Warning: Butchered DeArmond rhythm chief exposed! (need help to rewire)

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by MrLeo, Jan 21, 2020.

1. MrLeo

MrLeo NEW MEMBER!

[​IMG]

Picked up a beaten & mangled rhythm chief, I've a feeling someone pulled it apart to investigate why it wasn't working but mutilated it in the process.

I can see at least 1 break in the wire - almost too thin to photograph but the loose ends are sticking out on the right. Could these be rejoined? Perhaps twisted together or stuck to copper tape then a solder iron used to burn away the insulation?

Advice appreciated.

Alternatively, if rewound - due to the unusual configuration of the bobbin Im not sure what sort of DIY rig I could use. Would need the initial 4 pole bobbin winding, then the additional 2 pole added to complete.

Does anyone know what wire thickness this is or the best wire would be if I was to replace/rewind.
    Perhaps 45AWG / 0.045mm - would original stock enamelled wire perform the same as the more modern 'solderable coated' wire.

2. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Find a local pickup winder. Have them fix.

3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Unwind the bobbin until after the break, solder the free end to the lead wire.

I have an old 1970 MIJ guitar pickup I did that with, needed to take 20% off to get to the break (testing with an ohm meter for continuity).

Depending how much you remove, you'll make a brighter more jangly pickup. At some point it can get too weak but find that out as you go. You can always get it wound fresh.

If it's the inner start end broken, then scrape insulation off the two ends carefully, blob of solder to tie together, maybe a short bridge of other wire. Test continuity. Maybe a pool of CA adhesive after to stabilize the joint.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.