Was just assaulted whilst walking home.

Intubator

Tele-Afflicted
Bawlmer, Merlin- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
Your ER medical diagnosis from the injury would be part of the proof of being assaulted. Regarding the "can't be seen on CCTV" are folks in your area supposed to have constant video surveillance in every public place for proof of being attacked?... The question I'd ask the police, mayor, city/county council.. Very sorry for your trauma, hope you recover both physically and psychologically soon.

Spox

Tele-Meister
oh, I took your location reference to mean Montreal, Quebec, thus the French

I would still move.

Sounds like violence is too common in your hood for me.
I feel as though I maybe tempted fate by using the Racoon City of the Resident Evil games for my location.

Spox

Tele-Meister
Your ER medical diagnosis from the injury would be part of the proof of being assaulted. Regarding the "can't be seen on CCTV" are folks in your area supposed to have constant video surveillance in every public place for proof of being attacked?... The question I'd ask the police, mayor, city/county council.. Very sorry for your trauma, hope you recover both physically and psychologically soon.
I live in an area in which the official line is that there is zero crime and to suggest otherwise is a one way ticket to Palookaville.

Mouth

Tele-Afflicted
I live in an area in which the official line is that there is zero crime and to suggest otherwise is a one way ticket to Palookaville.

I'd have real fun with that. Sounds like you don't have anything to lose.

jays0n

Friend of Leo's
Oh man, hope you are okay, and that you do go get checked out. I hear ya on not wanting to leave but … man there are places to you can walk where you like. I think will soon forget where you came from. In the 90s I moved from LA to SF alone with almost no contacts up here. Was scary but I soon acclimated and forgot about where I grew up, and how comfortable I was there.

Best wishes to ya.

j

Spox

Tele-Meister
Oh man, hope you are okay, and that you do go get checked out. I hear ya on not wanting to leave but … man there are places to you can walk where you like. I think will soon forget where you came from. In the 90s I moved from LA to SF alone with almost no contacts up here. Was scary but I soon acclimated and forgot about where I grew up, and how comfortable I was there.

Best wishes to ya.

j
I've been to SF twice, it was the first ever place I visited in US, I flew to there and had bought an Amtrak pass and rode the trains to New York. Never been to LA. I completely hear what you are saying, I got an emergency move into this area out of somewhere which is what this place has turned into. I kind of feel as though my back is against the wall, I've been forced out of three houses prior to this by area violence and this is where I am from but in saying that almost no one I grew up with has stayed so I am holding onto a ghost and because my mum is on the edge of the area and I walk there most evenings.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
What a pain in the butt. Hopefully you just strained your rib cage when you swung at the guy, and it's not anything with your heart. Agreed with the others, I wouldn't wear earbuds when walking in an area like that. Head up and on a swivel, and carry a big stick.

Spox

Tele-Meister
What a pain in the butt. Hopefully you just strained your rib cage when you swung at the guy, and it's not anything with your heart. Agreed with the others, I wouldn't wear earbuds when walking in an area like that. Head up and on a swivel, and carry a big stick.
I was recently diagnosed with costochondritis so my chest and ribcage feel strained at the best of times.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
Sounds like a typically horrific night in a UK city and it all seems to be getting worse.
Sorry to hear you've been on the wrong side of NEDs this evening. I grew up in some of those neighbourhoods. In fact getting out of Dodge to the sticks 5 years ago has a lot to do with having enough of the sectarian half-wits where I was living.

I don't know what part of the country you're in but it seems to be getting worse.

It's probably worth a visit to A&E to make sure you're all right but those places at this time of night are every bit as bad as police stations, especially if you turn up on foot. You'll end up sitting in the waiting room for 4 or 5 hours while they triage the drunks to get rid of them as soon as they can.
Phone NHS24 (111 I think) in the first instance, they probably send the paramedics round; another 3 hour wait but at least it will be more comfortable being at home. They might decide you need to go into A&E in which case they'll take you and you'll be seen quicker.

Unfortunately the polis will sit on their hands with this incident.

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
Man, this is terrible news. Hope you feel OK soon, if not you really should get yourself checked out, A&E hassles not withstanding.

jays0n

Friend of Leo's
I've been to SF twice, it was the first ever place I visited in US, I flew to there and had bought an Amtrak pass and rode the trains to New York. Never been to LA. I completely hear what you are saying, I got an emergency move into this area out of somewhere which is what this place has turned into. I kind of feel as though my back is against the wall, I've been forced out of three houses prior to this by area violence and this is where I am from but in saying that almost no one I grew up with has stayed so I am holding onto a ghost and because my mum is on the edge of the area and I walk there most evenings.
That’s great. Hope SF was good to ya and that you can visit it again. It’s a little rough around the edges but my wife n I, both transplants here, like it better than the places we came from.

Hope you find your spot or that place turns around.

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Sorry this happened. I’ve been on the receiving end too. It’s a bizarre experience to witness much less be involved in. I hope you’re feeling better soon.

WRHB

Tele-Holic
I grew up in rough neighborhoods. Get a ride home or:
Don’t walk at night. Don’t walk alone. Don’t wear your Walkman. If you have a weapon (stick, crowbar, bat) you carry it in your dominant hand. You don’t swing it, you jab with it. Get yourself a stun gun. Keep it charged and press the button if you think there’s danger. Just the sound will scare some attackers off. If you don’t have a weapon don’t carry anything in your hands (bags, backpacks) so they are free for self defense. The most effective self defense in your situation is go for the groin. Hit, kick, knee, grab, squeeze, pull, stomp… as hard as you can and don’t stop until the threat is removed. Sadly I speak from experience.