flasher bulb on the right side of the bus was burnt out then only the flasher on the left would be flashing and could look like a left turn signal.
    Still no excuse for anybody to be in such a rush that kids become less important than an old man's agenda.

It's a fact that the 70s is when many of us turn into dangerous drivers though, and I went through that with my Mother in her late 70s.
    Her Doc sent a letter to the state requesting her license be revoked after she had a couple of crashes.
    She of course didn't like that, as most feel losing that independence is a serious loss.
    Nobody wants to be told they suck as a driver either.
    Many of us will face this if granted the privilege of long life.
    I've known or know of a lotta old folks who fought to keep their right to drive after losing their ability to do so safely....

gregulator450 likes this.
  17. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

My heart just breaks for this family. 6yrs old. sigh.

I've said numerous times, it seems the breakdown in societies conduct is just advancing at an alarming rate. Laws & rules are just general guidelines, to use at your discretion, everyone be damned.

There's no reason a 70yo doesn't know the law regarding a schoolbus. He should be on his porch yelling at kids to get of his lawn or waving his fist at the sky.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  18. boris bubbanov

Or volunteering to stand with the children, at the stop, until the kids are safely on the bus. I used to know a lot of retired people who did just this kind of activity, esp. when kids' parents work long hours.

+

We do need to make some tough decisions about divided roads and what to do about traffic passing 1/8ths+ miles away in the opposite direction, on what is essentially a different road. And we have school buses on "Access" roads doing their stops there and people don't know whether or not to stop when passing by on the "through" road that the bus may never venture on to at all. And which is sometimes separated by a fence.

I see chaos on roads like US 72, where some people ALL stop even if they are hundreds and hundreds of yards from the children and the bus, while other people don't "get" why this stopping is going on and so, half stop dead and half blow through at 65 mph - and this is nuts.

So while we have this 70+ year old killer "under-reacting" to the school bus, we also see bad wrecks from people "over-reacting" and doing panic stops that to me, make no sense.
    I'm getting more and more where I use the "other" roads and not the Interstates, but I have to be super vigilant about school zones and times when kids leave after school activities - and time it out so I am not passing through the area in these time intervals. In a "mixed" car trip of 400 miles, I am either on the segment of the trip that happens to be Interstate during school departure times and I just wait before leaving, so as not to interfere with commuters and kids trying to get to school. I encourage people to sweat these sorts of details and to be not so anal about observing speed limits when away from all the sources of vehicle-to-pedestrian conflict. This is just an extension of the stuff we have learned to do, about not making unprotected left turns, and so forth.

19. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I'm glad that you said seems. A whole lot is not as bad as it seems even though we do have problems. A whole lot in our world is better than ever. I suggest reading and following people such as Steven Pinker, Gregg Easterbrook, Hans Rosling (RIP, his kids are carrying it on) and Yuval Noah Harari. Also some of the stuff Bill Gates and Warren Buffett do and promote.

Some institutions have changed where I do think it's probably unhealthy. Fewer volunteers in their community as an example. Kind of about this topic is all the in an automobile time so many do is not good.

Yes this is tragic but we should not let unreality get us and we should all be optimistic and work at solutions.

20. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

That garbage human should get speedy public trial and a sentence of life in prison, with days working on a chain gang cleaning roadways.
    A pox upon that slime.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.