Watch "Bad tones from multi effects pedals need help to identify" on YouTube

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by robert donithan2, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

I've used a Zoom Gx1 at many gigs and not a single person ever complained or really even noticed anything different.

As in almost everything on this forum, its not the gear. Its the player.

2. luckett

luckett Banned

I don't hear any "problems" with the sound in the video. The bad tones are user error. It's not the equipment.

robert donithan2 likes this.
  3. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

I own a pretty popular Fil-A of Chick-en Place up here in White Marsh in front of Best Buy and Dicks and have a nice Guitar garage at home in Dundalk. If you can stop by my work we can exchange numbers.
    I noticed with the LINE6 digital boards that sometimes , if you loaded several different effects, it pedal seemed slow to my picking almost delayed.
    I'm here till about three today and will be in by 9 am Friday if you want to stop by.

DaveKS and robert donithan2 like this.
  4. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I was thinking that all the effect levels are too high causing the mush and the speaker is clipping too. Don't know anything about your amp, How old is it?, What's the output wattage?
    Start backing off the effect levels and go from there.

5. robert donithan2

robert donithan2 Tele-Holic

Do you mean stop by in white marsh? And if so what street?

6. robert donithan2

It's a 60 watt fender hotrod deville 4x10. Don't know how old.but the sound you're hearing on the video is out of the zoom g5n multi effects pedal through a Sterling 5" powered studio monitor..and the Ibanez geo $199 ..but it sounds the same way with a fender American standard Stratocaster...

7. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

I've got a G3n, which I think is the same thing without the pedal.

It works for what I need - I play mostly clean and if I want crunch I get it from my amp gain. The G3n has some very usable reverb, chorus, compression, and delay effects. I use all effects subtly; maybe that helps.

Also I am ALWAYS in stomp box mode; I've never tried one of the factory presets yet that I liked, or even liked enough to keep fooling with it. And I don't use amp models - I like Vox tube tones so I use a Vox tube amp.

The only limitation I have noticed is that I generally do not like the sounds I get when I have more than 3 or 4 at most effects going at the same time. But that may be just because I don't like heavy effects.

I am not a great guitarist, but I have a very picky (not to say hypercritical) tone ear. I'm pretty happy with the G3n for the ways I use it.

8. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

9. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

But back to my other post - have you EVER just cleared out a preset, and started with the basics of an amp/speaker parameter, and played with the gain and settings?

Also - have you ever used a set of good headphones to listen to the direct out of the multi effects?

And... Are you sure all your cables are good?

10. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I've never liked small speakers when pushed hard, they seem to clip more. Some people love it, but they just sound farty to me. I thing the reverb level was too high and I was hearing a bit too much wave. Those type effects at high levels can clash with lots of distortion/fuzz/OD effects, usually better played clean. INMO
    I always had to back my reverb/chorus/flanger/tremolo/phasor effects back when using high distortion/gain.

Hopefully MrCairo46 can help you get it all sorted out.

11. robert donithan2

12. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

5198 Campbell Blvd.
    i'll be in by 9:30 am. Ask any of my folks for Steve. I may be in the office. I'm started watching some videos on your multi Fx pedal. Sometimes these don't play well with amps but sound better in PA.

DaveKS and robert donithan2 like this.
  13. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer Tele-Meister

IME Speaker Sims don't always sound good into a guitar amp.

What I have found is that using a speaker sim in front of a real guitar speaker can make the whole rig react in a slightly unpleasant way to your playing. It seems to sound okay to the listener but will just "feel wrong" somehow to the player.

There's a whole discussion around why this happens but...

Maybe turning off the speaker sim will solve the OP's problem?

14. robert donithan2

I'm having a minor car problem right now so as soon as I fix it I'll let you know..

15. robert donithan2

Yes I've started from scratch in an empty slot. Same result.I have a pair of Sony $99 headphones MDR 7506 studio monitors..and I have tried different cables mogami gold and had to refund it because it didn't do anything..

16. robert donithan2

17. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have an older Zoom and the presets all have the levels boosted very high. Many seem to have compression, which could be turned off to sound better, and 99% of them are unusable except if you want to play in a super-cheezy 80s cover band, even though the processor was made a decade later.

My only gripe about it (besides kind of cheap jacks) is that it has a lot of presets which can't be overwritten and the same number which can be overwritten (but doesn't suffice).

It sounds great if you tweak the effects and use the eq.

18. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

You are seriously making this much, much more difficult than it is. You have a popular guitar, and a popular multi-effects unit, that combined *always* work with virtually anything that it plugs in. Take this the friendly, correct way: the one variable that is exactly associative with this condition is, you. You are driving it to distort. Its not the amp, guitar, effects unit, your computer, DI's, cables, the weather...lol.

Maybe the best thing for you to do, is get an amp with effects built in, and learn how to use the gain and volume, combined with your guitar's volume, which is not a switch, lol. One of my modelling amps has FOUR different gain/volume knobs. you really need to learn this first, and it won't take long, before trying to chain effects units to DI's to computers to amps, etc. And you don't have to spend a lot of money. Try a Roland Cube 20X, or a small Peavey Vypyr, Line 6, etc. Maybe $100. Seriously trying to be helpful.

19. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

If this Vmp is a processing amp, depending on what has been selected, and you are running a floor processor into it, you likely are giving it to much sampled sounds.
    Try setting the amp with no fx, just clean, use the floor proccesor fx only.
    Also, try it in the send return loop if it has one.
    Thirdly, the Zooms have a switch on the back, for either live or recording, might check that.
    Most of the zoom settings are a little hot 'out of the box', but these units are some of the more easy to edit/adjust/tweak.
    Mine has a tube boost button, which kinda needs to stay off most of the time.
    Reguards.

Staypuft1652 likes this.
  20. mikecorey

mikecorey TDPRI Member

It sounds like you're going into front of the amp. You need to use the effects loop. Putting a preamp into another preamp will cause what's happening. Especially a multi effects unit.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.