1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Warmoth neck or usacg neck?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Rich B in Tempe, Oct 21, 2016.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Great photos.

For those who want the More Fendery looking neck, look closely at these. Yeah, warmoth has a more licensed looking basic headstock silhouette, but the way the wood surface drops away so abruptly in front of the nut, well, no FEIC or FMIC ever did that.

And the shape of the flat area on the back of the headstock is just not like any model of Fender T or E I can think of.

And the shape of the volute or transition from heel to neck section that Warmoth uses is only similar (and to only some degree) with Fender's new shapes on their new Elite and Professional models with the unusual new heel access truss rod. It sure would not be mistaken for any Fender electric from before 2014.

Admiral Akbar likes this.
  2. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

I'll return it immediately....

3. Rich B in Tempe

Rich B in Tempe Tele-Holic

I worked with Ken Warmoth: he did the $100 upcharge just to discourage such changes- it puts a KINK in their process! I did the near exact thing on ordering a tele M/M neck!

4. Rich B in Tempe

Check your nut heighth & spacing-uber important!
    i just strung up 2 warmoth necks on 2 tele builds- the fret edges were jagged & i had several high frets on both SS FRETJOBS ON THE WARMOTHS!

5. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

So are you saying that nobody else's necks will need a level and crown?

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

This is all about degree, I think.

Order an Allparts neck and unless your dealer does some fret leveling as part of the bargain, if you have no means to do a level and crown yourself you will be a very unhappy pup.

Order a Warmoth neck and you may be able to play the frets as they are or you may play the guitar in for a couple weeks then go back and fiddle with it a little. I never found anything drastically high on any of the 12 Warmoths I bought but I may have just timed my orders well.

And on my USACG necks (something like twice that many) the work was just remarkable. Really nice. I cannot recall a single USACG that could not have just been put into service and the fussing I did with them was best described as "optional".

7. Clive Hugh

Clive Hugh Tele-Afflicted

Done all that, there is a subtle difference, could be the fact the first one has about 7 years playing in.

8. Recalcitrant

Recalcitrant TDPRI Member

I've assembled a dozen parts guitars and basses over 15 years. USACG, Musikraft and Warmouth all sent me good necks, and I think you can just buy on price. However, the extra money for USACG does bring a "nicer" job, imo.

If all you want is a nice generic neck, I suggest Allparts. I had one Allparts neck that needed *no* leveling at all.

It's a great time to be a guitar picker.

Edit: One thing that doesn't get mentioned on boards about Warmoth is their "modern construction" double expanding truss rods, which imo add weight and mass to the neck. I think this gives them good sustain,but increases neck weight. My fav tele has one of these. But if you shelled out extra for an ultra light ash body, you might want to consider Warmoth's "vintage construction" necks, traditional single-style rod. The other outfits use these also.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    robt57 and teletimetx like this.
  9. jazzboy

jazzboy TDPRI Member

Placed an order with Warmothabout 3 days ago. Wanted cancel while it was still there and they quoted a $40 restocking fee on a $157 neck!!!!!!!! Well.....thats the first and last time I deal with them. Possibly the worst policy ever. Hope the neck is good when it arrives. Should've gone with usacg.

10. TeleCustom2

TeleCustom2 TDPRI Member

Have not used a Warmoth neck so I cannot actually say that it is not as good as USACG. That said, I found what I wanted in USACG and have no intentions of looking elsewhere. Excellent playing and sounding necks, incredible quality and fit and beautiful. Tommy walked me through the process from start to finish for the build asking about what I wanted, what I play, offering ideas and options and then delivering the goods... guitar body and neck that really are second to none for what I play.

11. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain Tele-Meister

IMG_9935.jpg IMG_9936.jpg IMG_9935.jpg Check out the Musikraft Blackguard necks. I have one on my Tele partscaster. They are created from actual fifties Blackguard necks.

Sconnie likes this.
  12. jklotz

jklotz Tele-Afflicted

My #1 has a Warmoth neck. It's roasted maple w/ SS frets. Frets were just fine out of the box. I did have to cut the nut slots to the proper height, but I'd prefer to do that anyway. I don't think you can do it perfectly without mounting it on a guitar. Close maybe, but doing it perfectly greatly enhances the playability of the guitar IMHO. I don't know for a fact, but I am assuming they leave them slightly high when they send them for this exact reason.

If you are interested, here is said guitar in action:

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/a-little-chicken-picking-over-a-backing-track.730910/

RomanS likes this.
  13. Rich B in Tempe

They NEVER START A NECK 24 HOURS AFTER THEY LIST IT! KEN W.JUST DOES THAT BECAUSE HE CAN!!

14. grooveiron

grooveiron Tele-Holic

Zeszszxxy yz xzq ef

15. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I am sure that you are correct. I switched my preference to USACG, btw. Best prices, best service, and great quality.

16. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

Three words: Musikraft, Musikraft, Musikraft. They have, by far, the most options as well as registered Fender headstock shapes. I know that shouldn't matter as much, but it mattered to me.

Full disclosure: I have no experience with Warmoth other than window shopping until I found how much more Musikraft has to offer, I have purchased exactly 1 neck and it was a Musikraft.

Having said that, the selection of profiles alone makes them the only choice for me, and the quality lacks nothing to be desired. I left the nut uninstalled for me Tele and let the local luthier handle it, but on anything other than this particular guitar I'd be fine with having them do it and save some money, especially after I saw how immaculate their craftsman ship is. Rolled edges, double acting truss rod adjusted at the nut, modern FB radius (dark rosewood), modern size frets, '52 V profile (exquisite). I'm bouncing off the walls :D I tinted mine with transtint dye then tru-oiled the hell out of it, polished it to a mirror shine, it was a fun project! In the long run, the 4-6 week lead time from Musikraft shouldn't be a factor, IMO.

pelle31 likes this.
  17. jazzboy

jazzboy TDPRI Member

Boy I feel like a complete fool for having ordered from Warmoth.....

18. John E

John E Friend of Leo's

I have had both enjoyed both. I preferred the USACG though. That was a GREAT neck. Which, of course, I stupidly sold in a fit of G.A.S.

19. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Anyone bought from Best Guitar Parts yet?

20. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I like Musikraft as well. They are just more expensive than USACG. The selections of features between the two are comparable, IMHO. BTW, it takes about 10 minutes to turn a USACG headstock shape into a formidable copy of a Fender. I think that USACG couldn't have shaped their headstocks differently to make it any easier. Just sand down the point. I have done it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.