Was he the best???

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Don't know about best, but he was certainly the prettiest.

Pretty as a melodic concept.

I'm old enough to remember discussions about who was better: Hendrix, Clapton, Garcia, Bloomfield, Santata. Bloomfield was fairly popular among my friends, and I used him as one of my models on how to play electric blues guitar.

Ydwen Jones

Tele-Meister
Well, he was one of the best and is one of my favorite players, anyway.
mike-bloomfield-on-fender.jpg

strat a various

Friend of Leo's
I don't even think Michael Bloomfield was all that good. He tended to rush, and his phrasing was "super-white", IMO. There where a lot of good Blues-Rock players in the past 60 or so years. Bloomfield never impressed me much. He was a rich kid with plenty of free time to practice and go slumming into the Blues scene. I'm not a big Clapton fan, but Eric Clapton buries Bloomfield from any perspective. Neither am I a Stevie Ray fan, but, again, S.R.V. ate Bloomfield's lunch.

The best Blues-Rock guitar player? Johnny Winter would be right at the finish line on that subject.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Them Changes....were a jam
Not sure if Mike was on that one.

Fearnot

Poster Extraordinaire
I had that Guitar Player blues instructional LP he made "If You Love These Blues..." and listened to it constantly for awhile. Although I know I had nowhere near the chops to keep up at that point, I do feel like I learned from it in less obvious ways and I'd love to hear that record again today.

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
he was good, and he was in at the start of a thing.

Yep. I always like to point out to people that the first PBBB album came out BEFORE Mayall's "Bluesbreakers". :cool: Not by much, but it was first.

I'm not a big Clapton fan, but Eric Clapton buries Bloomfield from any perspective.

Really? Not hardly. I find Clapton's playing from that time period more than a little lifeless and robotic. For me, Bloomfield was always the exact opposite.

The best Blues-Rock guitar player? Johnny Winter would be right at the finish line on that subject.

Hear, hear! For my money, the best blues-rock trio of all time was him with Tommy Shannon and Uncle John.

EC_EC002.jpg

strat a various

Friend of Leo's
Yep. I always like to point out to people that the first PBBB album came out BEFORE Mayall's "Bluesbreakers". :cool: Not by much, but it was first.

Really? Not hardly. I find Clapton's playing from that time period more than a little lifeless and robotic. For me, Bloomfield was always the exact opposite.

Hear, hear! For my money, the best blues-rock trio of all time was him with Tommy Shannon and Uncle John.

EC_EC002.jpg

EC_EC002.jpg

My friend was present when Hendrix heard Johnny Winter for the first time ... the story is, Hendrix was a little shell-shocked, and spent some time in awe that Winter played so well, so fast, and so accurately with so much soul. I'll have to ask him where this happened. If my memory doesn't fail me, he said that Hendrix declined playing wherever this meeting occurred (an impromptu jam at a club), because he was a little intimidated by Winter.