Wanting to just play guitar instrumentals live for now on my own, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by SabbathHank, May 26, 2020.

1. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

I'm not entirely sure you know what point you're making besides being upset that I called someone out for being sexist. Anyways, the closest I can get to what you're trying to say he said a little better above. In summary: "everyone knows it's easier if you're a hot girl..." yeah... well first that's kinda just wrong (seriously ask any young and attractive girl how their being young and attractive has helped them in the music business in any way other than having middle aged guys slobber over them and ask if they live SRV) and second it's just a boring and reductive argument. Someone came to the forum and asked what she's doing right and the immediate response was "well she's hot." There's no way to view that as anything but ingrained sexism. As he dismisses the hard work many people who busk (or as he earlier and again incorrectly and as a poor taste joke referred to it as "begging") without regard you gotta wonder what is his purpose in joining the conversation? It seems like it was solely to say "it's easier if you're a hot girl." That's it, that is entirely what he decided to contribute and blew off everything else. Again... if he had to say it and has no other thoughts... yeah that's sexist.

As for gender assumptions. Yeah, it's good to use the singular they/their unless you know and I know that I'm not always good at that. But honestly, on a forum that tends to lean towards traditionalism and is almost entirely full of 45 year old plus guys... well going with literally anything else but he/him is asking for a tread to get locked.

2. Churchjack

Churchjack Tele-Meister

There is no singular they/their, in English. That would be....irrational.

3. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

in$trumental$ are alway$ a good idea

but take a tip from the jazzbos, and cover tunes with melodies that are recognized widely

otherwise, most people will consider your music indistinguishable from noodling

vocals are attention ... magnets, which is a blessing in some places and a curse in others

learn the fu

teletail likes this.
  4. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

OED includes it and it's been in use since the 1300s. English is flexible, interesting, and often fantastic. But rarely rational as language isn't exactly math.

https://public.oed.com/blog/a-brief-history-of-singular-they/

5. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Can reality/the truth be sexist?... I really hope not but guess it can.

So much reality being lost in the name of PC.

teletail likes this.
  6. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

My 2 cents:
    The first song is overdone, people often play covers of it, and when you add average/mediocre vocals, it's not going to be interesting.

Now the Sultans of Swing version was interesting, and I can't stand the original, but I like this a lot.

I didn't like that Bohemian Rhapsody.

I'm not that familiar with that UFO song that I would recognize it, but I've probably heard it before. I liked how it was played a lot.

7. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Enjoy your new career delivering Pizzas

8. teletail

teletail Tele-Holic

It's sad, but some people just can't handle the truth.

Thinliner, thebluesbarn and Mad Kiwi like this.
  9. thebluesbarn

thebluesbarn Tele-Meister

I know exactly what point I am trying to make; all things being equal the better looking of the two gets the gig -male or female. I thought you don't like the way teletail worded his comment, but it seems you don't like that he made a comment.

The music business is pretty harsh. Youtube, Tik Tok, Instagram or whatever platform is like the wild west, but looks still trump talent.

Right, wrong or just reality? BTW, I'm not upset. I just wanted to share an alternate point of view, thanks for listening and maybe we can agree to disagree.

10. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

First off... of course it can and often is. Secondly, it isn't the reality or the truth it's middle aged dudes version of the truth. 'Reality being lost in the name of PC'. Not even a bit. Reality is being lost due to people holding onto simplified ideas formed of 'common sense' which is almost always a way of admitting that an idea was worked out in a couple of minutes and to expand it or really dig into it would require effort and reading and perhaps a bit of discomfort that you're part of the issue.

radiocaster likes this.
  11. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

It sure is, it would make them have to recognize their role as part of the problem.

12. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

(never mind)

13. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

It sounds like you are gradually realizing that it's awfully hard to make money as a musician! Yes, it is, even in normal times. It takes more skill and work than people know.
    There are (were) always guys busking in popular spots in the New York Subway system. You see all kinds of acts there, even guys who do solo guitar stuff with a boom box backing track. I think if you get a good looper pedal and become good at it, this could really help you to fill out your sound. Don't sing unless you're actually decent at it btw, and singing and playing at the same time is a whole skill set in itself. If you see guys singing, playing rhythm, soloing, and using a looper pedal, that's likely something they've been working on for a very long time.

teletail likes this.
  14. teletail

teletail Tele-Holic

So are you saying that if a pretty young girl and a guy were both busking, ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL, that the pretty girl wouldn't get more tips?

Because all I'm saying is that the girl will get more tips. That's just a fact, no value judgment. I'll leave it to other people to judge me for telling the truth and wring their hands over what it means.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    Mad Kiwi and Ian T like this.
  15. thankyouguitar

thankyouguitar Tele-Meister

I am someone who has busked playing solo electric guitar! I can supply some opinions XD:

Whatever you do, make sure it is something you like. Otherwise when it's just you sitting out there for hours in a sea of people, you will end up resenting everything. What people can tell better than your skill or choice of song is your attitude. If you're excited and having fun, that is what people will stop to watch.

Your hunch is correct: the guitar part of a song that was written for a full band will most likely not be engaging in a solo guitar context. Your best bet is to learn the vocal melody as well as the chords and play both at the same time. You may need to make your own transcription if one doesn't already exist (or if the ones that do exist aren't useful).

I personally have not liked using backing tracks or looping pedals, but this is my own taste and style decision (see above re: doing what you like). I haven't wanted to take a lot of gear to a spot to have to take down quickly when the cops show up or worry about someone running off with. I always wanted everything that wasn't the tip jar in my hands. I also wanted my own playing to be the focus without it competing with a recording.

I would recommend getting out and busking as a first step to achieving your other goals. Once you feel comfortable playing on the stage you create for yourself in front of people whose attention you have to attract, playing anywhere else is SO EASY. Busking is also a good resume item to use for getting coffeeshop gigs and to impress potential bandmates. Your busking repertoire will make you very ready for any band audition, which again will feel SO EASY in comparison to actual busking. (You're telling me there's a power outlet I can use, I can hang my coat up somewhere, there's no trains drowning me out every 5 minutes and you're just going to sit there quietly and not walk towards/away from me? Fantastic! XD)

Lastly, thank you for introducing me to The Sky is a Landfill. Amazing song!

16. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Ed Sheeran and Tracy Chapman are two very successful musicians who paid some dues busking.
    If you work hard enough to where you can really entertain an audience on the street and get them
    clapping and putting money into your guitar case then you are definitely doing something right.
    But it ain't easy, not at all.

17. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Sorry, I'm with Teletail. No way a pretty girl playing music of equal talent doesn't get more tips than a guy. That is a reality.

Nothing to do with middle aged mens version. Just life. Does the pretty girl have other crap to deal with the "guy" doesn't...absolutely, its not a fair world.

Something PC doesn't generally allow for.

Thinliner and teletail like this.
  18. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Where are they performing and who’s tipping?

teletail likes this.
  19. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Ed Sheeran is perhaps the most successful busker of all time given how much he makes today. So sometimes the plain looking, chubby guy beats the pretty girl after all.

20. teletail

teletail Tele-Holic

Being a good entertainer trumps everything. I used to work downtown DC and a middle aged black guy was at the subway every morning playing everyone's favorite tunes, laughing, joking with everyone. He was a mediocre keyboard player and average singer, but he put on a good, low-key show, very non-threatening, not in your face, but friendly and inviting and he drew people in and they would give him money. That was about 1990. I read an article on him not too long after than and he claimed to make $750+ a week for couple hours each morning. Looking at the pile of tips I believed him.

The part that some people seem to be missing is "all other things being equal."

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.