Was 1984-1987 the peak of overproduced slickness?

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
For the last several years we have been in the peak (trough?) of overproduced slickness. IMO the 80s pale in comparison though there was a huge amount of bad music made then as well.
Agree, I've heard professional recordings that sound like Apple's Garage Band, and with overemphasized vocals and instruments.

The 80s drumming isn't always drum machines, they often used effects to make normal drum kits sound like that.

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Meister
If you want to see (or hear) a good example of overproduced slickness, try some of the records that Heart put out for Capitol during that time (namely Heart, Bad Animals and Brigade).

Anything produced during that time by Mutt Lange just smacks of synthesizer gobbledygook. Just listen to Def Leppard circa Pyromania and you'll see what I mean. (It doesn't help that the drummer lost his arm in a car wreck, either).

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Agree, I've heard professional recordings that sound like Apple's Garage Band, and with overemphasized vocals and instruments.

The 80s drumming isn't always drum machines, they often used effects to make normal drum kits sound like that.
That was the era of gated reverb on drums.

Ed Driscoll

Friend of Leo's
Like, what did the actual drummer of Starship even do on this lol? Like "OK, I'll do something over the synth drum rhythm so I can get a million in royalties later lol"....

It's not a bad song; I remember liking it and the accompanying video back in the MTV era. Great vocal by Mickey Thomas, and a fat-sounding Crag Chaquico guitar solo. But just about everything produced by Peter Wolf (not the J. Geils singer) in the mid-1980s had that plastic synthesizer and drum machine sound. He bragged about using all synths on songs like the Commodores' "Nightshift."

The DX-7 and the Linn drum machine were the hot tools of the day, and producers put them on seemingly everything back then. Regarding the latter, I think they were thrilled that they could program beats, keep the tempo locked in, and have everything on the MIDI grid.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
That was the era of quantization. Everyone jumped on it.

And it became so mechanical and soulless and ubiquitous, programmers set about to install a feature that injected 'drift' into the algorithm to make the music seem more human.

Very funny stuff.

Bob M

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Randy Travis released a couple of really well produced albums in the ‘80s. They still sound great today. Maybe the guitars are a little over compressed, but those albums really hold up over time.