warm and inefficient speaker...?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by schotter611, Sep 8, 2021.

1. schotter611

schotter611 Tele-Holic

Looking for something really low efficiency (96db and preferably less) with rolled off treble for an ac4tv head and home use. Right now the cab has a 10" Veteran and a C12r. Sounds parkly, jangly etc not bad, actually quite exciting. But only with tone is all the way down so a little more tonal flexibility (lower mids and body) would be appreciated (different guitars, moods etc...). Am I stuck with a greenback? How does the 10" GB compare to a 12? Much less bass? I am looking at the Jensen P10r-f. Theoretically, this should work although some people may argue American voiced in Vox amps etc...what do you think? Other speaker options (other than EQ pedal)? THX!

2. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I think a lot of people will be watching this thread because you’re not alone. Any speaker manufacturer who can make a good sounding, very inefficient speaker would have a hit product. Price them more than a standard speaker, but cheaper than a good attenuator and they would rake in the money.

Why hasn’t this happened already? (If a speaker is inefficient, where does the extra energy get shed? As heat?)

Edit: Free naming suggestion for a line on inefficient speakers: “Domestic Tranquility”

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    PhredE and JL_LI like this.
  3. Dacious

Dacious Doctor of Teleocity

VOR speakers would meet your requirements on paper.

Search on eBay.

4. BluesRockDude

BluesRockDude Tele-Meister

Eminence have the Reignmaker and Maverick, though I think they're discontinued, and I'm not sure if there was a10" version. Both have built in attenuation that brings the sensitivity from 98.7 down to about 92.5, according to the spec sheet.
    I found a 2nd hand Reignmaker on reverb and have been using it at home. It has a greenback-ish tone, which works well with my Marshall Origin 20 head. I thought it might have enough attenuation to push the origin into breakup at apartment friendly volume, but no such luck, there's still too much headroom in that amp.

bebopbrain and LPTyler like this.
  5. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

The Weber Derek trucks model is very low efficiency and much warmer than most speakers I've tried. It's a 10, and they have some warmer 12s.

6. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Stuck with a Greenback? That’s the first speaker I thought of when reading this thread title (not positive on the specs exactly).

But the 10” Greenback is a great speaker that does exactly what you want, warm and not overly loud. I love Greenbacks anyway, but the 10” is my favorite in a Pro Junior. They don’t have a ton of bass to begin with, but yeah the 10 has a bit less. I don’t know, I think they sound great for that application.

7. 2L man

2L man Tele-Holic

My favorite speaker is Jensen P10R-F which sensitivity is only 92,5db. Its smooth vintage sound is harmonically rich and to my ears its lows, mids and highs are balanced very well. I use it for EL84 and I did home playing using JTM-45 to it using an Attenuator because its low volume sound is so good.

P10Q RI is only bit louder and its lows are bit tighter but highs are same airy clear. It stay cleaner longer when volume is increased but then breaks more sudden which feature a skilled picker might prefer? Both these Jensens are blues speakers first at least to me :)

G10 Greenback is very good (rock) speaker and for EL84 there is some more magic.

G10 Ten is good sounding speaker especially when its low price is considered and it does blues too.

drewg likes this.
  8. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

i had a vintage cab with 2 x jensen c12r drivers. they were lovely but very inefficient. a 10" in an open back cab would be probably perfect for you. otherwise, a greenback as naveed above states, is the obvious choice - they're just fantastic speakers. you'll never go wrong with a greenback.

9. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Think Derek once had the Pyle drivers which was Utah.

Jakedog likes this.
  10. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I didn't realize the Jensen/Fender speakers were rated at so low efficiency (P10R-F). But yeah- from what the OP is wanting, I'd go G10 Greenback OR the Weber equivalent, which is their Legacy 10. You can even spec it yourself (which cone, which voice coil, etc.)

Here's a Legacy 10 in a 6G2: (Princeton starts at about 1:00)

11. schotter611

schotter611 Tele-Holic

Whoa! Thanks for the recommendations! Yeah, I think there is some interest and Jensen sort of listened.

As for Weber, VOR etc, these are not readily available around here (EU) and the few people who own a Reignmaker seem to not part with it either. So I'll probably go with the Jensen then or wait and find a used GB10; to me it sounds like both are bassier than what I have lying around.

Been there before: I once ended up with a totally beat up C10Q from the 60s. Inefficient but thick and warm. The cone had been amateurishly glued but someone offered very good money for it and I gave in...wish I still had it now. My beat-up Veteran 10 actually comes quite close, not as smooth and less bass though.

12. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm confused, 12 or 10?
    One of the warmest speakers I know of are old Heppner organ speakers. They are often alnicos with big magnets and dirt cheap. I've seen them 8", 10" and I think maybe 12"

The Jensen Mod series 50 and 70 are pretty warm and cheap. the 70 warmer than the 50. Probably an excellent candidate for that little amp.

As mentioned above the Weber Trucks speaker is warmish, but expensive for what it is.

PhredE likes this.
  13. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

Tone Tubby Silver Bullet 10". I believe it's a 93db speaker.

northernguitar likes this.
  14. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I personally do not care for 10" speakers at all. The attack is just too much.

12" speakers have a slower attack that sounds much better to me.

ruger9 likes this.
  15. Drak

Drak Tele-Afflicted

Vintage 10" '70's CTS alnicos, like you find in the old Super Reverbs.
    Exactly what you described.

Maybe the Weber replacement does the job as well...but that...I cannot say for sure.

16. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Same.

17. schotter611

schotter611 Tele-Holic

10, 12, either...just 10 is usually less efficient. I am ok with 10s; probably used to them.
    But yeah, Jensen Mod could be good. Cheap. Looked at the specs and that Mod 1250 is very low db...Thx!

18. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

low efficiency and warm is how I would describe a cts alnico 10 that was used in super reverbs-would one sound good by itself ? I don't know

19. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I've had, and liked, both. I always thought it could be cool to have a combo with a 12" AND a 10" in it.

AlbertoMilanese likes this.
  20. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I much prefer the sound of a Pro Reverb over a Super Reverb. I just like the more relaxed attack of the 12" speakers. And a Princeton? Fuggedaboutit!

Timbresmith1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.