Warmoth Necks

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by oregomike, May 12, 2019.

1. oregomike

oregomike TDPRI Member

I just read a comment on on e one of the partscaster posts that frets on Warmoth necks still needed leveling. Is this common for their necks? I just plunked down some good $$$ for a custom neck and reading that sort of has me worried.

Mike

2. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I’ve never had to touch one of their necks. They may not be just perfect , but they’ve been fine for me to play without any issues or concerns.

Skydog1010 and brookdalebill like this.
  3. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

4. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I received a Warmoth conversion neck a couple weeks ago, and a quick check with a fret rocker showed some slightly high spots, but the frets are really close to level.

I just got the whole guitar together now (thread coming) and I'm in no hurry to do a fret level, it's playing nicely and I can work on that extra bit of perfection later.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with your neck, even if it can use a light leveling.

lineboat and nojazzhere like this.
  5. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Glued in frets?? For the price you pay for a Warmouth neck I'd want all wok done and frets properly seated and levelled etc. I'd NOT want glue as you may want to replace them.
    I'll stick to Mighty Mite and do any work myself or have a luthier mate do the crowning and still save money. I also know that Mighty Mite, licensed by Fender ( see SStewmac.com) will fit a neck pocket exactly. Have heard too many not so good stories here and elsewhere about Warmoth, necks in particular.

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’ve had about a dozen Warmoth necks over the years.
    None of then needed anything.
    Every one was flawless, both the new, and used ones.
    Great stuff, IMO.

7. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

Are they perfect? No. Extremely playable? Absolutely. Probably better than most store bought. Most folks that have built several on the warmoth forum never touch them at all, and think they are great right out of the box, as it were.

That being said, I took mine to a local tech to check out, and he only found a few high spots, that were completely unnoticeable by me, or him, when playing the guitar. Since it was my own build, I had him PLEK it and for $50 since there wasn't much to do to it. Afterward, I couldn't tell the difference LOL

Hound Dog and DHart like this.
  8. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

Any neck's frets or nut, whether it's on a production guitar (esp at affordable price points), or is an aftermarket replacement, may need to be touched up. In, fact it's probably a skill I should learn myself if I continue to piece together guitars. It's that common.

That said, I did just send a neck back to Warmoth because the nut slots were sloppy, and I told the rep I wasn't interested in buying a set of nut files. They fixed it, it's totally killer, but I know down the road it will play 100x better with a fret level- I can feel it. Basically, they're not a custom shop. There's no way they can do the kind of close work we'd all like. Their necks would be $1000.

It is very hard to go wrong with a Warmoth neck. Anyone here will tell you that. There's just also reality to consider.

Nightclub Dwight and Milspec like this.
  9. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

That link simply opened their homepage for me. Is that info still online? I live in the region with Warmoth & USA Custom & use both companies since their products already have a head start on Pacific NW climate.

10. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Never had any issues with any of mine. I currently have one of their 59 Roundback conversion necks with the 10-16 compound radius. Love it.

lineboat and nojazzhere like this.
  11. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

"Warmoth's fret installation technique is a hybrid of the compression and glued-fret methods. We first fill the fret slots with a gel-type cyanoacrylate glue. Then the frets are pressed in to the slots. This causes the glue to flow into the voids behind the barbs on the fret tangs. The result is a very stable and durable fret job."

"Please note, Warmoth does not perform fret leveling. Most Warmoth necks are playable as they are received and do not require fret leveling. However, because wood moves with changes in temperature, humidity and string tension fret leveling may be required. This is best done after the neck has been strung up to pitch for several days and allowed to adjust in the assembled state. For this reason, Warmoth leaves this fine tuning to the end user."

Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

When I got my Warmoth fatback conversion neck two and a half years ago, the only thing I had to do was touch up the fret ENDS.....just a little. Level was good, and the ends were certainly playable, I was just shooting for perfection.

lineboat likes this.
  13. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I have many Warmoth necks and each of them are top quality. Never needed fret leveling. My preference is the roasted Maple with stainless steel frets.

Ian T, Scottz and oceanblue like this.
  14. jazzman1021

jazzman1021 TDPRI Member

20190509_085644.jpg Applied View attachment 607765 Just got done with this. I'm very pleased with the quality. Only change I made was replacing black plastic truss rod cover with one I made fron Orange Osage. It plays great.
    Kind regards.

lineboat likes this.
  15. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Yes. My strat neck needed serious leveling. Frets were all over the place.

16. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I've had at least a dozen of them. In my experience they are generally great out of the box but any neck might benefit from a little touchup. I have taken a couple of them in for level and dressing and while they were great before the work, they were just about perfect afterwards.

Also: Without question you want to get the nut worked on, or learn to do it yourself. Most critical and underappreciated part of partscaster assembly is getting the nut just right.

17. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I have yet to meet any instrument necks that were set-up perfectly from the factory. Everything needs a final touch up to meet your specs...especially the nut. I have 4 Warmoth necks and they were all high quality right out of the box which most would have been very happy with just bolting it on and playing. I don't recall any of them "needing" work, I just chose to make some improvements which were always minor.

18. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I've never had a mighty mite fit as snug as a fender. Necks require work, even some of the fender brand necks. Think of them as individuals, not something that can be lumped together by brand. Be it Fender. Warmoth, MM.

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Warmoth necks seem pretty good when new, but a level and crown would add a good bit of $$ to the price.
    A level and crown will make a good neck a little better, but a well made and fretted neck shouldn't be really bad without a level and crown.
    You can't really just level the frets, though some new guitars do have flat fret tops and seem to have been leveled at the factory but not crowned, which is much more time consuming than the leveling.

20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Don't confuse a custom order with changed specs as going through a custom shop or getting custom treatment.
    Those custom orders really boost the price from the very reasonably $150 an in stock neck runs at Warmoth.

Paying extra for your own specs or specialty woods does not make the neck better, just more expensive and possibly more pretty to look at.
    Still need to budget time or money for basic setup and nut fitting/ tuner mounting etc, depending on what setup options you chose.

Seems many buy parts assuming after assembly they will have a well setup guitar!

Then we see "only used for half an hour" necks for sale, because the buyer was somehow unhappy with their perfectly good neck.

Often we buy these used necks and find holes drilled the wrong size or in the wrong places, stripped or over tightened truss rods etc.

This is DIY at it's finest!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.