Was Yoko Ono ever taken seriously as a musician, or singer?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Oct 21, 2018.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Everyone who received a paycheck because of her music took it very seriously.

2. midnight340

midnight340 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Come on guys! It is so easy to look at someone else’s life/passion/choices and their work and come up with “that sucks”.
    “Sound like a cat screaming.”
    “My kid could have painted that.”
    “Put a monkey in a room with a typewriter and that’s what you’d get.” Etc.

Like many a musician that loved music enough to spend years on the road trying to get better, trying to survive, while getting to play, I sacrificed most everything for a life as a visual artist ‘70’s-early 2000’s. Relationships, family, money, stability, safety, common sense.

Why? Who knows. When it’s what you are, what you need/have to do it’s what you do.

Many of us develope some craft. That’s definable. Most art happens outside the box. It challenges. It doesn’t comfort, or please.

So when you come across someone and/or their work that you don’t “get” or you’re not comfortable with, at least have some respect and allow them the room and the right to be who they are.

It seems to come down to this:
    Some of us are open to learning, and even enjoy being pushed outside our comfort zone. For others it’s more important to stay with what we already know and understand.

Forever been this way! :)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  3. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

You wildly underestimate John's insatiable desire to piss people off.

Zeonoid and jackinjax like this.
  4. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

sounds like an abbatoir with out a stun gun

Crashbelt and tery like this.
  5. gentlyweeping

gentlyweeping Tele-Meister

Performance art. Yoko may be considered rather tame compared to what is being created out there in the real world.

6. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Didn't some "artist" poop on a canvass once and some of those same highly evolved go all gaga about it?

El Tele Lobo and Ricky D. like this.
  7. RedRiverII

RedRiverII TDPRI Member

Yoko score card.
    John 1
    Rest of the planet 0

Toto'sDad and Ricky D. like this.
  8. nhsdpl

nhsdpl TDPRI Member

See avatar.

Zeonoid, Toto'sDad and micpoc like this.
  9. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

Also, some artists' greatest talent lies in making connections and self-promotion. Whatever talent she may or may not have, she's gotten maximum mileage out of it.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Okay, I went looking on youtube for some examples of her work. This is one of them, not nearly what I would consider the best or worst of them, nonetheless a pretty fair depiction. If you can take it, which to be fair I listened to it, since I was the one posting about her, then listen and tell me that this is music to you. Apparently it was music to her audience which applauded her when she was finished.

My reason for posting about Yoko Ono really was interlaced with a bit of sarcasm that we as guitarist (I'm including myself as a guitarist without any real proof, and really it's kind of along the lines of Yoko's work) often Malign people like John Mayer and Joe Bonamassa who for the most part are far better players than at least in my case I will, or even could be if I had worked at it all my life from day one. As I said I really didn't know anything about Yoko, and the discussion has been interesting, maybe even a real learning experience.

EDITIED TO REFLECT: Okay, and don't take this the wrong way, this is not part of my usual nonsense. I listened to this three times and developed a headache. Maybe I just haven't had enough coffee yet, or maybe it was the video. Either way as a public service announcement listen at your own risk.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    scrapyardblue likes this.
  11. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

I just log in here for that! Of course, then I immediately feel worse.

heltershelton likes this.
  12. Toto'sDad

Now that right there bears the ring of truth!

13. Manual Slim

You’re invited over to listen to some evidence that refutes that statement.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

I sincerely hope you really live in Baltimore if what you say is true. I MIGHT be safe out here in California.

Brian J. likes this.
  15. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't think of her as a musician but a performance artist as someone else has said. While I'm not a fan, I like the fact that people stretch boundries and try to give different perspectives in art and music. She had her thing going before she hooked up with John.

I haven't heard the term "Okie Music" in a long time. In high school I was a rocker, Cream, Led Zep... but I joined a band playing country-rock with a steel guitar player. We were playing a gig and some friends came in and listened for a while and one said to a friend, "Why is Firehead playing Okie Music?" (Firehead was my handle back then as I had flaming red hair often worn in an Afro.:D ) He was kind of shocked that I could like it all.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. Manual Slim

I’ve recorded horrible noise in California too!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

It's not music. It's art. It's a comparison of the mechanical and the organic. She's showing that despite all the progress of the modern world, the human body is still the most expressive, creative and emotive instrument. She's showing that our reliance on technology is slowly stripping us of our own unique voices. She's um, well, she's...

Nah, I don't know what the hell she's doing.

18. Toto'sDad

You know I can understand how your friend was shocked at your playing Okie music, but it kind of reminds me of when I lived in Vegas back in the mid 60s. It was a far different place than it is now. Downtown was still fabulous and lived up to its name of Glitter Gulch. After I got off work out at the Desert Inn, and since I lived within walking distance of down town, I'd walk down there and hang.

I used to listen to the lounge acts at all of the places and I noticed something right away. The rock and roll bands would come over and listen to the country bands at the Golden Nugget all of the time, I mean the whole band not just a member, but I never one time saw the country guys come over and watch a rock group. I think the rockers were there to learn.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Man, I thought I was losing you there for a moment Kel. :eek::D

El Tele Lobo, alathIN and kelnet like this.
  20. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

I can't help thinking, the emperors new clothes ...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.