Warmouth Mary Kay White over different woods?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Si G X, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

I'm looking at getting a body from warmouth in their Mary Kay transparent white finish, I'm presuming swamp ash gives the familiar grain patterns and the 'whitest' look, but I was wondering if anyone had experience of this colour over different woods ... maybe a roasted ash body or even something totally different like mahogany, korina, alder?

I guess what I'm wondering is how transparent it actually is and what a wood with a less dramatic grain and a darker colour to swap ash would look like?

Thanks in advance.

2. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

why don't you email warmoth and ask them for a few pictures?

3. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

That's a good idea, I've never used them before (as you can probably tell by the fact I called them warmouth) so wasn't sure how responsive they were to random questions. I'll give it a try. :)

4. paulbaribeau

paulbaribeau Tele-Meister

I’ve asked Warmoth some pretty weird questions and they have always been nice about it.

brookdalebill and Si G X like this.
  5. paulbaribeau

paulbaribeau Tele-Meister

If they send pictures please post them. I’m curious too.

6. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

Sure, no problem... I've just sent them an email and said "if you have pictures that would be great" so fingers crossed.

I love how mahogany looks under transparent red, but I have no idea if you'd even see the grain through white.

7. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Warmoth's website provides imaging services. Start with their 'Custom Build' section and take it from there.

ETA:
    This, by the way, is a Warmoth ash body done in Mary Kaye.
    365_kindlephoto-29483500.jpg

ndcaster, brookdalebill and Si G X like this.
  8. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

yeah I've been there are done it, do you think this is a true representation of how opaque it really is, those are pretty dark colours in the Kornia and they don't look as dramatic as I would have thought. I don't know maybe that's how it would be.

Annotation 2020-01-29 015608.jpg

Annotation 2020-01-29 015700.jpg

9. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

It looks pink, which might be cool I guess. :D

Vibrolux59 likes this.
  10. rolandson

Yeah, pretty much. Remember, wood is wood. No two pieces look the same.

And yes, mix a reddish brown base under a transparent blue-ish white...I think that's very close to what it would look like.

Si G X and Vibrolux59 like this.
  11. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

I've seen Mary Kay white lacquer on Alder a few times, looked really nice. Less pronounced grain of course.

Si G X likes this.
  12. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

Thanks, I'd like something a bit different so that could be the one to go for.

13. rolandson

The only way to be certain is to order the body and finish it yourself.

The upside to that is if it isn't looking like what you want when you get to clear coat, you can sand it down and do it again.

Si G X likes this.
  14. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

yeah, I don't really have the space to spray finish... I usually use water based dyes and tru-oil for that reason but I've tried white stain before and it didn't really work. It just looked like a bad whitewash paint job. :D

This guitar will be kind of a treat for an anniversary coming up, so I didn't really want to have to put too much into it myself other than bolting it together. ;)

rolandson likes this.
  15. rolandson

I get it.
    For what it's worth, after a bunch of projects supplied through them, Warmoth is very easy to work with and the quality of everything coming out of there is of the first order.

The key, as with everything, is communication. They're good at that too.

Si G X likes this.
  16. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

First of all, something important that Warmoth appears totally ignorant of: It's Mary Kaye, not Mary Kay. Mary Kay is the cosmetics company. I can't believe they get this wrong.

Also, they appear to be ignorant of the fact that "Mary Kay White" was not a Fender color back in the day. The Strat in question was blonde with gold hardware. That's it. It was used for a promotional photo. She didn't even play the thing. It was never a signature model back then. The blonde on it was no different than any other Fender blonde. "Mary Kaye Strat" just became an unofficial term for a blonde Strat with gold hardware, based on that one promotional pic.

So, a traditional Mary Kaye Strat was painted regular blonde, just like a Tele, not something called "Mary Kaye Blonde." And if you don't have gold hardware, it's not a traditional Mary Kaye Strat; it's just a blonde Strat. "Mary Kaye" does not refer to a special paint color, but to an in-house finish color combined with a custom gold hardware order.

I myself would have a hard time ordering a finish from a company so ignorant of the basics, especially when, in this day and age, it's so easy to learn this stuff, and there are so many other guitar paint shops out there who "get it."

Now, to the question.

I don't have a pure blonde over alder guitar, but I do have a butterscotch blonde over alder. It might as well just be Desert Sand – looks nearly opaque without the heavy grain lines of ash underneath it. (Mind you, I hate BSB, and I love Desert Sand, so that's why I got the guitar.)

If you put blonde over alder, you're going to just get a yellowish-pinkish white that looks mostly opaque. Again, that's not a bad thing, if it's what you want.

BSB (actually more like a honey blonde, but they called it BSB) over alder:

IMG_6197.JPG

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    brookdalebill likes this.
  17. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

Thanks for your reply.

I'm pretty sure Warmoth are aware of all this, it's just what they call their transparent white as a 'nod' I presume. They could have just called it 'transparent white' I suppose... honestly I don't care what they call it. Marty Kaye, Merry Kay.

Thanks for the pic, yeah I'd like more grain than that, so maybe I'll rule out the lighter grain woods.

18. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

no pics but I did get this reply....

"Thank you so much for taking the time to check in with us.

You are correct, Swamp Ash provides the most classic aesthetic with Mary Kay.
    the darker woods (All of the others mentioned) turn Mary Kay into a more
    “Coconut Curry” to “Butterscotch” type of look.

While some have found it interesting, I would hazard to guess that around
    half get returned for not providing the look the customer expected.

So, while it is your call, it isn’t something that we recommend.

Please let us know if you have any further questions."

Which I thought was interesting, so anything other than swamp isn't going to really look 'white' it seems.

19. GeminiCG

GeminiCG TDPRI Member

I just love how they called one of the colors "Coconut Curry.":lol:

I might have to steal that one :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.