Warmoth Parts

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Vanzant, Jun 7, 2013.

1. chipbutty24

chipbutty24 Friend of Leo's

Maybe I don't quite understand the problem. Are you referring to how the neck transitions from round to flat? Is it being not-quite-there a big issue? Are you talking comfort/playability or fit?

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Maybe you have particularly bad eyesight? I hope not.

How can I be the victim of bad luck when the CNC machine makes them (consistently) wrong every time?

We are confined by the landscape we find ourselves in. We cannot slavishly duplicate decals because we'll be hit with a C + D letter. Same thing on headstock profiles. But, thanks to legal developments particularly in the last 5 years we can reproduce the Leo shaped bodies down to the tiniest detail. And in doing so we are showing respect to the guy who created the original form while leaving enough detail on the neck different to enable a future owner to distinguish a factory guitar from a (partial) reproduction. These are the cards we are dealt, we do ourselves proud to play these cards as best we can.

I submit to the reader one can continue to use products from a source and give them a thumbs up on some of their products but not on all of their products. I feel I would be playing games to tell people I didn't like Warmoth when my collection is just loaded with Warmoth necks. For some reason you want this to be all black or all white and it isn't going to ever be that.

[​IMG]

Warmoth neck, USACG body. One of many.

3. chipbutty24

chipbutty24 Friend of Leo's

Not entirely sure if I'm detecting sarcasm, arrogance or condescension. Maybe none, maybe all three. I assure you my eyesight is fine but then again, we don't all look at things the same way.

Not looking for black, white or sunburst. I didn't like your comment that Warmoth bodies were not useful.

I'm gonna let this one die as I'm sure we are boring the rest of these good people.

4. boris bubbanov

Please.

I'm coming straight at you, fair and square.

I think the product needs fixing, and I explained why.

That's the best anybody can do for the other guy.

I'm not out to get you.

5. jmclaren

jmclaren Tele-Holic

I've always been happy with the Warmoth necks and bodies I've used.

6. Muku

Muku Tele-Meister

Warmoth won't roll the fretboard

like Fender, PRS and my Tuttle (ss fret) tele. I have a strat USACG neck that is awesome. My first custom order with them. I paid extra for rolled edges but their edge radius (compared to Fender) are not as round. Of course maybe its because I spec'ed in 6125 SS frets? That plus the 25" scale with a compound 9-12" radius, made it cumbersome to build?

For rolled edges that are a work of art! Check out PRS, Grosh, and especially Tuttle guitars if you want to see fret ends from heaven.

The Warmoth bodies are great. Better than stock average fender for acoustic liveliness. I just wish you could buy Tuttle, SUhr or Grosch necks separately and put them on a custom parts caster. Otherwise pay the $3 to 5 K for a custom order. Or luck out on your specs on the used, high end, market.

When buying guitars used I always ask for a closeup of the treble side top of the fretboard edge, 4 or 5 frets and the nut, on a slight angle. There you can see whether said neck will feel smooth as can be and can see action, wear and nut slot cleanliness. Or, like most MIM's and other cheapies a straight edge with simple angled fret ends that can hurt.

PS: Recently I did get a MIM neck in ( Don't know what model but i did ask the seller about it and he didn't know but agreed on the MIM quality neck. It was a rscent Cabronita parts caster, that had slightly rolled edges. IMHO: That would be an ideal extra step, in the MIM catalog, if start to include this step on all their models.

PSS: I also see more of a radius on USA Fender Maple necks compared to Fender USA Rosewood.
    See top makers above, for Rosewood edges, if they are critical to the feel you are seeking. USACG, Warmoth, ALLparts, Mitey Mite etc....are straight edged. Research different brands on EBay and see if the seller has the edge shot that shows the roll.

7. Rothmans962

Rothmans962 TDPRI Member

8. boris bubbanov

I see.

Have you had a chance to look at that overlay Warmoth has, with the 3 different headstocks and the Jazzmaster falling (sorta) between?

If so do you think it is valid? Can a CBS style S headstock be shaped down to a really valid Jazzmaster headstock?

Jes' curious. :)

9. Rothmans962

Rothmans962 TDPRI Member

I don't have a real Fender JM at the moment to compare to my Warmoth CBS headstock..but from memory this overlay seems quite possible....

10. boris bubbanov

I saw a thread on another forum, and the guy showed his JM headstock and then the CBS Strat headstock and in this case, the big Strat headstock kinda missed a small area on the JM headstock.

I bet, like on other models, these Fender shapes shifted around a little bit and that's the explanation.

Thanks! :^)

11. backporch guy

backporch guy Tele-Afflicted

Warmoth Tele- lithe weight swamp ash body. birdseye maple 10-16 radius compound neck

Attached Files:

12. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Doesn't graph tech precut the tusq nuts or are the sending blanks to Warmouth?

13. dennyman

dennyman Tele-Meister

What I really like about Warmoth is that if I buy something from the their in-stock necks, I can SEE what I'm getting for my money.

If I order from USACG or Musikraft, it's more of a crapshoot as to what the neck will look like. For example, is the rosewood dark enough, does it have any interesting figuring, is the maple consistently flamed from the headstock down to the heel?

What do I do if my $400+ USACG/Musikraft neck doesn't meet my expectations?

I know thousands of people are satisfied with their USACG and Musikraft necks. I just like to see what I'm buying beforehand. Is that weird or wrong?

14. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Holic

I have ordered total vintage necks from Warmoth, All Parts, and USAG.

The Warmoth is the best by far, it is awesome.

my next necks will be Warmoth and I may try Musicraft too

15. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for all the input - I went with the MJT body, and I am going to order a Musikraft neck from MJT and have them relic it with a light wear look and vintage tuners. The Body I went with is a butterscotch swamp ash with light wear - I will post a picture when it arrives. I really just liked the way it looked, and won it at a descent price on ebay. To be continued...

16. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

MJT Body w/ Light Wear

Here is the body I ended up with - it is a MJT body with light wear - checkout that finish crack...won't have to worry about nicking this one :lol:

IMG_0167.jpg IMG_0168.jpg IMG_0169.jpg

17. jimmybuckets

jimmybuckets TDPRI Member

Thinking seriously about putting some black hardware (tuning pegs, and possibly a bridge) coupled with a black pickguard.

I have heard nothing but great things about this guys. I am just trying to figure out how it will all look and more importantly if I will like mostly black on a 3 tone burst.

18. wired to go

wired to go Tele-Meister

I put my Warmoth Tele up against my Standard and they are exactly the same shape. The Warmoth is thinner, Thats the only difference I can find. Just my 2 cents.

19. JohnnyF

JohnnyF TDPRI Member

Warmoth are great quality. However nothing they make is really identical to any Fender component. The body shapes have some noticeable differences, although its not something that troubles me personally. The necks have a different feel to Fender necks. Warmoth do not offer a "modern C shape" back profile and do not offer rolled fretboard edges. Because of those two aspects you won't confuse them with genuine Fender necks.

The good things: Stainless steel frets are amazing. The fretwork is done to a very high standard. I was impressed with the quality of all aspects of my dealing with them.

20. JohnnyF

JohnnyF TDPRI Member

I found the cut-away of the lower lobe is slightly bigger on the Warmoth Tele - not a bad thing. Also there is no flattered area for the jack plate.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.