Wanting a Black Bakelite Tele pickguard 8 hole 1 ply made in USA....but can't find any??

daza152

Tele-Meister
Hey guys looking for the above mentioned in title can anyone help me please? thanks. I have a new MIM tele coming soon as its the latest one out in Polar white with maple neck, can't wait.....

Darren.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Callaham, Stew Mac, and Allparts make black, Bakelite 5-hole pickguards. Since Fender never used an 8-hole Bakelite guard, AFAIK, you'll have to drill the 5-hole guard that you buy. I don't know if the Allparts guard is US-made.

Edit: Strange but true, Fender used an 8-hole Bakelite pickguard on some American Standard Teles.

Last edited:

KelvinS1965

Tele-Afflicted
I noticed that the 'guard above has two little holes for the pickup, so if you don't want those holes then you'll have to either just use a 5 hole or use your existing 'guard as a template to drill and countersink the 3 extra holes. Personally 5 holes looks better to me anyway, but depends on your preference.

daza152

Tele-Meister
Callaham, Stew Mac, and Allparts make black, Bakelite 5-hole pickguards. Since Fender never used an 8-hole Bakelite guard, AFAIK, you'll have to drill the 5-hole guard that you buy. I don't know if the Allparts guard is US-made.

Edit: Strange but true, Fender used an 8-hole Bakelite pickguard on some American Standard Teles.

Thanks exactly what I'm looking for but out of stock, I'm not wanting to drill holes, I'd probbly break it...glad to see there is an 8 hole 1 ply black bakelite guard, maybe I'll try ebay. Thanks.

KelvinS1965

Tele-Afflicted
Thanks exactly what I'm looking for but out of stock, I'm not wanting to drill holes, I'd probbly break it...glad to see there is an 8 hole 1 ply black bakelite guard, maybe I'll try ebay. Thanks.
I understand not wanting to drill holes, I guess I assume that everyone is OK doing stuff like that just because I am.

Did you notice my comment about the two small pickup mounting screws though as I don't know if the MIM Tele will need these, so you'll end up with extra holes where you might not want them?

ponycar

Tele-Meister
Since bakelite guards were 5 hole do what Keith said get 5 hole it should line up. Put it on without tightening all the way. For this test fit do not put a screw in the lower bout horn. Check to see that that hole is not misaligned so that the screw would put pressure on the guard causing it to warp. Enlarge any holes slightly to avoid binding. Cut out for neck may also need slight sanding not to bind. Five hole bakelite Is thin and prone to warping.

daza152

Tele-Meister
i would just use the 5 screws that are there. 8 screws on a 1 ply black guard just looks weird and wrong to me.
Well.i went with 8 hole matte black 1 ply....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220125-213937_Email.jpg
    Screenshot_20220125-213937_Email.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 13

Beebe

Tele-Holic

The AllParts guards I've used all had Made in USA stickers on the back. They don't advertise it though, so it might not be guaranteed.

Ronkirn

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
DIY. . .

ron

PJ55

Poster Extraordinaire
Warmoth is your best bet to order a 1-ply black 8-hole guard. But, I don’t think they’ll do Bakelite. I’ve used the five hole guard on 8-hole bodies and the Bakelite is so stiff, it won’t warp. And, you get the vintage vibe.