Warmoth neck tuner holes

O

oceanblue

So I want to order a roasted maple neck from Warmoth, and have the tuner holes drilled. I'm looking at getting these Gotoh tuners....

https://kek.gg/u/psMn

And these are the choices of hole that can be drilled....

Gotoh/Grover (13/32" 11/32")
Planet Waves 13/32"
Schaller 25/64"
Sperzel 25/64"
Vintage Style 11/32"

So to be certain, I would choose the Gotoh/Grover option? I emailed Warmoth, and the response was "Looks like our Gotoh/Grover ream would be a good fit." which didn't strike me as being positive, or sure, but probably.
So anyone have experience with this? Having the holes drilled, and your tuners fitting correctly? Worse case I suppose I can always return the tuners (haven't bought them yet) if they don't fit, and select a different set I guess.

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
In an interview in American Lutherie recently Ken Warmoth made the comment that some people crack the heads on roasted necks because they try to force their tuners into the holes. He said that roasted necks were more prone to this. So if they seem too tight, don't force them.

Sollipsist

Tele-Afflicted
Yikes. Customer service basically gave you a "yeah, that might work" answer. That's not helpful. Makes me wonder if you'd have gotten a more certain answer if you'd indicated that you were buying the tuners from Warmoth...

But yes, those tuners SHOULD fit that ream. And don't get too freaked out if it takes a little bit of force to get the bushings seated; you want them snug. It's only when you start to go for the hammer that you may want to reconsider...

BTW Shadilay to you for the Kek link

oregomike

Tele-Holic
So, I have a similar question (trying not to derail). I have a warmoth tele neck (quarter swn maple) with the Gotoh/Grover (13/32" 11/32") option. I want to get the Gotoh locking machines which require 11/32. Being that the drilling on the headstock is 11/32 to 13/32 step-down, this leaves space on the back between the peg and wood. Do I need to worry about that?

Thanks,
Mike