Want vs. Need

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by wtk0315, Jun 24, 2015.

1. wtk0315

wtk0315 Tele-Holic

Just venting/looking for encouragement...gonna try to get the old punk band together later this year, but jeez everything seems expensive when you're not getting paid to gig regular.

I need:
    A PA
    Mics
    Stands
    Pro tools

I kinda need:
    Spare tubes

I want:
    Hollowbody
    112 Ext. Cab

But, I have to buy:
    A new house

I guess patience is a virtue when you're not loaded down with cash. What's on yalls wish list?

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I want
    an Epi 339 PRO
    a bigger amp (DRRI, Tone King Sky King, Supro Coronado, etc.)
    a bass player who's interested in practicing the songs at home

I NEED, um, nothing, actually... I can totally play what I gotta play with what I already have.

3. wtk0315

wtk0315 Tele-Holic

Never had a problem with our bassist. He always helped me write the riffs before.

Drummers OTOH, woof. One was a guitarist in the band that owned the PA and rehearsal space at the time, one was a drummer in that same band. The drummer we got on our owned bummed all of our smokes, then moved to Denton. The other one played one or two shows and wasn't that skilled.

4. wtk0315

wtk0315 Tele-Holic

And when this happens later this year we'll be on drummer roulette again lol

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I want a set of bagpipes, and that digitech trio pedal

With guitars, I am all done.

But I'd take a cabronita, and a baritone, and one of those variax things

6. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Once you have the new house, you'll have a place for everything else and, a place to practice.

7. PapaH

PapaH Tele-Meister

Fixed

8. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

If one third of the world's responsible guitarists abandoned guitar and applied themselves to mastering the drums, we would have world peace. What the world needs now is love, and punctual drummers. As Gandhi said, "You must be the drummer you wish to see in the world."

9. King Creole

OP, good luck getting the band back together, and gathering all the equipment you need to do it. Keep it punk rock and don't spend too much.

10. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Doesn't punk and anguish kind of go together anyway?

11. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

I am still in the middle of a kitchen remodel, but once I am done I begin Rock Trek III: Search for Geezer Band.

Let us know how it goes!

-H

12. wtk0315

wtk0315 Tele-Holic

Our first demo was recorded with a single mic hanging in the middle of the rehearsal space. We sounded rough, but somehow the instrument and vocal levels came out perfect. So much more fun than stressing about the tone on that 10th guitar add in fill. (Not me, but I've helped a buddy record with protools who was into jam/prog rock, guitar tracks on top of guitar tracks!)

13. wtk0315

wtk0315 Tele-Holic

Hahaha

14. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

+1 on the kitchen remodel.

After that its the quest for a soundproof space to practice in.

Attached Files:

15. King Creole

Yea, rough music should sound rough. I like the sound of a band playing in a room. But it does help to have a good mic and (rent) a good mic pre and analog to digital converter to keep that warm sound alive.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  16. LeeVegas

LeeVegas Tele-Meister

I'm running out of room in my rent controlled apartment (see location <<), but I have room for a hollow-body jazz box and a little Yamaha THR. I could probably make room for a Princeton Reverb or a Blues Junior, but after that, a new house...

Also, "Kitchen Remodel" would be a good name for a geezer band.

17. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

FatCat, looking good! You are a bit ahead of me, I still need to make two more cabinet ends before I can order counter tops.

LeeVegas, I like that, maybe shorten it to "The Remodelers"

18. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

For getting a band going, you definitely need a decent PA, mics & stands, cables, spares tubes, backup gear, stage lighting, plus the assorted guitars, amps and other instruments.

You can record decent demos with Audacity and its free, I would wait for later on getting expensive recording software and gear. I think most people these days just want to see youtube videos.

New hollowbody guitars and extension cabinets can definitely wait until after your house is purchased. At least you live in the Houston area where housing is so much more affordable than most other places on the planet. What part of Houston are you looking at? I live in Jersey Village btw...

Good luck with all the adventures... Hope the band stuff takes off too.

19. loudneighbor

loudneighbor TDPRI Member

If yer gonna go really punk go DIY, broom handles for mic stands, cheap second hand PA and sm58s for vocals and no mic'ng the amp just go any 100 watter you can find.

Only half joking, attitude and anger gets you most the way there (punk-wise). Don't most places you gig at have a PA? For practicing just use an old Kustom amp and run yer vocals through that. It's PUNK!

Anyway, good luck. Always good thrashing out the "oldies." You guys Pistols/Clash or Ramones/Balck Flag or what?

20. wtk0315

wtk0315 Tele-Holic

Big_Bend I'm actually moving to Austin. Comparable home prices, just got to figure out how to work my day job. At least I already own a travel trailer. Also there might be an opportunity for me to work in Equitorial Guinea with my brother, so I'd be 28 on and 28 off if I can get on permanent. But yeah the bassist and singer from the old band live in austin already. I'll be the last one of our group of friends to move out there lol, after half the group already moved back to southeast texas.

Stage lighting for a punk band? We didn't have all that fancy stuff in high school lol. Just a barn and a pa, both owned by the other band we played with. 3rd band was always different.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.