1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Warmoth Tele Body Question - It' Won't Fit a Twisted Tele Neck Pickup!

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by TonyNJ, Apr 15, 2021.

1. TonyNJ

TonyNJ TDPRI Member

Finally finished the body. Just about to get 'er together. Got all set up to do the electronics, and just found out that the twisted tele neck pickup won't fit in the forward rout. This isn't a depth issue, it is the overall size of the route that's causing an issue. The pickup itself is a really tight fit.

Biggest problem is caused by the welds that attach the chrome pickup cover to the back plate. Thinking to either grind down the welds or the backplate itself. Either that or replace it with a lighter weight (less bulky) tele pickup. I'm DYIN to get this thing playing! Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. This is my first tele build and I though everything was pretty standard.

20210411_134904.jpg

nojazzhere and dented like this.
  2. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

That sucks. Man, I would probably route the cavity out some more.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

4. dpang2836

dpang2836 Tele-Meister

Dremel with the Sanding Wheel, or Mini Router Bit. Tape it up good around Rout, cause Tool will Walk on you! Was there a Pickguard involved? Pics

nojazzhere and mike stanger like this.
  5. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

yeah... make the hole bigger

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Afflicted

nice looking body! i would alter the pickup for sure

dented likes this.
  7. TonyNJ

TonyNJ TDPRI Member

Did some research in this forum tonight. Gonna box up and get rid of the fender twisted tele set, and just go with a local guy's pickups. Found out about Cavalier Pickups in a few other thread and going with the Huge Lion/She Wolf set for a pretty unique non-tele tele sound. The windings seem too interesting to pass up and I like shopping local. Even the neck I'm using was made here in NJ, so keeping it very close to home on this build. Had no idea my first tele build would show me I'm surrounded by guitar people. Pretty cool!

dougstrum, Steve Holt, RomanS and 2 others like this.
  8. TonyNJ

TonyNJ TDPRI Member

Yeah, definitely not going to route the body. It's a light 1 piece swamp ash from Warmoth. Finished in black stain + a blue/white pigment artist oil paint mixture. Odies oil over that. All black hardware, rosewood/flamed maple neck. Will post a pic when it's done. She's gonna be my baby ;)

TwangToInfinity and dented like this.
  9. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

Wouldn’t it be easier to dremel out the wood than the metal? It’s going to be under a pickguard anyway, right?

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

That's like a few minutes of work to create a few mm's of room. A dremel would easily tackle that. You could easily make yourself a template too.

Rob's winds are top notch, dont get me wrong. Is there something different about the TT baseplate/cover I dont know about?

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Friend of Leo's

The Twisted Tele neck pickup flatwork is standard.
    The only weld that could be a problem is the solder joint where the yellow wire is soldered to the cover lug. It would be ok to move the wire to the lug adjacent to the eyelets

Fender_Twisted_Tele_neck_mod.jpg

Tele_Neck_pup_cover.jpg

nojazzhere and Ron C like this.
  12. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

Perhaps it's just the picture but that neck pickup cavity looks a tad on the narrow side.

2HBStrat likes this.
  13. TonyNJ

TonyNJ TDPRI Member

Yep that is the issue. Also, the cavity is definitely a little tight. I already ordered new pickups, so I'm actually excited about trying these Cavalier's. Grabbed the Fat Lion bridge and She Wolf neck.

14. Steve Holt

Keep us posted. I'm crossing my fingers that the new pickups fit better. If not I could whip up a Tele neck template and send it your way that you could lay over the existing hole and route it out more.

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. TonyNJ

TonyNJ TDPRI Member

Thanks, but honestly I think moving that wire would have work. The pickups I ordered have a more standard footprint than the twisted tele, which is a monster. Also, the new ones are uncovered.

16. TonyNJ

TonyNJ TDPRI Member

Well, she's a done deal. First build, and I just want to build more. That's gonna be a problem...

SVP_9075.jpg SVP_9080.jpg SVP_9083.jpg SVP_9085.jpg SVP_9086.jpg SVP_9087.jpg SVP_9091.jpg SVP_9092.jpg SVP_9096.jpg SVP_9102.jpg

17. Steve Holt

I like it!! Love the body contour. Nice and deep. I'm building number 11 right now and I started in 2015...it started out one a year and then I skipped a year. It escalated from there. My sister's boyfriend caught the bug and is planning his first build with me. The funny thing is before he even started his jag, he was already thinking about making a Strat and a telecaster. It's easy to do.

18. TonyNJ

TonyNJ TDPRI Member

Yeahhh! I forgot about jags and jazzmasters. Those would also be a blast.

19. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Looks cool! You have a good tech for final setup, or you do it yourself? A proper first setup, fret dress, end bevel kind of final setup makes the difference between "interesting guitar" and "custom shop level" in my experience.

Steve Holt likes this.
  20. Roscoe295

Roscoe295 Tele-Meister

Pretty sure you’re gonna be happy with Cavaliers... solid stuff.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.