Was warned about "Newfangled Contraption" Doing it again.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by teleplayer99, Jun 20, 2021.

1. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Holic

When I sold my AVRI Blackguard to buy a 2012 Select Telecaster a poster with humor wrote the above caption. It was funny since that is a 9 year old guitar. Had to laugh. Could not get used to compound neck. Kept it less than a year.

My point is my 2020 Pro II Tele with Pine body coming Tuesday. On UTube a guy that had his Pro II for several months opened it up.

The pup cavities were black...he thought maybe shielding paint, but the kicker is there a PC board he thinks.

Was going to save for AVRI, but these Pine guitars seem to check all of my boxes. Wish me luck...its online.

2. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Yes, Fender does use black shielding paint on a lot of models including the American Pro IIs. And they have been using small circuit cards for the treble bleed wiring on American Professionals (these started out with point-to-point wiring and moved to the circuit cards along the way - not sure when that change happened though) and for the Greasebucket circuits on the American Performers. I don't believe they ever converted the American Specials to the card wiring; I think they stayed point-to-point. Plus a lot of Fender's pots that have switches in them (S-1 switch pots and push/pull pots) have circuit cards on the bottom. But Fender hasn't moved to pure pc card construction like Gibson does on their "Modern Collection" series, or EBMM, or some others - the only fully pc card model I can remember was the American Deluxe Strat Plus that was made from 2014-2015 that had the "Personality Cards" system.

3. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Holic

Thanks. You have brought me up to date and it all sounds like good news. Best folks are always found here.

John C likes this.
  4. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Holic

Got my Pine guitar today. Fender really got it right with the Pro II. Weighs 6.8 lbs. Plays great sounds incredible. But how do you put it down? Mine is a used 2020. Came with a white pickguard in a G&G tweed case. This telecaster covers a lot of ground with the push/pull series setting. My Gibson's are getting nervous.

baldwindp, swervinbob and superjam144 like this.
  5. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

Pics!

baldwindp likes this.
  6. swervinbob

swervinbob Friend of Leo's

I’ve got the butterscotch blonde pine Pro II. This is only the second guitar I’ve had with series/parallel. I don’t really use it and I’m not big on the push/push tone pot. May get my tech to pull all of that. Other than that, I have no complaints. My Pro I gets the most playing time. It’s tone just fits what I do better.

7. myteleplaysjazz

myteleplaysjazz Tele-Holic

Pics, or it never happened.

superjam144 likes this.
  8. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Holic

Piney IMG_0842.jpg

9. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Very nice. That AP Tele neck is my favorite. I agree with you about the compound radius - it is nice until I tried a C chord on the 8th fret, or any four finger barre chord further up the neck. It is just a bit too flat for me up there. I have a Strat with a 12" radius and don't prefer that neck for the same reason - just a bit too flat for my preference.

10. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Holic

Yeah. The sum of the parts just look good on paper.

11. corliss1

corliss1 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

All the new/recent Fender stuff I've played has been excellent, especially the Pro/Pro II series.

Nahtabot likes this.
  12. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Holic

Its like G.E Smith said about his work on the original Saturday Night. I had other guitars with me, but never did a show without a telecaster. This Pro II makes me choke on my big-mouth words about Fender just changing names without improvement. I was shooting my mouth off with trying the new stuff. Hardly being fair to Fender. They did get it right in the 50's, but they have build on that knowledge. So lesson learned and as a bonus that has me grinning typing this...I own a wonderful 2020 Pine telecaster. Thanks to Fender!!!

superjam144 and Killing Floor like this.
  13. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Holic

Who has an American Pro II. And how do you feel about It?

14. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

I have a pro 1 love it. The pro 2 looks fantastic. They really impressed me with the colors and hardware.

That wood grain is outstanding. Looks mature, like this guy knows tons of chords type of guitar.

15. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Holic

I am impressed with everything about it. Plus it came used with that poodle case I mentioned. Its a 2020. Gotta be a story there. Any American standard is a pro instrument. I don't get it. But that is why they make guitars for everyone. Just wasn't this cats bag.

16. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nice guitar - I was going to say that switching to a black or tort guard was essential before I saw the pic. I'm not usually terribly fond of white on natural, but that one does look sweet as it is! Of course, I find my aesthetic preferences changing frequently these days! Congrats and enjoy!

teleplayer99 likes this.
  17. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Holic

After viewing Utube with a guy going under the hood and seeing the shielding paint, I bought 1/2 pint for $50 at Amazon. Free shipping vs $16 at stew mac and this comes from Stew Mac but with free shipping. How great is a totally quiet Tele.

18. mkdaws32

Great, indeed! I shield most of mine with copper tape, more work but the same result. I was happy to discover my two MIK and my MIA Fenders were all factory shielded (with the paint)

19. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Holic

Not to rain on your parade(and I could be wrong) but my broth has used copper tape with the joint soldered and I still hear a bit of noise. This paint is silent. Silent single coils...magic. To each his own.

20. mkdaws32

Been doing it for years :). Performance seems the same to me as the one that have factory paint shielding. You just gotta make sure to get full coverage with the tape, good continuity between seams and solidly ground it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.