"Was the [guitar, amp, etc.] stored in a non-smoking environment?"

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I bought a pawn shop special 96 am made strat 250.00 CDN , I call it my blood and guts special, it had an 8hr marathon of stripping all the components and deep cleaning the biohazard off of it, unidentifiable almost radio active matterial , it was a mess.
but the price was right, it has a 50 year of strat medallion imbedded in the back of the headstock not a bad lefty I might add.
it may have been used for some satanic sacraficial ritual, judging by what I removed , a proper bath ,set up , new strings ( it only had 3 finger snot laiiden strings on it at the time of purchase) a good set up and shes pretty again. a full set of Lace alumatone singles and she rocks .

Sargent Pepper

Tele-Meister
Some of you mention cat urine smell.

I owned a rental house for 12 years and for the first 6 years the renter was a good tenant. I would go there and do minor repairs and pick up rent , an occasional walk through , and things were normal.

Eventually the guy suggested he would do repairs since rent was reasonable, and he started meeting me at the driveway to pay, and later still started paying by PayPal. I thought this was awesome. I mean, what is going to change much after 6 years. Right?

Long story shorter I became aware a few years later that he had like 25 to 30 cats there. Totally trashed my house. When i evicted him i had to clean cat feces out of every room and on every surface except the master bedroom where he apparently holed up. It was horrible. And yes, he obviously has issues.

I eventually sold it for about 75% of the market value in that subdivision and felt lucky to get that much.

This is feces…edit to note that was after cleaning most of it out of the tub. It was over a half tub full, front to back, when i started

Edit again to say a little smoke doesn’t bother me though I don’t smoke. This bothered me.

Attachments

• 8FC9D88E-8B9F-4984-834B-1C4C7EE232CA.jpeg
    8FC9D88E-8B9F-4984-834B-1C4C7EE232CA.jpeg
    436 KB · Views: 21
  • C30FDE11-C53C-4153-BAB5-2C75804DEFA3.jpeg
    C30FDE11-C53C-4153-BAB5-2C75804DEFA3.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Holic
Some of you mention cat urine smell.

I owned a rental house for 12 years and for the first 6 years he was a good tenant. I would go there and do minor repairs and pick up rent , an occasional walk through , and things were normal.

Eventually the guy suggested he would do repairs since rent was reasonable, and he started meeting me at the driveway to pay. I thought this was awesome. I mean, what is going to change much after 6 years. Right?

Long story shorter I became aware a few years later that he had like 25 to 30 cats there. Totally trashed my house. When i evicted him i had to clean cat feces out of every room and on every surface except the master bedroom where he apparently holed up. It was horrible. And yes, he obviously has issues.

I eventually sold it for about 75% of the market value in that subdivision and felt lucky to get that much.

This is feces…edit to note that was after cleaning most of it out of the tub. It was over a half tub full, front to back, when i started

Edit again to say a little smoke doesn’t bother me though I don’t smoke. This bothered me.
I used to work for a local engineering company and I was in the environmental department. We'd do environmental studies on properties that were involved in real estate transactions. We encountered a couple of houses like that - we'd have to go in there wearing Tyvek suits to take photos/document what we found. Fleas were also a major problem when visiting those sites. In one case, the property owner opted to have the house bulldozed....

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
A hard-surfaced guitar can probably be cleaned fully (except PU windings) but amps are absorbent, and cannot. My parents both chain smoked and no way will I enjoy a smoke-scented amp. Period. Of course people smoke, and that's not my lookout; their stuff can go to other smokers, so fine. But for many of us, it's a deal-killer, not (I hope!) some moral judgment. But, again, I would be confident about cleaning a guitar. I do that for every used instrument I get. Who wants someone else's heavily-handled item without cleaning it?

Sargent Pepper

Tele-Meister
I guess it’s just my age (66) and having played in so many smoky old bars but I actually kind of like the smell emanating from those nasty old amps and gear. Kind of like the oil and gasoline smell of old muscle cars and harley davidsons. And besides that I remember when the smell of cigarettes and alcohol on the breath of a pretty lady improved my chance of getting really lucky, like i outkicked my coverage just by playing a ratty guitar and being in the right place at the right time.

Sex, drugs, and rock and roll
Or
Wine, women, and song ?

Yes

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Holic
A hard-surfaced guitar can probably be cleaned fully (except PU windings) but amps are absorbent, and cannot. My parents both chain smoked and no way will I enjoy a smoke-scented amp. Period. Of course people smoke, and that's not my lookout; their stuff can go to other smokers, so fine. But for many of us, it's a deal-killer, not (I hope!) some moral judgment. But, again, I would be confident about cleaning a guitar. I do that for every used instrument I get. Who wants someone else's heavily-handled item without cleaning it?
I've taken my guitars into friends' houses to jam, but left the case in the car (porous). You can wipe down a guitar.

Billy3

Tele-Afflicted
Screenshot-2022-07-26-at-15.04.36.png

You guys act like you've never played vintage gear. It is virtually impossible to do so without catching the aroma of history. Some call it "stank." I even wrote an article about it on my website, HERE.

Bob
That's the kind of amp that can make you play with a little more "It". Talk about mojo. That amp makes me want to start drinking and smoking again. 🤣

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
"Here kitty, kitty, kitty..."

The previous owner's cat had used this guitar's case as a litterbox while the guitar was inside but the lid wasn't closed. I got the guitar for $27. I can't complain about the thick, indestructible, poly finish on these guitars since nothing soaked into the wood. I did have to replace other components though.

View attachment 1027906
Must have made the cat angry.

All my years cleaning carpets and deodorizing homes, I found that cats could be very evil. A dog might chew your shoes or something if upset, but a cat acts more like a vindictive ex-girlfriend looking to key the side of your car. They will seek out what you value and urinate all over it. It could be your favorite chair, favorite coat, etc. or in severe cases, they will just urinate into the vents.

Don't get me wrong, I grew up with a cat being my best buddy until I was 8 years old, but you better not cross them.....they have a very good memory.

Ryan0594

Tele-Holic
Everything / everyone was exposed to smoke up until a certain year (changes depending where you live - 2005 here I think?)

Nowadays, it's not even a question!

Ringo

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't smoke and prefer to buy non smoke smelling gear, but guitars can be cleaned up as well as cases, amps too but they take a LOT more work.

I have an auto upholstery business, some of the used cars and retail customer's cars for that matter, the smoke odor will about knock you down. And then there is the skunk weed, PEW!!!
When you smoke I guess it doesn't bother you or isn't noticeable, for non smokers it can be an issue. No moral judgement, if you're an adult you can do what you want, it's your choice and your body.

rz350

Friend of Leo's
I have a '79 Stratocaster that has never had smoke near it or the case, it's only been out of my house twice.....(Hint: It's the one that's not white....
strats.jpg

ClashCityTele

Friend of Leo's
When I sell on eBay I always say 'from a smoke free home' especially with clothes & books.

Can't say 'pet free' but my music gear is stored well away the cats.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
I could never understand folks who buy cars and guitars brand new.
They do the exact same stuff but cost twice the price.
Im glad though, they lose money so I or we can get better deals on used gear.
Hell I truly dislike stuff that looks brand new and also dont really like banging and scuffing it up.

I do recall when everything smelled like tobacco smoke and smoking was everywhere.
Seldom is a smoke tainted object too objectionable to own and either clean up or wait out.
A smoked-in car is nasty.