Was very impressed with a MIM Tele today!

NW_TELE

TDPRI Member
I have never owned a MIM Tele, and have never really considered one as any time i played one in a shop it just didn't feel great.

Today however, that definitely changed. I went to my local GC and saw this beauty in the used section for $619. Staff said it was an immediate trade in that had almost no hours on it (owner didnt like the noiseless pickups). Virtually new. This was by far the heaviest Tele i have ever played, but man did it play good. The frets were perfect and the neck was nice and chunky. Felt notable bigger than my American Performer.

I know very little about these guitars and to be honest, didn't know this model existed. Here is some pics i snapped. I am very tempted, if still there, to snag it for the price. The only downside to me was how heavy it was. But these days i mainly play sitting down.

Ill also add they had the new Player Plus in stock. The one in aged candy is super nice looking in person.. Looks very good.

Tele 1.jpg Tele 2.jpg Tele 3.jpg

Chuckster

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I love my MIM Antigua Tele... a little heavy but worth it.

Hopefully yours doesn't slip away... act fast.

AxemanVR

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
...man did it play good. The frets were perfect and the neck was nice and chunky ...Looks very good.
`
Yeah, but do you like how it sounds? Playing and looking good without sounding fantastic is a deal breaker for me...

`

geetaruke

TDPRI Member
I’ve mentioned this here a few times over the past couple of months.

In August I won a sort of 241 Fender promotion at a big box shop in Canada. I bright home an American Performer Tele and Mexican 50s Vintera Road Worn Tele on the same day. The Mexican model is the far superior guitar, and it’s not particularly close. At least as far as the two particular guitars I have at home are concerned.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Most of my instruments are USA made, not all but most. I am very impressed with my MiM Tele neck and it is every bit as well made as my MiA. The fret work on my 2020 MiM neck was game ready while my MiA had some rough ends. Just saying there is no reason to devalue MiM Fenders. The employees in Ensenada do great work and CNC tools don’t know where they are installed. It’s all the same parts from the same sources. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another.

Please follow the instructions on the back of the neck plate, don’t throw away that beautiful Tele.

NW_TELE

TDPRI Member
`
Yeah, but do you like how it sounds? Playing and looking good without sounding fantastic is a deal breaker for me...

`
Admittedly, i played it unplugged for the majority of the time. Just very light amp play as the store was crowded the whole time i was there. I can't speak to how much I would like the pickups for example.

AxemanVR

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Admittedly, i played it unplugged for the majority of the time. Just very light amp play as the store was crowded the whole time i was there. I can't speak to how much I would like the pickups for example.

Call me a pessimistic tone snob (as it applies to guitars) but I pretty much expect most guitars will NOT meet my expectations for sound quality.

You really need to get that thing in an amp room and crank that sucker up to a decent level - anything less will not provide enough sonic detail for you to make a well-informed decision.

Like mama always says; “Don’t marry the first pretty face that comes along... she might lack character”.

Anyway, there might be a reason that thing’s on sale...

Last edited:

medownsouth

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
IMO the mim models are a far better value than the current mia prod guitars. By value I mean: quality and utility versus price paid. The only 2 production teles I would buy atm are the new Player Plus Nashville (MIM) and the American Pro series, but the 12" radius on the Nashville Tele has me leaning in that direction. Only reason I might end up going for the mia is because they are cheaper used than the mim nashville plus

NW_TELE

TDPRI Member
IMO the mim models are a far better value than the current mia prod guitars. By value I mean: quality and utility versus price paid. The only 2 production teles I would buy atm are the new Player Plus Nashville (MIM) and the American Pro series, but the 12" radius on the Nashville Tele has me leaning in that direction. Only reason I might end up going for the mia is because they are cheaper used than the mim nashville plus

The neck was REALLY good on this guitar. The frets were perfect and it felt bigger and a different shape. The 12" radius (if thats whats on it) could of been another reason.

medownsouth

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Yep 12" radius, that one has the narrow tall frets on it. The went w/ MJ's on the 2021. Superb guitars all around. I'd buy it

JohnFender

TDPRI Member
Nothing wrong with mim fender, great guitars! I have a mim strat and a mim tele, love them both

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
It’s your hands and your ears. No one else’s opinion matters. As the OP says, the weight is no big deal playing seated. My advice to anyone contemplating a purchase like this one is to bring your own amp to the store and play at your usual volume. As for me, I’m not a fan of VN Strat pickups. They don’t come alive until the volume is louder than what I’m used to. They’re not articulate enough for me playing finger style at low volume. They may be exactly right for someone else. Your amp and your ears will tell you if they’re right for you.

Southpaw Tele

Friend of Leo's
I love my MIM Player Tele. I haven’t done anything to it besides changing out the pots for more lefty friendly ones and I may switch out the bridge pickup to a Chopper T for noise reduction. The Twisted Tele neck pickup it comes with is awesome, noise and all.

LOSTVENTURE

Friend of Leo's
I have never owned a MIM Tele, and have never really considered one as any time i played one in a shop it just didn't feel great.

Today however, that definitely changed. I went to my local GC and saw this beauty in the used section for $619. Staff said it was an immediate trade in that had almost no hours on it (owner didnt like the noiseless pickups). Virtually new. This was by far the heaviest Tele i have ever played, but man did it play good. The frets were perfect and the neck was nice and chunky. Felt notable bigger than my American Performer.

I know very little about these guitars and to be honest, didn't know this model existed. Here is some pics i snapped. I am very tempted, if still there, to snag it for the price. The only downside to me was how heavy it was. But these days i mainly play sitting down.

Ill also add they had the new Player Plus in stock. The one in aged candy is super nice looking in person.. Looks very good.

View attachment 910870 View attachment 910871 View attachment 910872
I have that same model, even the same color, and it is very nice. That, and my 2006 Baja, are both great example of what the MIM models can be.