Wanting a hollow/semi hollow. Big dude i want a bigger guitar

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
I just don't find huge guitars comfortable. I have a Gretsch hollowbody that sounds and plays great. It is a high quality guitar. I just can't get used to the dimensions.

It is probably because I've played LP's Strats and Teles for so long that I'm just too used to them.

Do you wear it high or low? Sitting or wearing a hollow high up like a dreadnought feels great to me, but I can’t imagine how uncomfortable it would be where/how most people wear a tele or LP. I always keep my elbow perched on the edge of the guitar, regardless of the guitar.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I’m not a big dude. I’m 5’11 and 190lbs.

And I love hollow body guitars. The bigger the better!! And i love P90’s too.

24.75 still has the bite. 25.5 full scale Gretsch are great, but I never had any problems with 24.75 having no bite at all. The P90’s are enough to give you that and more. But if you want snap and twang, Gretsch white Falcon 6136 might be your thing.

Also, I play out live and loud, i havent had any problems with feedback, YET, so i think I’m lucky in that regard.

Here’s my number 1, ES-330 and my number 2, Epiphone Peerless ES-295

Untitled by D Y, on Flickr

And my very good J-45 copy as well!

I also have an upcoming build, a starcaster with some telecaster appointments. Also a big guitar with P90’s!!

big guitars all day, every day!!
Beautiful Starcaster!

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I'm 6'6" and 280 (think retired pro wrestler). I am far more concerned about getting big bad TONE out of my Telecaster and giving people joy by playing tastefully than getting a date for the prom. I'm also bald as Mr. Clean. Funny, I NEVER get any snarky remarks about my appearance.
1642893910690.png

Reactions: BB

JohnnyMagic

TDPRI Member
Hey, this is funny as I am building a carbon Tele (2 orders)
and I TRIED to talk them into 'just a tad bigger.

Ran a large washer around the template (with pencil in the hole)
and I really liked it.

My Jumbo Blaster Baritone would look good on you :)

Not pimping anything here. Just thought it was funny as we just had this conversation.

I bought my first Tele since my 72' custom that was sold in the late 80's.

Building a new shop in Inverness FL.
Working out of a finished 14x33 barn for now.

My new Tele build will be carbon body ( he already had a neck w/
wider nut.
The second one will have a carbon neck.

JM

JohnnyMagic

TDPRI Member
The Baritone is 'on the bench' getting 3 P-90's
and a Bigsby B7.

The P-90's just really work well w/the hollow bodies.
I use tone posts under the bridge on Bigsby builds.

JM

Ronzo

Tele-Afflicted
What about a Jazzmaster? Bigger than a Strat, but in the same tonal ballpark (at least more so than an ES-335).

As for a big hollowbody with single coils: ES295, or early-style ES175 (with P90s)?
Chris Stapleton is a pretty big guy, and he said on 60 Minutes last week that his favorite instrument is his Jazzmaster.

Choice #2: Play bass.

modavis99

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
My 335 with P90s is my best sounding guitar. Sounds nothing like a strat. Has a bit of twang like a tele and the beef of a Les Paul, but a bit brighter.

I got this one: https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Guitar/USA74A554/ES-335-P-90/Ebony

But replaced the cream pickup covers with black. I also removed the cream pickguard. I have a custom black pickguard on order but it’s haven’t yet arrived

Good luck in your search

Reactions: BB

Ebidis

Friend of Leo's
Do you wear it high or low? Sitting or wearing a hollow high up like a dreadnought feels great to me, but I can’t imagine how uncomfortable it would be where/how most people wear a tele or LP. I always keep my elbow perched on the edge of the guitar, regardless of the guitar.
Most of the time I'm sitting, but when standing, it's right about bellybutton height.

iamjethro

TDPRI Member
TDPRI John in the Land of the Giants!!!
Love TFIA. they are from kinda close to where I live, too.

As far as guitars, I love my Epi Blueshawk , but it is small bodied. Larger that I have and enjoy is a Guild Starfire. I have a Korean made Starfire III Newark Street. They have the little buckers that are similar to mini humbuckers. If you can get ahold of one of those you might really like it.

dreamingtele

Friend of Leo's
Beautiful Starcaster!

It’s a mix of what I love about Gibson and Fender. Although, mostly Fender being a bolt on. But the natural amber finish, knob config, P90’s have been inspired by my es-330. Hehehe.

Its still currently being finished, but hopefully I’ll be able to build it soon before the year ends!

old soul

Tele-Holic
Yeah i want one with p90's. To distinguish it. Get closer to the strat sound. Because as hum bucking guitars go. (I was thinkin about this just yesterday and i ruled out a hb 335) cause it would be running up against My les paul. And i just dont see me picking anything over it where buckers are needed. it is a oxblood custom shop that the previous owner basically built a jeff beck clone. Its down right nasty.
I just stuck some p90s in a semihollow Ibanez. I'm really pleased how it sounds. It's a happy medium in between single and humbuckers

SpaceAceman

Tele-Meister
I have a couple of Epiphone Dot Studios I love. (6'2" and lets just go with 250+)

One has a set of Duncan P-Rails, triple shot rings and concentric knobs that can make all sorts of sounds
One has a Jazz/JB that is for loud hard rock.

Neither has ever fed back on stage playing Hair Metal. I'm on the left - squeal is the guitar on the right at the very beginning.