Warmoth vs Fender necks

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Warmth falls short because you can't get a Vintage Modern or Pro neck with 21 frets.

I thought much of the original appeal of the Warmoth product was, it had a 22nd fret and most Fenders needing a new neck did not. Ken was very proud of offering that 22nd fret and though I personally don't have much use for it, rightly so.

I'm just so impressed with the USACG necks I have bought that, as good as Warmoth is, I'll be ordering the USACG instead I think from this point on.

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
This irritates people who like warmoth, but you asked and i'm just giving my opinion. I had a number of them (probably 6-7) including warmoth design with thier own truss rod, modern vintage that has modern features and vintage construction, and total vintage. One sounded ok, the rest sounded thin or generally just not good. I was never happy with any of them tonally, but only the vintage ones were almost ok. Fenders....had tons. Rarely have any of them sounded bad. Maybe one out of 10 at most. The rest were average to great. I only buy fender vintage design necks today because they just sound right. I'm not sure why but i have a strong suspicion a lot of it has to do with where they source thier wood from. Maple seems to grow differently in different regions, and warmoth source thiers locally to them from what they themselves told me years ago. I always noticed it looks different than fender maple and to me that speaks volumes. When a guitar's tone isn't quite right you know it whether right from the beginning or after you had it a while. And when it IS right it's dead obvious too. With fenders over and over it's just right. Even my MIJ 62 sounds sorta odd compared to USA and MIM fenders, and this is the 2nd ishibashi fender i've bought and the other one also sounded different in the same way.

Now i'm not at all insisting it's the wood. But something with USA and MIM fender necks just always works for me and always has the quintessential fender tone and not one warmoth i owned ever did. YMMV.

Slocaster

TDPRI Member
Well, I have 4-Warmoth Pro, 1-Vintage, 1-80’s Fender American Strat Plus, 1-2015 compound radius Strat Deluxe, and 3-Fender MIM. I have had every neck on every body with friends and band members judging, ALL picked the sound of the Warmoth pro’s as the best sounding when plugged in and not so good unplugged.
I don’t like how the Warmoth Pro necks look at all. I like the feel of the 2015 Fender American deluxe with compound radius the best. I like the look of the 80’s Fender Strat Plus necks the best.
The Warmoth necks felt strange until I rolled the edges. The Warmoth Pro necks add a little weight and I don’t like that but I do like the sound.
None could hear a difference between the Warmoth Vintage and The Fenders. The 80’s Fender American is slightly brighter of the Fender group and the only Fender with a rosewood fret board.
Two of the group were Telecasters and we picked the Warmoth Pro’s sounding better on those also. I’m a Fender Fan when it comes to electrics but Warmoth Rocks.
I have no experience with other neck brands but have seen some killer looking musikraft necks.

Big Mike Blues

Tele-Meister
Nicely made stuff. Quality is good.
Better is subjective. There are certain warmoth profiles I think are great, and there are certain fender necks I'd take over warmoth..based on profile. IE the 50's MIM telecaster neck (classic series) is awesome. I'd do that over a warmoth when building a tele.

mabley123

Friend of Leo's
+1 for USA Custom Guitars for me. Their fret jobs are the best you can get straight out of the box. I'll never go anyplace else for a bolt on Fender/Vintage style neck.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
+1 for USA Custom Guitars for me. Their fret jobs are the best you can get straight out of the box. I'll never go anyplace else for a bolt on Fender/Vintage style neck.

Yup.

There's a few ways in which the Warmoth is an attractive idea for some guys (and not others), and that's this:

a) IF you refuse to do your own finishing and insist that Warmoth or USACG do your finish, you're stuck with the profile and shape they show and superficially, that means the Warmoth will pass for Fender at 25 feet whereas the characteristic USACG kink (which I sand off) on the USACG will inform most anyone it is not a Fender sourced neck;

b) Warmoth has placed more emphasis on bringing in exotic and tropical woods and so if you need a neck with a pau ferro or ebony board, unless you have the fretboard blank lined up to send to Tommy at USACG, he may not be able to provide you with one. But note how many rosewood and other unusual wood boards that show up on the USACG Webspecials Page. What you need may be waiting there for you - watch that site;

c) All but just two I think of all my USACG necks are One Piece, heel truss access and this IMO is Tommy's forte, in the looks department. Neither the Warmoth nor the USACG nut end access truss rod treatments are sufficiently Fendery for real sticklers looking for a real Leo look. If you insist on a nut end truss rod access, you might want to check out Musikraft; and

d) I know some of ya'll spend a week in Samoa and another week in Alberta, and like a tongue depressor thin neck section ( a neck shaped like a popsicle stick) but if you'll just go for a fatter section neck, you don't need all these high tech truss rods. The one USACG uses, the one Warmoth uses on their Vintage model, is more than adequate for non jet setters IMO.

Antoon

Tele-Afflicted
This irritates people who like warmoth, but you asked and i'm just giving my opinion. I had a number of them (probably 6-7) including warmoth design with thier own truss rod, modern vintage that has modern features and vintage construction, and total vintage. One sounded ok, the rest sounded thin or generally just not good. I was never happy with any of them tonally, but only the vintage ones were almost ok. Fenders....had tons. Rarely have any of them sounded bad. Maybe one out of 10 at most. The rest were average to great. I only buy fender vintage design necks today because they just sound right. I'm not sure why but i have a strong suspicion a lot of it has to do with where they source thier wood from. Maple seems to grow differently in different regions, and warmoth source thiers locally to them from what they themselves told me years ago. I always noticed it looks different than fender maple and to me that speaks volumes. When a guitar's tone isn't quite right you know it whether right from the beginning or after you had it a while. And when it IS right it's dead obvious too. With fenders over and over it's just right. Even my MIJ 62 sounds sorta odd compared to USA and MIM fenders, and this is the 2nd ishibashi fender i've bought and the other one also sounded different in the same way.

Now i'm not at all insisting it's the wood. But something with USA and MIM fender necks just always works for me and always has the quintessential fender tone and not one warmoth i owned ever did. YMMV.

My experience is similar.

Tonetele

Doctor of Teleocity
i think a lot of times warmoth makes a higher quality neck than fender does. they make less, so they can spend a little more time making sure its right. of course, their prices reflect that. it won't say fender on the headstock... and thats a deal breaker for some people. just make sure to keep the original neck close by... partscasters are a dime a dozen and don't return the money you put into them; whereas that fender could be sold for damn near what you paid for it as long as its in decent shape

I think joeford has said it all succinctly and correctly. Many partscasters probably sound/play better but try just selling them and recovering your costs.:confused:

PJ55

Poster Extraordinaire
The Warmoth neck I have is probably the nicest neck of any of my guitars. The (Corian) nut was cut perfectly, the neck fit like a glove, mounting holes lined-up perfectly. It was a little spooky, how well it fit. Replacement Tele parts from other vendors never seem to fit that well. So, based on my experience, I'd say Warmoth has it figured-out. With all the radius and neck-back profiles they offer, I'd say they're a pretty good choice for any project or replacement. If you're all wound-up about decals, order a custom decal to your own artwork.....jeez, there are so many Tele brands out there now days.

RockdaBoat

NEW MEMBER!
Does anyone have any experience with fender and warmoth necks? Are warmoth necks just as good as fender necks or is there a big difference? I have an american delux and I really like the maple neck, but I would like to get and all rosewood neck from warmoth for looks only. Is this worth doing or would I be throwing away the money?
I’ve been chasing the perfect Warmoth neck for a few years, and more money than I care to disclose. On a whim I bought a Fender Player neck from Stratosphere, and it turned out to be the best neck I have by a wide, wide margin. So I bought another (this time a Player with Pau Ferro) and it too beat all of my Warmoth necks. Both are considerably lighter, and both have a lot more resonance. I also learned to my surprise that I play better on a straight 9.5 rather than a compound radius. So I have been fooling myself for years. And the fender necks cost easily $100 -$150 less than a comparable Warmoth. I think Warmoth is a great company and they do make super high quality stuff. But to my surprise, the factory Fender necks are just all around better. At least for me. And it surprised me. All of these years of "the next one surely will be the perfect one" (once I save up the cash) only to find that the original was actually the perfect one all along.

Last edited:

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
Does anyone have any experience with fender and warmoth necks? Are warmoth necks just as good as fender necks or is there a big difference? I have an american delux and I really like the maple neck, but I would like to get and all rosewood neck from warmoth for looks only. Is this worth doing or would I be throwing away the money?
I love my Warmoth necks and think they stand up to Fender quality easily. Zero complaints.

itstooloudMike

Tele-Meister
I recently bought a Warmoth neck for my 2002 American Series Tele. The original Fender neck needed a re-fret, and I’m not a fan of rosewood fret boards, so I decided to spec a Warmoth neck to my preference. I got roasted maple, Clapton V-carve, compound radius, and narrow-tall frets. The new neck is amazing, and way better than the Fender neck it replaced. The guitar plays as good as any of the Suhr guitars I’ve owned, and much better than my other Fender guitars. And it sounds just as good or better than it did with the Fender neck. Huge improvement overall. I put the Fender neck in the case, in case I ever want to sell the guitar. But it has turned into such a great guitar that I doubt it will ever leave me. I would order from Warmoth again in a heartbeat.

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
i think a lot of times warmoth makes a higher quality neck than fender does. they make less, so they can spend a little more time making sure its right. of course, their prices reflect that. it won't say fender on the headstock... and thats a deal breaker for some people. just make sure to keep the original neck close by... partscasters are a dime a dozen and don't return the money you put into them; whereas that fender could be sold for damn near what you paid for it as long as its in decent shape
As a general rule, I never separate a real Fender from its original parts so that is never a problem for me. However, I have built dozens of partscasters and their value is in those parts. I never sell those either. So, if you are building them for a monetary reward, good luck. Warmoth puts out some quality stuff and is a good value for that quality. They sometimes don't always offer the neck profile that I am looking for, but that is just my preference. Either too small or too big.

There have been several guitars that I have built, didn't really bond with it only to tear it down and build a different guitar with some of those same pieces. That is what I love about partscasters.

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
Warmoth is the only way to go, if you have to replace a Fender neck. That said, I am pretty sure Warmoth dries out the wood blanks better.