Wanting a hollow/semi hollow. Big dude i want a bigger guitar

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
My main stage guitar is an Epiphone Sheraton, which is a 335 body style. Mine is equipped with minihums, and my secret weapon, a piezo pickup in the bridge. While the minihums have the typical fullness of humbuckers, they also have a tighter, more focused bottom. The piezo is set up so that the bridge magnetic pickup tone knob is now a volume control for the piezo. If I use a TRS tipped cable, the signal from the piezo can be routed separately to the PA, or separate amp. If a mono plug is used, the volume knob acts as a mixing control, adding as much or as little of the piezo as needed. The piezo adds and acoustic-like zing to the sound. While my Sheraton doesn't sound anything like a strat, its voice is pretty unique

Attachments

• 20171114_133334.jpg
    20171114_133334.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 11

natec

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Hi I'm Nate, and I'm a big dude.
(....room echo's "Hi Nate"....)

Somewhat larger than Charlie Daniels.... I did not buy my semi hollow guitar with any kind of ratio in mind but I sure do like it and I don't see it represented in a quick skim of this thread.

Mine is a Reverend PA-1 - Same model and color as this one:

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
i'm like 5' 6-point-something and ridiculously skinny (but with average sized hands and feet so i look pretty goofy). two of my favs are 16" (and a half?) lower bout. looking for a 17". i just wrap myself around the guitar and it completely supports me.

not just an image thing. the tele body is about the size of my torso and sometimes "not enough.” big dudes don't know what they're missing out on. having the guitar so gigantic in comparison to you is really comfortable.

extremely jealous here:

1642814028185.jpeg

Last edited:

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
just have somebody cut a larger tele or strat body for ya. It’s just a plank; blow up the outline 15% and keep the control and PU routes about the same. I bet somebody with a CNC could tweak their plans pretty easily. And anybody who picked up your guitar would feel puny without knowing why!

e44crowe

Tele-Meister
I’m with you on the big dude tiny guitar tip… I’m 6’6” so my LP looks like a uke in photos!

Don’t care though it rocks.

I have 335 which doesn’t look as tiny.

If you’re looking for something that size tha TV sounds like a Strat it’s gonna be tough. You can get close to a Tele though with filtertrons.

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
So, this is just for looks, right - you even videoed yourself and that's why want strat sounds on a big guitar? Dude, sorry, but the issue is not the guitar. Just play them. If you're a killer player, nobody will care about how it "looks on you", they will just be getting into the music. If you suck, nobody will care either what you look like.

I say this is a sorta big dude (just 6'1 230) who has played big and small guitars on stage. Nobody cares, it's all in your head.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
You might consider a Chet.
Mine’s technically a 2003 1959 Nashville Classic.
It’s big, but not particularly deep.
It’s hollow, not semi hollow, with painted on F holes.
It doesn’t feed back unless you make it.
I’m medium big, 6 ft, 190ish.
It’s comfortable, and sounds incredible, IMO.
The model is now called a 1959 6122 Country Gentleman.
6DBD1573-D9DF-4B80-B1B2-D3C30E74DD3C.jpeg
07808BF0-8959-4266-97CC-DACAF77A59BE.jpeg
EACE4364-4645-4976-A600-27A08F5D5670.jpeg
1EF8F961-A8E0-43AF-A126-47718611F221.jpeg

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
Big Gibson, or a big jazz master , as someone earlier suggested . Especially if u prefer the longer scale .also with the strat , I know u said u can’t unsee it , but if it feels good, who cares ? Maybe the color was weird

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Here’s what a tele looks like if you make the outline 15% bigger but keep the pocket and bridge and stuff the same. Marty (guitarbuilder) over in the Tele Home Depot whipped it up in a couple minutes. A strat would be about the same…
38CFCBD6-3B37-4898-A85D-6CD4771B547A.jpeg

Mr Perch

Tele-Afflicted
335 are great, versatile guitars, so definitely at least try them out and see if you like them. I have heard lots of people claim that they prefer the 335 sound over Les Paul, but hey, it is just personal preference.
As for the looks, dont worry. Just play the guitars that you like and the ones that feel good in your hands.
True. Greg Koch is pretty enormous and he looks fine with a Tele.

But if OP wants something that sounds like Strat, it doesn't seem like a hollow body is the ticket. Have you considered a Flying V? They have their own sound, but it's a good one, and you might look smaller holding one. Are you as large as Albert King?

images

RomanS

Poster Extraordinaire
Here’s what a tele looks like if you make the outline 15% bigger but keep the pocket and bridge and stuff the same. Marty (guitarbuilder) over in the Tele Home Depot whipped it up in a couple minutes. A strat would be about the same…
View attachment 942741
Stonetree Guitars makes an oversized Tele model - Eric Ambel (used to play in Steve Earle's band) has a couple of those...

Ebidis

Friend of Leo's
i'm like 5' 6-point-something and ridiculously skinny (but with average sized hands and feet so i look pretty goofy). two of my favs are 16" (and a half?) lower bout. looking for a 17". i just wrap myself around the guitar and it completely supports me.

not just an image thing. the tele body is about the size of my torso and sometimes "not enough.” big dudes don't know what they're missing out on. having the guitar so gigantic in comparison to you is really comfortable.

extremely jealous here:

View attachment 942715
I just don't find huge guitars comfortable. I have a Gretsch hollowbody that sounds and plays great. It is a high quality guitar. I just can't get used to the dimensions.

It is probably because I've played LP's Strats and Teles for so long that I'm just too used to them.

ScottTunes

Tele-Meister
I really like my 335 w/ P90s (just got it 2 months ago)! It's not a Strat, but it is quite versatile. It's also brighter than w/ HBs.

My Gretsch G6122 comes closer to Strat territory, but still isn't. Definitely a big guitar that sounds fab with the Filters.