Was Yoko Ono ever taken seriously as a musician, or singer?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Fluxus Ain't Dead

:mad::p:lol:

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Since I don't know anything about her and that being my reason for the thread, and not belonging to any other forums; How was I to know this? I've already been classified as being unable to appreciate her good works by some of the members as being too common or low in class. So it would seem I am unworthy of your bumpchedness.

rich815 and El Tele Lobo like this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Okay since some of you think I have overstepped the bounds of decensy, I officially disavow Mr. Phelps and relinquish this thread to something or someone better. John M? I am going to watch some football. If y'all get the thread in trouble that gonna be on you.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  4. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

John Lennon on Top Of the Pops... absolute genius. With Yoko, knitting, while blindfolded by a female hygiene product (no not joking, she made sure everyone knew what it was afterwards)...

I am clearly not evolved enough to understand this art form.

5. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

So then, yeah, Linda was taken seriously as a musician. The question can indeed be asked because Linda McCartney was not known as a musician when she met Paul, just like Yoko and John. The fact that Linda learned to sing and play well enough to be in the band with Paul means that the answer to the question is different. However, the question is still valid: Was she ever taken seriously as a musician?

I guess, though, we have to examine the meaning of "taken seriously." Was Linda McCartney actually taken seriously, or was she rather someone who didn't embarrass herself on stage?

Teleterr and Jerry J like this.
  6. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

She mightn’t have had the world fame she achieved. But in fact she was an important part of the avant garde art scene, particularly the Fluxus movement.

Also she was independently wealthy. She is Japanese nobility- her parents were high ranking nobility.

I don’t listen to her stuff much but she certainly wasn’t a no talent who hooked onto John Lennon for his money. John remember could have anyone. And he chose an older avant- garde artist. There are many reasons for this - some we know, some we might surmise and some we’ll never know.

And she’s still active at 85.

Ben-Zion, Norris Vulcan and Alamo like this.
  7. kelnet

Without using Google, how many ordinary folks could name another Fluxus artist from 1966?

8. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

I'm not sure Linda was ever taken seriously as a musician - even Paul McCartney in this interview says that Wings were a terrible group, and that Linda couldn't play keyboards when it formed.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/news/paul-mccartney-wings-were-terrible/

Activist, Photographer, Animal Rights Activist - yes, but as a musician she wasn't accomplished.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

That was thoughtful. We’ve all heard people who poke fun of Linda because she played keyboards with one finger. Paul’s retorts said “they were old synthesizers where you could only play one note at a time.....the sound was written in my song”. I guess somebody had to play it. Linda actually could play it in time and tune with a moving band. Linda could sing and harmonize. Singing is important. Harmony is important. I don’t think that Yoko could do any of these things.

I have so much respect for John Lennon that this topic is painful. John loved Yoko. I believe that John truly loved Yoko and as far as being a musician or performance artist is concerned, Yoko rode on John’s coat tail.

I admire John’s creativity and anti-establishment and free thinking nature but I think John had loving beer goggles on when she sang.

10. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

She was less of a singer, than Hulk Hogan was a wrestler.

ravindave_3600 and HWTele like this.
  11. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Maybe off point, but I figure that if somebody has to explain why something is good, it's not for me.

12. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

As mentioned earlier, some punk and new wave artists cited her as an inspiration. To me, however, her singing sounds like I did when the local anesthetic wore off during my vasectomy.

Toto'sDad, marc2211 and jackinjax like this.
  13. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

If I remember correctly back in the day we were all very fond of John and mostly tolerated her for his sake.

Toto'sDad and 8barlouie like this.
  14. HWTele

HWTele Tele-Holic

Yoko is living proof anyone can call themselves an artist and / or musician.

Music and art is a personal thing I get it ... but personally she makes my ears hurt.

sonicsmitty and Toto'sDad like this.
  15. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Oh for sure. But Fluxus influences other acts such as the velvet underground, David Bowie and frank zappa. Revolution #9 on the Beatles is a Fluxus work. So I guess I could argue John Lennon?

16. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Who?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

At the age of 85 she's just released her twentieth album:

https://www.theatlantic.com/enterta...-new-album-warzone-fearlessly-strange/573478/

As @dlew919 said ^ she was an artist of some standing in the Fluxus movement - probably bigger in Europe ?
    Lennon acquired some avant garde credentials from her, and she got a way into rock'n'roll.
    I think a lot of the antipathy towards her is from the Beatles days, when fans hated her. A lot of sexism around. I mean, she will always be seen in relation to Lennon, not on her own merits.
    Some of her output is challenging, coming from an art direction, but respect where it's due.

Ben-Zion and dlew919 like this.
  18. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

About the only people I believe who took her music seriously were her and John, and those that wanted to kiss his ass. When I see those videos, I wonder what was going on with the band dynamic. Yeah your playing with John Lennon, but how do you say your wife sucks?

HWTele and Toto'sDad like this.
  19. kelnet

If some unknown person came out today with what Yoko Ono does, how much respect would be due?

20. es335dg

es335dg TDPRI Member

Ornette Coleman took her seriously enough to play on her first album.

I've always loved her. I have all her records and the Ono Box.

Say what you want. Sure she isn't everyone's cup of tea. But no one has made music quite like she has.

micpoc and Ben-Zion like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.