Was there a British "Wrecking Crew?"

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Paul in Colorado, Sep 6, 2019.

1. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The question was conjecture on a “Wrecking Crew”, which directly implies studio musicians playing (not engineering or mixing) for name artists without album credit. Then the assertion was made that Beatles music was produced in a similar fashion, along with other British artists. In that context “booth” = “studio”.

2. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I always thought that was Beck on that track! I went looking, and Wikipedia clears absolutely nothing up...

"There is some dispute over the musicians who performed on the song. In the booklet that came with Donovan's 1992 double CD, Troubadour: The Definitive Collection 1964–1976, Allan Holdsworth and Jimmy Page are listed as the electric guitar players and John Bonham and Clem Cattini (spelled as "Clem Clatini") as drummers on the recording. John Paul Jones, who arranged and played bass on the track (and also booked the session musicians), was reported to have said by email that Clem Cattini played the drums and Alan Parker played the electric guitar. This line-up was confirmed by Cattini. In Donovan's autobiography, he credits Cattini (spelled as "Catini") and Bonham for the drums. In a published interview circa 2013, Donovan is quoted as primarily crediting Cattini for the drums but saying he wasn't sure whether Bonham was also involved, and said he and Jones both credit Holdsworth for the guitar.

On Jimmy Page's website, he lists this song as one on which he plays. Engineer Eddie Kramer also cites Jimmy Page as playing on the track, but says that John Bonham did not. Donovan said that Page was the guitarist in Hannes Rossacher's 2008 documentary Sunshine Superman: The Journey of Donovan, where he also asserted that the song ushered in the Celtic rock sound which would lead to Page, Jones, and Bonham forming Led Zeppelin soon afterwards. In Donovan's autobiography, he credited both Page and "Allen Hollsworth" as the "guitar wizards" for the song. However, he also says that "Hollsworth" had played with Blue Mink, which was a band that Alan Parker had played in. In the autobiography, Donovan said that perhaps this session inspired the creation of Led Zeppelin.

The four-string tambura that Donovan plays on the track had been given to him in India by George Harrison, who also helped write the lyrics. In his autobiography, Donovan recalls that he began writing "Hurdy Gurdy Man" on the tambura after Harrison discussed the sitar scales he had learned from Ravi Shankar. Donovan also says that with the drone of the tambura on the song, he had created "Celtic Rock".

The session was produced by Mickie Most and engineered by Eddie Kramer. Donovan had originally hoped Jimi Hendrix would play on the song, but he was unavailable. In fact, Donovan said he wanted to give the song to Hendrix for him to record, but that Mickie Most "flipped out" when he heard the song and insisted that Donovan should record it himself as his next single."

- D

3. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I meant the control room. Of course they were allowed in the studio.

4. Paul in Colorado

No, I said "recording booth." Not studio.

bcorig likes this.
  5. Paul in Colorado

I was thinking more of pre-psychedelia-British Invation era records as far as time period.

I've read that it wasn't Page on "Hurdy-Gurdy Man" but I can't remember the name of the guy who did. It wasn't Allen Holdsworth.

6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Clapton could almost qualify! Did recording work and/or touring with:
    Yardbirds

John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers.

Cream

Blind Faith

George Harrison/Beatles

Delaney and Bonnie

Rolling Stones Rock & Roll Circus

BB King

Buddy Guy

John Lennon

Dr. John,

Leon Russell,

Plastic Ono Band,

Billy Preston,

Ringo Starr

Dave Mason.

Howlin' Wolf, Hubert Sumlin

Rolling Stones,

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  7. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

I see your Hurdy Gurdy Man and raise you a Barabajagal.

Some heavy hitters on this session it seems. Some contention over who did what though. I’ve read Jeff Beck & Ron Wood handling guitar and bass respectively, other accounts saying it was the whole Jeff Beck Group, and Wikipedia says this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barabajagal

Pax/
    Dean

StrangerNY likes this.
  8. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Tele-Meister

Chas Hodges got about a bit, too. A great musician and a lovely man.

beagle, aging_rocker and Pechorin like this.
  9. tomkatf

tomkatf Tele-Afflicted

Mentioned several times but John Paul Jones played bass, keyboards, guitar, mandolin, arranged songs, arranged string/horn parts and booked musicians for sessions...

"Jones has stated that, as a session musician, he was completing two and three sessions a day, six and seven days a week. However, by 1968 he was quickly feeling burnt out due to the heavy workload: "I was arranging 50 or 60 things a month and it was starting to kill me." "

10. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Jimmy Page was in the studio when The Who recorded their first session but he was there as a backup in case Pete Townshend wasn't up to the job, turns out he wasn't needed so doesn't actually play on any of the recordings.

stevemc likes this.
  11. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Who was the American record producer that did the Who? Forgetting names lately.

12. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Not true. There was one song - one song - where another drummer was brought in to replace Ringo. And then they recorded it with Ringo too. One version went on the album, the other on the single. After that, it was decided that Ringo was good enough.

13. Paul in Colorado

Yeah, but he wasn't part of a group of studio musicians turning out hits. He was usually part of the band or the project front man or featured artist.

14. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Shel Talmy

15. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Actually it wasn't a case of Ringo being good enough - just George Martin thinking Ringo was playing 'Love Me Do' with the wrong 'feel'. He didn't really know them well at that point and maybe was over-producing - but has apologized since to Ringo and he turned out to be a 'pretty good' producer ;)

16. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I know what you wrote. You implied the Beatles didn’t play their own music. If that’s not the case that’s good.

17. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Apparently Ringo was unhappy with George for a long while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Meister

There was a studio band in London that played on a lot of Serge Gainsbourg's more psychedelic catalog: Alan Parker, Dave Richmond (great bass sound) among them, maybe? Great records.

dlew919 likes this.
  19. RL52

RL52 Tele-Meister

Would be great to see a list of his work.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.