Wanted to share this experience ...

StudentGuy

TDPRI Member
I have gotten to the point, that I really don't like posting on forums, because someone will will be offended, or feel a need to mindlessly "correct" my statements, but I was so impressed by this experience with this product that I wanted to put this out there, for others that probably have the same predilections about this brand as I did. And of all the forums this one seems to be the place to share this info, ... so here goes

When I first heard of Harley Benton, I thought it was a joke. Then I saw the You Tube video s by Cory Mura ?) on the PRS Custom 24 …the CST 24. Cute, I was still not convinced to buy an import guitar. To this point, all my guitars had been USA made Fenders and a Gibson

Now understand, I am a “hobbiest”. I am not a musician. I do not gig, and I can barely play ! But that does not stop me from buying, and admiring the gear .

There is an old adage, that you get what you pay for … That does not hold true with the TE 52. In this case, you get waaay more than what you pay for.

$145 US Dollars. $220.00 delivered all the way from Der Fatherland, to my abode in the USA

Chicagoland Suburbs. Heck , I have paid more for cab rides in suburban Chicago, north to south. So for coming across Europe… Across the Pond, and to the Mid-Western US, it is a wonder in these Pandemic/Putin crazy inflation days. Even at $220 US delivered, it cost about what the case I will put it in costs.

It is BEAUTIFUL. And this from a PRS Fanboy who values “pretty” .

The Ash body has terrific grain. The “caramelized” neck is almost a thing of wonder.

Did I say it is heavy ? Yes, she is. But the 3x times more expensive Squire Classic Vibe 50 Teles weigh in the same ball park. Between 8 & 9 lbs. Appears to get a light weight Ash body, you spend $2.000 on a Fender MegaTele and come in around 7 lbs … Just use 3” Bass guitar straps on her …

I was buying an upgrading platform. A cheap guitar I was going to Mod the heck out of and still cost less than a Fender Player Series MIM Tele. And have a much better guitar in the Modded HB.

With reconstruction in mind, I started canvassing my local guitar guys to get an idea on costs to “finish” building the TE 52. Fret polishing, leveling, burnishing the fret ends .. .Maybe scraping the fretboard edges to approximate rounded fret board edges . $150 was one of the quotes, about what the guitar costs. But even at that point, still less than a Squire CV

So I get the guitar. “Caramelized “ neck ? Darker than usual, but dammmm. Smooth. Pretty. NO Fret Sprout (it gets dry in Chicagoland in winter )

Fret board smooth. Satin finish. Not rolled , but not worth messing with. PRETTY !!!

Delivered like it came from Sweetwater. Pristine. No blemishes. OK , but does it work ?

Hell Yes ! and here is the other crazy thing. The “ Roswell” pickups (who the heck is Roswell ?) Sound Great. THEY SOUND “TELE” Now this is a “micro budget “ guitar.

The cost of “better components” will be way more than the guitar itself. But the TE 52 “chassis” (body & neck) are certainly worth hanging “better” components on . But I was so struck by the sound and performance of the basic cost cutter stuff that works like a Mutha …

Don't take my word for it, check out this video:

That I decided, I would have to leave one pretty much stock. THEN BUY A SECOND ONE, TO GO

FRANKENSTEIN TE 52 ON STEROIDS WITH ! So I wait for TE 52 #2 . Due this Monday …

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
I've had a few Harley Bentons on my bench in the shop, and they were all astonishingly good for a 'budget' brand. The brand has lots of fans here on the TDPRI.

The quality of cheap guitars has come way up in the last 10 years. Not all cheap brands are good, but many are.

tintag27

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
A fine commentary ...and Welcome to the Forum!
Just one correction - you ARE a 'musician'! Just because you can 'barely play' does not change that. We all appreciate music and have, or hope to have an instrument to shred on - or hang on the wall, or just to tinker away on in our bedrooms...
You have joined a family of 'musicians' of widely ranging skills and experience and opinions and already added to our collective knowledge...

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
That TE 52 is £133 to me, it's probably not a coincidence that it's exactly the same price as a Squier Bullet at Thomann.

I would like to compare those both directly... don't suppose any here has?

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
Man it's been a while since I looked on Thomann, this TE-20 is £75 (including 20% VAT) + £8 postage.

I don't even know how that's possible. £60+ tax, retail price.... in 2022 for a tele-type guitar. :oops:

StudentGuy

TDPRI Member
That TE 52 is £133 to me, it's probably not a coincidence that it's exactly the same price as a Squier Bullet at Thomann.

I would like to compare those both directly... don't suppose any here has?
Well,

"Shane " from the "Blues" in Australia compares the TE 52 ... to an Fender American Original (Gangsta) Tele, and well talk "David & Goliath

The fact hat it can even be close to me ,is amazing. So I
think the Squier would suffer the same fate ...

See the You Tube above ...

And you sir, are too kind !

A fine commentary ...and Welcome to the Forum!
Just one correction - you ARE a 'musician'! Just because you can 'barely play' does not change that. We all appreciate music and have, or hope to have an instrument to shred on - or hang on the wall, or just to tinker away on in our bedrooms...
You have joined a family of 'musicians' of widely ranging skills and experience and opinions and already added to our collective knowledge...