Wasps in the shop?

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by cleanheadsteve, Aug 21, 2019.

1. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve Tele-Meister

is there a way to keep wasps, yellow jackets, etc. out of the shop?
    i know i have a weird situation because my shop has one wall that is totally open to the outside. so i dont have a natural barrier. but wondering if i can soak a tarp in a peppermint mixture (they hate peppermint) or something and hang that over my open wall?

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

2. cleanheadsteve

as soon as it gets cold enough and they die off, i'll build a wall there and have my shop pretty much enclosed

3. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Wasp trap, looks like a humming bird feeder.

telestratosonic and OldDude2 like this.
  4. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I second the wasp trap, or pesticides but I would stay away from that

5. oatsoda

oatsoda Tele-Meister

Propane torch and fry the nests, just have something ready for when the shop goes on fire.

Zepfan and Macrogats like this.
  6. WisconsinStrings

WisconsinStrings Tele-Afflicted

Slowly build up your immunity to wasps by letting them sting you. Slowly at first and then increase it.

Or, build a wall! That's probably a better solution! :)

SacDAve, stevemc, VWAmTele and 2 others like this.
  7. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

My shop is much the same as described above.
    I try to keep 2 or 3 cans of that 20foot wasp spray around.
    The tricky part is finding their nests sometimes

8. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

Hunt around outside, find the nests, then blast away with Raid. Or torch 'em.

9. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I buy wasp spray in 3 can packs... after I wipe out half a dozen nests the give up and move on to somewhere else til next year...

10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Ripley says...

But seriously, we've had good luck keeping them off our hummingbird feeders with gallon milk jug traps partially filled with a mixture of unfiltered apple cider vinegar, honey and dish soap with a cotton ball holding attractant just above the water.

11. cleanheadsteve

yes it is kinda hard to find the nests cause my shop is a 100+ yr old disaster of a building. i have found some nests behind loose bricks in the wall even. one nest was in an acoustic guitar body i had left untouched for a few years. and i thought they only liked to build their nests 10-15 feet off the ground. but i know there are other species that nest in the ground, hollow tree stumps, etc.

12. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Chain smoke cigars, the tar will coat the walls and they will not nest there. In fact, mold will never grow on wood stained from tobacco smoke either, so you kill 2 problems at once.

Outside of that, find some adventerous kids in the neighborhood to eliminate the nests. I grew up in the country and we used to get a lot of nests on the eave of the horse barn some 45 feet in the air. Me and my 2 brothers (we were ages 12, 11, 10 at the time) would wage war on the nest which became the size of a basketball by the endo the Summer. My oldest brother threw baseballs at the nest. I held the garden hose with the nozzle on mist. My other brother had a rubber mallet. One would pelt the nest with baseballs and then run to me with the hose. I would surround us with a thick mist of water like a shield and as the wasps became saturated and fell out of the sky, my other brother would smash them with the hammer. We counted 72 wasps when it was all over and only one of us got a stung..just once.

That was how we rolled in the mid-'70's before all this parental supervision and common sense destroyed things. I can still remember how pissed off those things were trying to fly through the water to reach me, but they never did.

Alter, trancedental, getbent and 6 others like this.
  13. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

Their nests are always nearby. Ditto the spray.

14. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Yellow jackets will build in the ground, in a tree, make paper globe nests hanging from tree branches, from roof gables, and more.

You probably have a big globe nest in one of the trees not too far away and they are continuously kicking out new queens to start up residence in your place.

A couple of years ago I had terrible problems at my house. In the deck lights, from the eves, break in caulk, under shingles, just all over. I ended up finding two trees each with a nest that would get stuck in a basket ball hoop. I didn't want to spray around because I had a regular honey bee hive that year just before the wasps moved in the area. They'd get inside the house through the fireplace or ceiling can lights. Tried the traps.

I put screens over the bottoms of the deck lights. Opossum and skunks dug out nests they found in the ground (hot water at night takes those out if you have no local critters helping you out).Then cans of 20ft spray worked. Don't try it from ladders. Rig up a remote spray arm and hoist that up in the air and pull the rope to blast 'em.

Milspec likes this.
  15. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

I was renovating a house a few years ago. Wasps moved into the shed. I put up one of these. It's kind of like a Chinese lantern. Seemed to work. Some swear by them, some swear at them.
    I think they work best if you put them up before their nest gets big.

Attached Files:

16. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

I had fake gambrel roof appendages on the front of our house when we bought it. It was 20 feet long x 18" deep on each side of the front of the house. Totally loaded with the big red wasps. We got stung moving in, and I made a vow to remove those ugly things. So, the first really cold Saturday of winter I tore them off. Nests all throughout the hollow cavities. When the sun started to warm things up, they tried to return from who knows where, and infested my son's bedroom through a crackin the siding and into the vent in his room. Mean as rattlesnakes.

Milspec likes this.
  17. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I use these and they work quite well

9a96a904060118f432fe369eb8c3b7c6.png

and if they get too close !!!!

61zZz-P9SZL._SX679_.jpg

it can give them an attitude adjustment

Zepfan and Milspec like this.
  18. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

1) Wasp trap. I use sugar water and it works.
    2) Wasp spray for a nest; less than $10 at Walmart.

19. cleanheadsteve

well, looks like i'm not alone

20. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

Call in a pro!

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.