1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Warmoth body arrived

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by RLee77, Jun 28, 2016.

1. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

My first build/assembly of a guitar, and first tele in my collection… already have all the other bits and pieces ready, and after 6 weeks of waiting, the custom swamp ash body and roasted maple neck are finally arriving tomorrow. The anticipation is killing me, as I have no clue what they are going to look like as far as specific grain pattern, since I didn't order from their existing stock, had them custom made.
    I imagine a lot of folks here have gone through this before, but I've never bought a guitar (well guitar parts) without knowing exactly what it looks like, and I'm a bit apprehensive!

2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

3. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

A lot of folks around here started the same way and once you get through the first one it's hard to stop. Make sure you read Ron's stuff above. They helped me a lot.

4. TELE_BLUES

TELE_BLUES Tele-Afflicted

Pics,pics

5. David_Maas

David_Maas Tele-Meister

I just picked up my Warmoth neck yesterday (it was held at the customs office because I had to pay the import duties) for my first partscaster. I've gotta say, it's perfect! You'll have a great day tomorrow, I'm sure! Have fun!

6. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Got the body today, no neck yet though, really happy with the way the body turned out. Swamp ash with a vintage tint, with a forearm contour. I had it routed for a neck HB, even though I'm going with a vintage fender tele neck pickup for now.
    Still not sure about the forearm contour, but I think it'll grow on me.
    Very pleased with the appearance of the grain, here's pics right out of the box:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    RomanS, src9000 and songtalk like this.
  7. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the encouragements, and thanks for those links Ron.

Seems like the string ferrules are too big for those holes, but could just be finish build up that needs to be removed.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  8. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's an extremely handsome chunk of wood. Seems like your apprehension was not warranted!!

Instead of trying to remove finish in the ferrule holes, (assuming they almost fit, except for the finish), insert the ferrule into the hole, and put a phillips screwdriver, probably about a #2, so the shaft will bottom out inside the ferrule, then carefully heat the screwdriver shaft with a soldering iron. When the finish gets warm enough, you'll be able to press the ferrule into the hole, and it'll be a smooth, clean fit. Otherwise you risk chipping or otherwise defacing the finish around the ferrule holes. Some guys will use a soldering iron without the screwdriver, but it's very easy to quickly overheat the finish around the hole, and discolor it. The screwdriver trick works more slowly, but you'll have more control, and be able to regulate the heat on the ferrule better.

Bet your neck comes in niece looking, too. You've got some great fun ahead of you, putting this together!

troy2003 likes this.
  9. Journeyman22

Journeyman22 Tele-Meister

I just completed a Warmoth Mooncaster. It was a lot of fun and challenging at the same time. Enjoy the adventure! 2 34 16 1.jpg

src9000, RLee77 and songtalk like this.
  10. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

If your ferrules are the correct size for the holes, what I do is put the ferrule over the end of a big phillips head screwdriver, and get out my trusty butane lighter, and heat up the ferrule for just a few seconds. You just want it hot to the touch. Then, quickly push the ferrule into the string hole. The finish will sort of soften up around the ferrule and allow it to slide in. I usually blow on the ferrule for a couple of seconds to cool it down quicker. Probably doesn't matter.

When the ferrule haas cooled, the finish will also have cooled and will hold your ferrules in place. Having a nice tight hole for the ferrule will make for a good sounding guitar.

11. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

two great looking bodies.

12. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Just need to ream them a little.

13. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Holy mackerel that thing is stunning! Sorry to derail.

14. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Very nice RL, you're going to have a beautiful axe when you're done.

15. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the tips on the ferrules, I'll give the heat method a try.

Doorbell rang a few minutes ago, and when I opened the door, there was the neck. :) I'm really impressed with the fit and finish… the frets are perfectly seated and the ends polished, the rosewood board flawless, just amazing craftsmanship. And the neck fit into the body pocket is incredible; it's a snug press fit that stays seated firmly without screws. It's unfinished roasted maple, and I do want to put a protective finish on it, but trying to decide between Danish oil and shellac. A few more pics…

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SunnySky and mabley123 like this.
  16. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

I think for the neck finish, to help me decide between danish oil or shellac, I'll get a scrap piece of maple and try my hand at applying both of those finishes to it, then polish out and see which one I like best... that will also give me some practice before I dive into the actual neck finish. One thing that is extremely important to me is that the finish is completely non-sticky, more of a satin feel, even though I'd like a bit of gloss.

17. David_Maas

David_Maas Tele-Meister

That looks like roasted maple to me, if so, I vote leaving it unfinished. Otherwise, I'd vote for shellac :)

18. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

I'm a big fan of Tru-Oil on necks. Cures to a hard shiny finish, but it's not sticky at all. Makes a very fast neck. Shellac is great under anything. Never tried Danish oil. Nice looking parts. Warmoth makes great stuff. My first partscaster was made with their parts.

19. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Since I want a minimalist, easy finish I think I'm going to go with Danish Oil... besides being simple and totally non-sticky, it has the added benefit of enhancing the natural grain a bit. If I later decide I want to get more adventurous, and get a bit of gloss going, would it work to put a shellac finish over danish oil, if it has had several weeks to completely dry?

20. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Huh???

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.