warped pick guard

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by stanpz, May 23, 2015.

1. stanpz

stanpz TDPRI Member

Just got a '64 Jazzmaster in great condition except the pick guard has a few spots where it is warped. Any easy fixes ?

Attached Files:

2. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Easy. Take it off the guitar and strip all the parts off of it. Place it face down on a smooth surface, and put a heating pad on it for about ten minutes or so. Remove the heating pad, stack a half dozen books on it, and leave it to cool for an hour or so. You've got a flat pickguard.

3. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Afflicted

I did pretty much the same thing for pickguards on my various '60s Japanese rescues, except I sandwiched them between two heating pads for about a half hour (temp gun said 127F), and then I put them between the smooth sides of some finish plywood and put a bunch of heavy things on top of the plywood, leaving it overnight.

TL,DR: Heat and pressure.:D

4. shinigami747

shinigami747 Tele-Holic

Wife's hair dryer to warm the pickguard, then a big pile o' hardcover books to squash it flat.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Hair dryer or heat gun will work but be very careful of hot spots - keep the gun lower temperature and far away and move the air blast around. You want to achieve even heating and warm the plastic all the way through not just the surface.

Put a sheet of smooth paper under and over the pickguard before the wood+weights so you don't get any markings/scratches.

6. Pawnshopper

Pawnshopper Tele-Meister

In warm, sunny weather I have put warped pickguards between two large pieces of glass. They flatten out over the course of a day or two, depending on the amount of direct sunlight they receive.

7. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

That ain't nothing a few drywall screws can't hold down!
    Nah, I've done the heating pad and books too. It worked!

8. poolshark

poolshark Tele-Holic

Hey now, that's a good idea.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.