Warranty issue

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by alex1fly, Sep 27, 2021.

1. alex1fly

alex1fly Tele-Meister

Hi all, hoping for some perspective. I've been playing guitar and other instruments for 20 years. Picked up a new Squier CV Thinline Telecaster in August 2021 in my hometown in OK, and brought it home to Colorado. The truss rod maxed out before it straightened the neck, so I took it to the local Fender authorized dealer for assessment 2-3 weeks after purchasing it. They couldn't get it to straighten out, either, and said it was visibly bowed even without strings on. They said they'd talk to Fender about a warranty claim so I sent them my receipt. Here we are 6 weeks later and it seems like Fender is not going to do anything about it.

I've never had this issue before. It plays great, intonated fine, sounds awesome, but it sure seems to me - and to the shop - that there's a QC issue with this neck. It should straighten out, and I shouldn't be dealing with a bowed neck when I go above .09s. To replace and fit the neck in kind will cost dang near what I paid for the guitar. Should I take it to another authorized dealer to try again? Contact Fender directly? Just play it until there's a bigger problem?

2. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Afflicted

Based on what, exactly? Did Fender say this to your authorized dealer who said they'd handle it for you?

I'm asking because it sort of sounds like it's the dealer who's dragging their feet.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    KATT likes this.
  3. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I would probably start with Fender. Explain the situation to them.
    Give them the serial number and see if there have been any warranty claims on it.
    Sounds to me like you just need to find a new Fender service center.

Here is Fender's Authorized Dealer Locater...

Authorized Dealer Locator | Fender

4. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire

I don't understand. Was the claim rejected? Was the claim ever received? Was the claim ever sent? What does the shop say is the current status? Are they just waiting for a status from Fender? I would expect Fender to replace the neck or guitar if it was verified bad by an authorized shop.

Fretting out likes this.
  5. alex1fly

alex1fly Tele-Meister

These are all my questions, as well. The shop keeps giving me the runaround and kind of blames Fender, but is giving no hard evidence one way or another. Like it took the first 3 weeks for them to talk to their Fender rep, and over the last 3 weeks I've called to check in and they say Fender is dragging their feet. The dealer also doesn't answer my emails, but confirmed they received the email receipt. Part of me wants to grill them a bit, but I also don't want to make anybody mad so I'm still wearing kid gloves. I also don't have any experience at all dealing with Fender or warranty issues or repairs of this nature, so I don't know how it's supposed to go. The dealer did tell me when I brought the guitar in that Fender warranty claims are 4-ish months out, but since it's a Squier they may just replace the guitar outright. It sounded to me like nobody really knows what's going on, but I dislike being in the dark indefinitely so that's why I'm posting here to get some perspective and possibly advice on how to proceed.

ieatlions and Boreas like this.
  6. rstaaf

Here is the email for Fender Customer Relations. That really is where you need to start here...

consumerrelations@fender.com

Boreas likes this.
  7. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire

This^^^^

8. alex1fly

alex1fly Tele-Meister

Okay, I sent them an email asking for guidance. Thanks for the advice!

Boreas and rstaaf like this.
  9. rstaaf

Let us know how it goes. I have had nothing but positive interactions with Fender Customer Relations.

10. alex1fly

alex1fly Tele-Meister

From the shop:

Hi Alex. The wheels are in motion although they are moving very slowly. The eta on your neck is March of 2022. Actually, they will be replacing the whole guitar. Should you not want to wait they would refund your money but it could take a month or so to get you a check. You would bring it here to the shop and we would destroy it and send proof to Fender. They would send you a check in 30 days or so. No need to do anything if you are willing to wait. This guitar is made in Indonesia which is compounding the supply issues already present here in the States.

Boreas and Fretting out like this.
  11. alex1fly

alex1fly Tele-Meister

Sounds like I just need this guitar to survive for 6 months or so. I hope it does, because my main axe has an electronics malfunction and this Thinline is next up for my gigs.

Fretting out likes this.
  12. Fretting out

Fretting out Doctor of Teleocity

Edit: never mind I just saw you got some sort of resolution going

13. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

It appears the dealer sold you a defective product, so surely they are the ones who should sort it out. I don't understand why Fender would send you the money. Your contract is with the shop, not with Fender. The shop paid Fender wholesale price for the guitar, yet Fender are going to send you what you paid which includes the dealer's profit? It doesn't make sense.

I would demand a refund from the dealer and spend your money elsewhere.

I don't know what the consumer protection laws are like where you are, but may be worth researching them to establish what your rights are.

ieatlions likes this.
  14. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

I've had to deal with Fender regarding warranty issues on two different amplifiers. The factory authorized repair facility was dishonest in both cases. It took three attempts to fix one amp and took almost a year to finally repair the second one. Efforts to get Fender to step up got me a bunch of e-mails condemning me to mediocre warranty service (telling me that the same problematic factory authorized repair shop would address my issues). Terrible experiences. I've not purchased a Fender amp since. I don't think I ever will.

In your case, it sounds like you may eventually get a fair and just resolution. I hope you do, but don't consider it done until it is done.

Keep us posted.

15. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Afflicted

Fender sets retail prices.

16. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

OK.

17. alex1fly

alex1fly Tele-Meister

The two options seem reasonable to me - get a refund and buy a new one in one month, or do nothing and get a new one sent to me free of charge in 6+ months (and possibly keeping the current one). The relationship is between Fender and its vendors isn't really my concern, is it? Am I missing something?

BTW the FMIC warranty language very clearly places the warranty responsibility on Fender. On top of that, in the OP I wrote that I purchased the guitar out of state and drove it home. Certainly not going to drive another 1,200 miles so I can make demands that seem to be in the process of being met. My failure, actually, was in not buying the guitar earlier in my visit so the shop would have time to do a proper setup at which point the issue would've been diagnosed. But of course I waffled around until the last day of my stay and then went back to pull the trigger.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.