Was KISS cool? “Real rockers didn’t listen to kiss”

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fretting out, Mar 21, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

@blowtorch ’s thread about his new ACE album got me thinking about something I’ve talked to my dad about

He was born in the mid 60’s so is in the kiss demographic
    But....
    I’ve asked him about kiss many times and although he likes/respects them now he always says that in the 70’s 80’s kiss was not for “real” rockers and relegated to nerds and 12 year old boys pretty much

Do any of you guys from that period share this experience in your area?

Kind of surprised me because of all the people I listen to that cite kiss as an influence (although some of the guys were those 12 year old nerds)

harleytech, Alex_C, hepular and 8 others like this.
  2. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

Yeah....

Back in the day I "wanted" to like Kiss.... but the 12 year old kid thing kept me away...

Now I don't care about all that, and can admit that I liked them back then, and still do.

3. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Interesting, I’m interested to know if it was like this all over, I didn’t know if it was just relegated to where I live or if it’s a general consensus

RowdyHoo likes this.
  4. bendecaster

bendecaster Friend of Leo's

I'm 62 and just could never understand why so many people around 10-ish, or so, years younger than myself really dig them, STILL. I know it was the makeup thing that initially turned me away, but they sure do have many, many dedicated fans. Not for me, but I'm too old to be cool any way, so who knows about what is or isn't cool. If you like them, I'm not going to dump on your parade.

5. green_henry

green_henry Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I'm in the same demographic, and KISS was a cool band with a lot of haters. I wonder how many fans of the Replacements' version of Black Diamond realize it's a KISS song. I think Destroyer was their pinnacle, and they should have worked with Bob Ezrin more (but I'm a big fan of early Alice Cooper, so I'm biased).

6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If your rock band is named 'Kiss' it's ...forget it. Contradiction setting at overload. Yeah I was born in 1979, what of it???

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah it was totally 12-year-old nerds. I was 12 when that solo album came out, but I was more of a Elvis / Chuck Berry man. I HATED KISS back then. I clearly recall going into the record stores and turning all the KISS albums upside down and backwards in the bins.

Bassman8, AAT65, Denton and 10 others like this.
  8. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

I was in high school through the sixties (class of '70). Kiss came along in the seventies and appealed to a younger, more pop-oriented crowd. None of my friends were ever into them. They were a set-piece stage show, not very spontaneous or inventive. Not outlaws, not trouble-makers, not over the edge.

But cool is in the eye of the beholder. There's no right or wrong answer. I don't think anyone can nail down what "real rockers" are, either, but Kiss did seem like a pack of posers to me.

On the other hand, I can't name a single Kiss song, so what do I know? Nuthin!

9. Broadmoor74

Broadmoor74 Tele-Meister

KISS was my first live concert. They are my all time favorite band. I don’t care who knows it. I don’t care if people think that’s dumb. Perhaps it is an illness, but I’m ok with that.

10. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Growing up in NY through the 60s and immersed in rock, blues, jazz, and pop my friends and me did not respect KISS. We thought it was more of a gimmick.

11. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

We always thought KISS was kind of a joke band back when I was a kid in the 70s. All hat and no cattle like they say.

Ronzo, johnnylaw, ucnick and 14 others like this.
  12. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

LEGACY

srblue5, NICQ, ViciousDoctor and 5 others like this.
  13. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Holic

Kiss was sort of a “gateway” band for me. Songs like Detroit Rock City gave me a taste for heavy music that I’ve kept into my 50’s. It was Kiss that led me into Sabbath, Priest, Deep Purple, etc.

14. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

I can't get into them. I never could. The only thing I ever bought by them with my own money was Revenge - the album where they tried to be more "trve metal" as opposed to their standard schlocky party rock. I liked the single from it but nothing else on it.

Also, Gene Simmons is a repulsive individual to me, but Paul Stanley seems like a good guy and the real talent of the band.

15. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Friend of Leo's

Yep, definitely in the UK they were looked on as a joke band, unless you were 12 year old nerd. No one took them seriously, at least no-one I knew...

Bob Mc, brookdalebill, CCK1 and 6 others like this.
  16. blowtorch

"Hide Your Heart"?

17. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I can't name one Kiss song right now, but I do know that they were quite popular at one time, and for all I know, they still might be.

I never paid much attention to them, but I have always felt that their stage outfits were silly, but I also know that they made butt-loads of money wearing them, and heaven forbid, I don't begrudge them that.

18. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I still have the first media bit I saw from our Weekly Reader in grade school. Around Destroyer era? 2 small pics I think. I was hooked at the imagery and colors.

Rock & Roll Over/Love Gun/Alive II really was the end for me. I just grew out of it, but still have the key songs in my tunes. Some held up well, or as well as they could hope for.

Yes Destroyer was their peak. They've never eclipsed the 3 I listed above, which shouldn't have been hard. Also, without a doubt, one of the worst shows I've ever been to, about '86. If I'd had driven I would have left my friends to fend for themselves.

Still own some of that old 70's memorabilia.

19. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

I do that in the supermarket checkout to magazines I don't like! Glad to hear I'm not alone on this mission.

20. blowtorch

I was 12

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.