1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Was SRV the first to have SRV tone?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by sax4blues, Jan 25, 2021.

1. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

Today I watched another “How to get SRV tone” YouTube. Strat, loud clean American style amp, TubeScreamer,....

Pretty basic right, no secret sauce. So made me wonder was SRV the first player to use that combination, and therefore create the SRV tone?

That Cal Webway likes this.
  2. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

Well the TS808 didn't come out until the late 70's and Dumbles weren't their own amps until the 80s, so certainly he was probably the first to make the sound popular.

guitrr likes this.
  3. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

When I hear SRV (and I’m not his biggest fan I must admit), I mostly hear his right hand. To me that’s really what made him sound like himself.
    I know it’s a bit of a cliché to say, but his signature tone was really in his hands IMHO.

guitrr, choops, StevesBoogie and 11 others like this.
  4. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Maybe.
    He was not the first to play many of those licks but he made them his own.
    If someone else did run across that tone before him, they didn’t do much with it.

5. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

I kind of dont think so. I remember when he arrived on the scene, the sound of his guitar was super super distinctive. Nobody and I mean nobody was flogging that front stratocaster pickup in such a fashion. Maybe his brother and other select Texans, but it was unique for sure.

6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I've heard Dave Alvin from the Blasters with that similar Strat into cranked big clean Super Reverb that predates SRV.

But a more Chuck Berry, R&R style - great musician, Dave!

Also in a similar vein early David Hidalgo/ Los Lobos ( he later got more distorted and experimental) ,
    and the guitar from the Paladins

Just pointing out some strong, no frills rockers

7. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

You know, thinking about SRV and his tone, I think he might owe a quite a bit of that “tone” to Robin Trower. That may be who he really sounds like.

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Though his tone proudly shows his influences, he did have a great, signature tone.
    He was wonderfully relentless, and his gear could keep up with his creative force.
    I’m glad I saw/heard him play.
    I actually like his singing as much as his playing.
    He was stylish, but never jive.

guitrr, Big_Bend, E5RSY and 9 others like this.
  9. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

Yeah good call, Dave Alvin does that “thing” as well.

10. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

SRV: Vibrato, Vibrato, Vibrato. even on rhythm guitar.

that's what i hear when i listen close on good headphones.

guitrr and StevesBoogie like this.
  11. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Yes...and no, lol.

He's damn close to what I think is live Albert King tone from '60-'72 or so (problem is, not enough live albert king recordings from the 60's), detuned heavy crunch with some funky honk.

Total Albert King.

However, his actual playing style is closer to shuffle and boogie woogie than to the classic bluesmen which might sound odd, but it's all in his syncopation. The way his right hand just stays on the boogie whack a chunk left hand piano thing although had it's roots in many 50's Memphis rockers he put that playing on steroids. And, landing on the damn downbeat all the time, lol.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    guitrr, rze99, goonie and 5 others like this.
  12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Yes and no.

SRV sounded a lot like Albert King...and Jimi Hendrix...and Hubert Sumlin...and Lonnie Mack...and...

You get the point.

SRV added and removed things from his rig throughout his career.

So many people make a huge deal out of his “TS808 and two 1964 Vibroverbs” rig, forgetting that the 808 was stolen fairly early on and he often used the “lesser” (other people’s opinions, not mine) TS10...

Also, he later got the Dumble(s) and the Marshall Town & Country amps...

His rig changed, but his sound/tone/whatever didn’t, at least not significantly. Listen to “In The Beginning” (pre-“Texas Flood” live radio show, with Jackie Newhouse on the Fender Bass) and then “In Step” (amongst his final recordings with Double Trouble) and then “Family Style”...and he still sounds exactly like Stevie Ray Vaughan, every time.

13. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

I’m going to throw this out there, and I may be completely wrong, but in my opinion, that “SRV thing” is something you have to be born west of the Mississippi River to really do.

14. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

When it came to SRV's playing and sound, I always thought of Robin Trower playing through a Fender amp instead of the Marshall stack.

15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh man, evabody know it was da hat. It poured out of the hat right into his head, down his neck, out through his shoulders down his arms, and into his hands. It was the hat though, the hat.

16. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I don't find his tone all that distinctive. It just sounds like a classic Fender. If you've ever beat on one loud through a big American amp, that's just how they sound. Put it in front of a corny, modern sounding, plodding, Disneyland-esque caricature of "a Texas blues band," and you have the SRV sound.

chickenwire likes this.
  17. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Doesn’t really matter, he owns it in the majority of folk’s minds.
    He could have employed any tone and still sounded great. Listen to his cover of Little Wing. It’s obviously very Hendrixy.

There was a time when I was infatuated with SRV but not any longer. I rarely, if ever listen to him now. I may have played his music so much that it became cliche’ to me or my tastes just changed.

BluesGuitarMart and Danb541 like this.
  18. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

I'm not sure there's one particular "SRV tone." I've heard live recordings where his guitar sounds great. And some where it sounds grating.

I know he used different amps, Bassman, Marshalls, Dumbles, Twins, Super Reverbs, etc. He also played different Strats. Were the pickups different?

His style was really distinctive--and I'll agree with those who suggested it was largely due his right hand technique. But I don't always love his tone.

I don't know if it was the different amps or something else that affected the tone from time to time. But it wasn't always the same.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  19. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

the real stevie tone IMO came from the studio where his techs had him setup. stevies tone came from the skill of the techs who could re create stevies tones that he heard in his head and was able to emulate them in real time :)

great guitar players always have some of the best techs in the world. if they dont then they arent that good..

guitrr likes this.
  20. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Down 1/2 step constantly in the in-between positions with a fat sounding setup is absolutely "SRV" once the playing becomes in his style.

No one ever confuses a regular tuned up Clapton in the 70's with SRV....even though their gear was so similar.

guitrr and SRHmusic like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.