Warmoth vs. Fender neck profiles

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by tcarp, Apr 4, 2009.

1. tcarp

tcarp Tele-Holic

Anyone have hands on experience with both Fender and Warmoth?

A Warmoth neck is getting the nod for my build....question is, which profile?
    A 1-11/6" nut is a must, not sure if I want Maple or Rosewood, and I've narrowed down the styles to either their Total Vintage or Vintage Modern series.

I'm mainly a rhythm player, some licks, not a whole lot of leads and that means barre chords for me. I'm not really sure if I need compound 10-16 radius....I don't usually get that far up the neck except for chording. I have a Fender '69 RI Thinline and love the neck....very slick and comfy.

Interestingly though, my guitar teacher has a Custom Shop Nocaster with a pretty thick neck and yesterday he let me play it during our lesson. It took a little getting used to from my Thinline, but overall it seemed comfortable.

How do these profiles compare:

Fender 7.5" U shape vs. Warmoth Total Vintage 7.5" thin contour

Fender Nocaster vs. Warmoth Vintage Modern 10"-16" Fatback?

I'm leaning towards the 7.5" Total Vintage only because I love the fingerboard on my present Thinline, but I need some direction on the profile compared with it's Fender counterpart.

As always, thanks in advance.

Tom

2. strat800

strat800 TDPRI Member

One thing you should keep in mind is that the radius of the fingerboard also affects
    the radius of the bridge. Meaning it will really feel defferent not only on the left hand
    but also your right hand.
    I always find 7.25 radius to be more comfortable on both hands when it comes to funk style chops.

3. maestrovert

maestrovert Poster Extraordinaire

in my experience, i find that flatter radius fingerboards are normally most helpful for lead playing where string bending is prominently utilised, as in Blues music for example....

as mainly a rhythm player, i think you might be better off with a smaller(ie;"Vintage") radius fingerboard...
    Fender's now standard 9.5" radius is a good compromise....

as to back profile/contour, do you normally play with your thumb behind the neck, or with your thumb over the top of the fingerboard ?

if behind the neck, you will probably like a thicker/chunkier profile, but if you play with your thumb over the top, a thinner profile may suit you best....

4. Stevie Two Shoe

Stevie Two Shoe TDPRI Member

Tom, I have alot of experience with Fender and Warmoth necks. I've pieced together about 25+ Strats and Teles using a variety of combinations. If your wanting a "U" Nocaster you can only get it with Fender, Warmoth doesn't have one and their std is completely different. Fatback is the closest but if your truly wanting a Fender clone U radius (which to me is the best) you will have to sand a Fatback down a bit(not a big deal). Fetboard radius is what you like....there is no good or bad so I stay clear of that discussion (I prefer 7.5 to 10"). I like Fender Rosewood necks, they seem to use thinner slabs and for some reason their necks always have the tone thing dialed.....Leo figured it out way back when. You might try USA custom if you don't mind a slightly diff. headstock. They have more options available std. -no upcharge, or Musikraft on the East Coast...tons of options and a quality product as well-Licensed Fender headstock also. One thing I like about USA and Musikraft is that they don't burn that huge logo into the neck heels like Warmoth does. Send me an email if you want more detailed info. Have fun with the build. Stefan

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The Warmoth 'thin' profile is enough thinner than your 69, you can cross it off.

From my perspective owning about half Fatbacks and half Boatnecks, about half Warmoth Vintage and one half Vintage Modifieds, is that the Vintage Fatback is the one you need to investigate. Perhaps, as Stevie says, you may want to shave it down a little but that will work. Finish the neck a just a bit of nitro and then later, if you can't quite "grow into" the Fatback, shave it back a wee bit, refinish and acclimate to that.

There is also the 59 Roundback but I never bought one - other than that, there's IMO an enormous gulf between nice, really big Fatback and Boatneck Warmoths - and a collection of different but basically tiny Warmoth shapes. No '69 sized, no Baja sized, no AV52 or Classic 50's sized, no Jimmie Vaughan sized, no James Burton sized and no Robert Cray sized.

So, may I suggest USA Custom Guitar instead? They will listen and can do more than just do a "column A and column B" order - they can conform to your actual needs while still having the ability to manufacture high end consistent precision made necks and get them out fast.

6. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My favorite profile of any neck I have played to date is the Warmoth Boatneck. I can't decide whether I like 7.25 or 9.5 the best. The compound radius Warmoth offers is nice, but tough to get use to.
    I cradle the neck for cowby chords, so I like a big fat neck. There boatneck is a nice V shape up high, then goes to a nice U shape towards the body where I don't grab the neck, I play with my thumb on the back.

7. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

One thing I wish I would have done to my Warmoth neck was roll the edges a lot more than I did.

Im wondering if I should just roll them now and spray some more nitro over top.

8. pbenn

pbenn Tele-Afflicted

+ for the Boatneck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.