1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Warning from the Grim Reaper...high blood pressure...anyone got it ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tweeet, Nov 3, 2020.

1. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Some of us are genetically unlucky and doing all the right things doesn't necessary convince our bodies to operate correctly. In many cases, those pills keep issues under control and prolong our time available for playing the guitar. :)

DrPepper likes this.
  2. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I'm with you...But, I dislike pills and am trying to find holistic/natural remedies for my ills...

3. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Have a good relationship with your doctor. I had to hunt around a little, but I’m fortunate to have found a physician whom I consider a partner in my healthcare. We have an open dialog about any of my health related issues. There are many.

All in all, I’m in pretty good health. Related to bp, I take 10mg of Lisinipril. My bp everytime I get checked is around 115/75. Can’t ask for better than that. I really don’t think I would be in as good shape if I didn’t have the relationship I have with my physician.

Best of luck with your health. It’s your most important asset.

4. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

Just out of curiosity, Obsessed, which one do they have you on? I'm borderline and was on one for awhile until the Chinese starting cutting it with a carcinogen.

Obsessed likes this.
  5. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I am taking blood pressure medication twice a day. Of coarse I was resistance, it was automatic. and then I thought , "how would you, mr smarty pants like to end up like all those victim of strokes you saw when you worked in the hospital? (It would be disrespectful to those that had serious strokes for me to discribe what I observed).
    ah let me think about it, tick, tick, tick, tick, times up. That was the argument that I had with myself. Now, twice a day, with no apparent side effects, 2 tiny little pills. Good idea.
    I quit drinking and smoking 35 years ago, and don't eat deep fried food, low salt , and I still had high blood pressure. well I suspect the lifestyle that I indulged in regular dosages of a variety of fun drugs ,drinking poor diet not enough rest, party, party, party, party, party, party, may actually have been doing the damage that a seriously handsome face and youthful body just hide the signs of while the damaging effects were being done with no outward signs? well, with exception amphetamine psychosis,
    Later though the body began to age and hmmm whoops.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  6. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I appreciate you cavalier approach , did anyone ever tell you the story about the guy ( me) that had stage 3 cancer and lived to find out he had high blood pressure and that Stoke and heart attack certainly were in the cards for him , you see he didn't mind dying, when he was dancing with cancer he made friends with death because dancing with cancer can have that effect on the introspective, the problem is that stroke and heart attacks can leave you wishing you were dead, and by law the medical community in California can't help you with that particular desire..

tweeet, trouserpress and bsman like this.
  7. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

Yes. My brother can’t lower his cholesterol now matter what he does. But, most people don’t even try. They head right for the pills.

I lost 40 lbs and have kept it off for almost 10 years. It’s hard. Most people can’t be bothered.

8. Ted Keane

Ted Keane Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

My Dr. told me I can't watch the news on tv or computer.I get too stressed.

9. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Agreed. Most people can't be bothered, especially if it takes change, discipline, and those sort of things. It IS hard.

teletail likes this.
  10. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Give it a try, but don't go it alone. Find a good internist that will work with you from that angle, but who will also let you know if it isn't working.

11. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

My old track coach in High School told me some great advice: If you want to be a great runner, pick your parents.

The same is true for blood pressure, it is more genetic than environmental. If you are cursed with higher blood pressure genetically, then all the diet changes in the world will not make a big difference. What does matter is controlling stress!

In my family, we are blessed with genetically low blood pressure...sometimes too low actually. When I end up in the doctor's office he always tells me how his other patients would kill to have my blood pressure which is normally 118 / 79. I do have an active lifestyle since my job requires about 9-14 miles of walking most days, but even without that my BP has always been very low....and I eat like a damn teenager really.

Now, the stress part is a problem for me. Ever since the arrival of "you know what" in Feb., my stress levels have risen and there are some job issues right now so my blood pressures in the evenings before have soared to 140/84. For me, that is quite a jump, but it only happens the night prior to work. By morning when I wake, it is always back down to 118/79 and remains good during the day.

Stress is just the ultimate risk to everyone. It does so much damage to us physically and emotionally that if you can control it, you can live to be a 100. I wouldn't make any drastic dietary changes, just get more sleep, more exercise (go for a walk, cycle, etc.), and find an outlet to conrol the stress. Do that and you will have mastered life.

tweeet likes this.
  12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I'm on the minimum 10 mg of Fosinopril, which is the monopril without the diuretic. I convinced my doctor that my love for coffee and wine keeps me urinating day and night already. It brought my BP way back down to normal in 3 days and has been "normal" for 14 years. Nevertheless, they are adding another one, "Amlodipine" because of tests results showing better long term cardio health combining the two. What makes me feel very confident about Fosinopril is that it is a very old, well used BP medicine that all of my uncles used for over 50 years and all made it into their 90s.

13. hollowman

hollowman Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

i have High BP, but take a daily pill and monitor it. Knowing you have is important, that way you can do something about it! hundreds of millions of people have high BP, so you are not alone, there is no stigma!

Exercise is key, i walk about 4 miles a day and that helps a ton. Stretching, deep breathing, meditating are really helpful as well.

Good communication with your doc and do your own research about medications and diet. you will be fine once you get it dialed in.

14. KS6V

KS6V TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

About 10 years ago cholesterol starting climbing despite good diet and exercise. Doc put me on a statin. Never had high blood pressure until this year when I had a knee replacement done. Now I take a med for that. I will not give up my evening glass of wine, a pint or a wee nip of whisky. Not all three just choose one :)

Milspec and tweeet like this.
  15. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

"Increasingly strong evidence supports epigenetic mechanisms’ significant role in the development of hypertension."

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.118.11171#:~:text=Epigenetic mechanisms underlie stable changes,DNA do not determine directly.&text=Increasingly strong evidence supports epigenetic,in the development of hypertension.

I recently read a book on epigenetics. It's an amazing new science of understanding of how malleable aspects of our genetic coding is. Much of genetics of course is not changeable but it's surprising how much of it is. Epigenetics describes gene expression...how gene sequences are turned off and on. This can take place over long periods of time or over the course of minutes. Epigenetics (gene expression) controls things like moods and emotions by triggering brain chemicals and hormones.

Gene expression will respond to emotions and thoughts as well as environmental information and most interestingly those gene expressions are passed on inter-generationally. So, for example, emotional/physiological responses to stresses and traumas that our ancestors experienced can be inherited. Of course, the good news is they can also be altered by turning off or on the gene expressions that are inherited through changing things like diet and altering negative persistent thinking.

It's not a 'death sentence'...it's not written in stone.

Milspec, bsman and catdaddy like this.
  16. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

Fascinating read! Thanks for posting this.

My blood pressure started to elevate about 20 years ago. My father suffered from BP issues, and although my lifestyle included lots of exercise and a normal weight it didn't prevent me from following what I assumed was a genetic predisposition to hypertension. Eventually I needed three separate meds to keep my BP in the range of 135/85. After I retired seven years ago my BP began to drop, albeit slowly. Two years ago my doctor had me stop taking all but one of the BP meds that I was on. My current average BP reading is 120/70.

Before reading the article above I assumed that retirement had reduced my stress level which resulted in a gradual lowering of my BP. I thought it curious however that the BP level didn't drop sooner, right along with my stress level. With the info in the article on epigenetics it seems that perhaps that reduction in stress needed time to effect a change in some gene(s) that were involved in my hypertension. The human body is a mysterious miracle.

boneyguy and tweeet like this.
  17. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

Aerobic exercise and stretching, one big problem when we get older is our veins and arteries harden, making them less able to adapt.

Exercise helps with that so does stretching (yoga maybe?), of course start out slow, talk to your doc etc.
    Also, most people do not drink enough water, think about this for a moment, how often do you drink water? Most drink coffee tea soda etc but no water.

18. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Afflicted

well done son...this is indeed inspiring.

19. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Afflicted

It does seem that stress is a massive factor. I've been playing golf twice a week until C-19 lockdown in March. The previous four months to that the course was underwater...so there's been very little golf this year hence I've put on 12lbs. The weight gain has been through drinking half a bottle of red and a few large whiskies every other night...more on a weekend. But I have noticed in the last two months my stress levels through work have rocketed. The manager is hardly ever in so that's put a few 'chiefs' in charge dishing out extra work to the 'indians'. Instead of doing 37 hours a week I've been doing 62 some weeks...and now the manager has got me doing sleep ins which I never wanted to do and was told that I wouldn't do any, this means I do a 15 hour shift and then sleep in from 10pm til 7am when the shift is taken over. This has caused no end of problems at home and I'm just plain exhausted. We are now on lockdown again for a month so no golf, at least I'm hoping to change job so there's the first change.

20. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

Largely genetics, mine is good and I don't do anything. Diet and exercise can help some, but certainly not everyone afflicted with HBP. The medicine has come a long way.

Milspec likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.