Was asked to join a band

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

I’m in the nay camp too.

To me it’s not even about the weighing up of pros and cons or the consideration of ‘things you can learn,’ it’s the fact that there’s an, essentially, insurmountable hurdle - distance x lack of transportation. That’s just a big, fat ‘nope, can’t do it’ right there.

As an aside, the ‘different style to extend yourself’ thing sounds good in theory and I’ve tried it, but even a little difference (& not the polar opposite I’ll have to take your word for :) ) can become an uninspiring chore pretty fast. Which isn’t to say don’t try that, for the benefits, just be aware of what the experience will entail and that at some stage, you’ll have to get out of that place.

Pax/
Dean

dougstrum

Friend of Leo's
Gas prices what they are, too long a drive to play music you are not interested in.
You must be a good player to have a former teacher invite you to join👍
As a good guitarist wait for an opportunity closer to home, and a style that interests you. Something will turn up😉

Doomguy

Tele-Holic
Update:

This whole situation keeps getting weirder to me. I've been told that I'm their number one contender for the spot but two of the band members have never met me or heard me play, this is all based off word of mouth. So like... I don't know, just feels weird. I'm definitely leaning more towards no still. I don't think I'm what this band is looking for really. And financially contributing to the band is impossible for me at the moment. I'm both paying off student loans and saving up to buy a car, I can't contribute to buying gear for the band or whatever they want.

I think I'll be telling them that I'm honored and humbled but will have to turn it down. I don't really feel I fit what they're looking for and am not looking to join a more established band at the moment. I want more say in the name/genre, as petty as that may or may not sound.

Regardless, this whole experience has led me to the conclusion that I definitely need to get my own project going in earnest. I have a lot of riffs archived over here that deserve to actually be used. I'll probably just set up a little one man thing that I can work at on my own time. Record the vocals, bass, and guitars myself, program in some drums.

sax4blues

Poster Extraordinaire
Cons:..,,.
I am largely uninterested in the style of music they are trying to play these days (spacey, technical death metal
I will be investing a lot of time practicing/rehearsing things I don't really care about

I am expected to financially contribute to help the band.

Thoughts? Am I out of my mind here?
I’m pretty sure you answered the question before you asked.

beyer160

Poster Extraordinaire
There are only three reasons to be in a band. Ideally you get all three, but that's rare. You have to get at least one, though-

(in no particular order)

-Having fun
-Making money
-Learning something

Sounds like the first two are off the table, so is the last one worth the time and effort to you? The only person who can really answer this is you, but from the tone of your post I think I know the answer. I suspect you do, too.

bluescaster72

Tele-Holic
I have to say pass I've been in that situation having to learn songs I hated to play or had no interest in I play lead guitar and about the only good thing I have to say about it , is that you will learn new styles that you wouldn't ordinarily play and that will only add to your skill set. But you will not be happy !

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted
I do it for the music. This is death metal, odds are we don't make money off this at all.

Don't get me wrong, I love death metal. Just not the kind they're going for. My true dream is to be involved in a funeral doom/atmospheric/depressive black metal type of project. Almost the complete opposite of what these guys are going for. They want to play fast, complex music and I want to write things that are more about the vibes/feelings more then anything else.
So your not making money but your expected to use your own money to help the band. You'd be losing money, and if you have student loans and still need a car your going to need that money

johnny7

Tele-Meister
Look at it this way....would you pay $75 just for the opportunity to practice with a band and keep in mind this is every practice you are forking out money before the band has even asked you to financially contribute.

My suggestion is to put your education to work. Once you have a job (and maybe a car), then form (or join) a band to play the music you want.

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
My take is simple. The way you talk about the situation clearly reveals that you don't want to do it. Of course we can all give you our "takes," some of us leaning in, others stepping back. So what? A musical commitment is supposed to be a positive thing, so I see no reason why you should go for this since your negatives are many and huge and it's obvious you don't want to do it. Personally, I often join ensembles playing music that is not genberally appealing to me, because I love playing with people and I usually find something enjoyable in whatever we are doing. For instance, I dislike modern country intensely (sorry, folks) but would I enjoy supporting a singer or working on some great arrangements and parts? Sure! But that's me. and for every me, there's someone who would hate that job.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
If you don't dig their genre, you will not enjoy the journey. If they were willing to shift their set to something more acceptable to you, it sounds like a good opportunity. If not, sounds like you will dislike the performance part and likely be stuck doing the load out as the youngster in the group.

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
If you love the music, make it work. You don't, so hard pass. All the rest matters but not as much. You would devote a good chunk of your waking hours to this project, it better be something you love. I can't say I have a clue how "technical dark black metal" is different from "atmospheric black doom metal" or whatever, but that's specialization for you!

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
I’d say no. If I can’t bond with the music/direction it’s a no brainer. Life is too short to make music you don’t like.

Doe74

TDPRI Member
My best, longest in life friend who has also been in 99.9% of the bands I’ve been in lives less than a mile away. I could walk to his house in 5 minutes. He started a band up with some other friends of ours. They practice at his house. All great players. They asked me to join.
pros: close to home, friends, good musicians.
cons: can’t stand the music they want to do.

I declined the offer.