Watch for schoolbuses

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Feb 12, 2020.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

The other day in my hometown, a pickup truck passed a school bus on the RIGHT SIDE. The bus had it's flashing lights on, as required.
    The driver struck two young sisters as they were waiting to board the bus, and one died as a result. She was a kindergartner.

I can't even imagine what the family is going through :cry:

Please please please pay attention out there

2. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

IIRC, you're in the Tesla hating camp but that local news was a reminder and prompted a friend with a Tesla to remember and he sent the record of what a road rager did to to the sheriff's dept. As much as I don't like surveillance all over I thought that was okay and figure all cars will be that way in the future.

The temper and bad behavior many people have with school buses is just terrible.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    Bassman8 likes this.
  3. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

That is awful. My heart goes out to that poor family. I see drivers every morning blatantly disregarding school zone and school bus rules and it makes my blood boil.

4. Mrbob135

Mrbob135 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Oh man, that is terrible. I can't even imagine. Prayers to the family.

5. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Horrible on many levels. My heart goes out to the family

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Shocking, and awful.

It seems to me, the tiny number of people who go nuts in their vehicles and mow down innocents, used to prefer a high performance coupe or sedan, and now they like these large pickups and SUVs. And the biggest and heavier the vehicle, the more poor the prognosis is for some school child or cross country runner - or a miserly person who has walked for groceries to the store.

https://www.kltv.com/2020/02/11/police-driver-traveling-mph-when-oklahoma-students-hit/

Show me how this isn't a co-incidence, that the killing vehicle is almost never a Chevy Sonic or similar vehicle. Whether you admit it or not, the heavier your personal vehicle, the less concern you ultimately have for kids, pedestrians, or really anyone in your path. The only debate is, do you consciously realize it or not?

Flakey, Rowdyman and Nightclub Dwight like this.
  7. blowtorch

The driver was in his mid 70s.

Just tragic on many levels

also this isn't a "local" story. Plainfield is actually Wisconsin. Madison is 77 square miles surrounded by reality

boredguy6060 and studio1087 like this.
  8. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

...all due respect, but I'm having a hard time connecting your Tesla angle plus road rager vs. sheriff story to a tragedy involving a pickup and children boarding a school bus.

This is how you respond to a child's death?

9. imwjl

No, my first response was remembering the moment we learned a jerk behind the wheel killed a family member. Some here might recall my posts about that. Would you like me to share some details of what it's like to go identify the mangled body body of your loved one? Want a little info on how permanent and at times sad that is years later?

The point of the Tesla was after witnessing a driver behaving badly, my friend remembered his car probably had it on camera. He sent images of the road rager to the sheriff's dept.

A lot of my interest in and support for new technology in cars comes from our terrible experience.

getbent likes this.
  10. boris bubbanov

So many times, I watched the family members I represented in the deaths of their loved ones, and it just twisted them into contortions of hatred.

My job, for as long as I could stand it, was to look past the particulars that might make sense to me, to find the particulars that would matter to juries.

But one of the takeaways I have is, the closer a human being is to vehicular tragedy, the less objective that person ends up being. Having a brother killed, or a daughter, in a vehicular tragedy doesn't IMO make you a better observer of such things. It hardens a person, and closes their minds to what lessons might be learned in the "next" tragedy and the one after that.

I know that seems cruel, that all the lawyers can do is hand you a wad of money - he can't even vouch for your greater insight (compared to the next person) as a survivor of this hideous stuff. This truism that that which doesn't kill us makes us stronger, I don't know. It breaks some people and makes some others inflexible. Wisdom, not so much.

I've had grieving family members do weird things, like trying to explain how the loss of their loved one or his disability, was a "plan" and the family was X or Y or Z (positive things) as a result of what they'd been through. But that just made me ill, to hear that. These people had had losses, severe losses; permanent losses and there's just zero upside to these. NO excuses for the people who kill and maim others with their trucks and SUVs. We "forgive" them for our own instinct for survival, not for their sake.

elihu, Flakey, Larry F and 1 other person like this.
  11. blowtorch

Yeah. Just because you're not dead doesn't necessarily mean you're stronger.
    You might be maimed, physically or psychologically or both. And, right, "harder" doesn't equate to stronger, often it's quite the opposite

Nietzsche was generally full of crap, anyway

Lawdawg, Jupiter and boris bubbanov like this.
  12. imwjl

We didn't even get a wad of money, and none of us have that hate I know exists. Two vehicles behaved badly and ran our loved one into the other side of the Interstate. The one that was caught belonged to a municipality. Our last governor and his gang limited the liability of state and local government employees in accidents.

It happened. Nothing can be done about it except encourage good behavior and promote what will spare others from the bad experience.

drlucky and stevemc like this.
  13. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I'm sorry for the loss of a family member. I don't have the time to follow every post here, but it doesn't mean I couldn't understand your personal tragedy.

You might not want to assume that no one else has experienced such a personal loss. For those of us who have been on the planet a good long while, and now deal with family losses somewhat more frequently, your might lift your eyes a little off the ground.

I was only trying to tie your comments into the OP and even had I read your previous posts, I'm not sure I would make the connection, in that you seem to have a personal axe to grind regarding the Tesla.

No car or technology matches up against the loss of a family member; if that's what I can take away from your post, then thanks for taking the time to explain your situation.

14. imwjl

New technology we've had for a while is already so effective the industry and not government created the automatic emergency braking standard all cars will have soon. I don't know about US federal and state law, but my friend who sent the images said that technology has been used to make arrests in Canada. Much or most of the fleet on camera should to some extent be self-policing.

I hope I'm alright dealing with death. Maybe a little harsh or seeming flippant on needing to move on but it came from or was a lesson when my dad died too young and good fortune to have a really strong mother and some others as good examples. I try to be a force optimism kind of guy.

:)

teletimetx likes this.
  15. blowtorch

This was I believe on a rural road.

One thing that keeps haunting me is that it's sadly very possible the girls' parents watched the whole event unfold from their window

16. boris bubbanov

I sure hope not. If this wasn't bad enough, already.

Parenting is hard enough, at least from here it looks like, but this is another dimension altogether. The 70 some year old driver may understand the import of what he did, or maybe not. I remember an older guy hitting me on my bike and I did a flip over the hood and yet I even avoided being taken to the doctor. But the car driver, the event really rocked him and I was ten and I asked if I could go see the guy, to show him I was OK and some of the other adults would have none of it.

17. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I had not thought about that- that would be horrible. I almost liked this post - not because I "liked" it, but because it made me think - then realized that was the wrong action.

Very real possibility. I hope they didn't witness that.

18. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That is so tragic. It looks like it was extremely foggy at the time, but I can't imagine why the driver would pass on the right side. He had to have driven on the snowy shoulder? Maybe he didn't realize it was a school bus?

WAUSHARA COUNTY, Wis. (WBAY/WSAW/Gray News) - A 6-year-old Wisconsin girl was killed and her 4-year-old sister injured when a pickup truck passed a school bus that had its lights flashing as the children tried to board.

According to a school administrator, the school bus stopped near Plainfield, Wisconsin, along State Highway 73 near 11th Avenue with its lights flashing Monday morning, WBAY reports.

The sisters had already crossed Highway 73, a two-lane road, with other family members and were waiting to get on their bus when a Chevy Silverado came up on the right-hand side of the bus, hitting the two girls.

The 6-year-old, a kindergartner at Tri-County Area Schools, died before she could be transported to a hospital. Her 4-year-old sister, who’s in the 4K program, suffered minor injuries.

The school district says the 4-year-old was treated at a hospital and is back home with her family. The girls’ names were not immediately made public.

No information was available about the driver.

It’s unclear why the pickup truck, going in the same direction as the bus, came around the side, but people near the scene said it was extremely foggy in the area at the time.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/...-board-wis-school-bus-younger-sister-injured/

19. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

We have streetcars here where drivers are required to stop when the streetcar is (un)loading. It is astounding how many drivers fail to stop.

Just incredibly entitled, selfish behaviour for the most part.

So sorry for the family and friends of the little girl killed in this incident.

Geoff

20. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I’m not following the discussion here except the incident itself and that alone is horrible. It’s hard to believe anybody of sound mind would drive a vehicle past a stopped school bus with lights flashing. That’s to me a far bigger “STOP NOW!” than any red light or other traffic warning.

bender66, telemnemonics and stevemc like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.