want to use the Hammond 290CAX rather than 40-18027

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by ouaouaron, Oct 11, 2019 at 8:27 PM.

1. ouaouaron

ouaouaron TDPRI Member

starting my planning for the champ micro and found that with shipping the Hammond is about $30 cheaper and Rob says it works well.

I know how to use the wires in the ClassicTone (red, red, red/yellow, green, green, green/yellow and black, black).

Does anyone know how to use the correct wires in the Hammond?

Need to know which are the HT, HT center tap, 6.3v and 6.3v center tap, and which is for the power and power cord (likely black).

2. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

King Fan likes this.
  3. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Meister

I might be wiring mine into my Champ this weekend. Only difference is I'll be wiring my primary in series where you will be doing it in parallel. I see from a previous post you would wire orange and white together, as neutral, with brown and black as hot/live.

King Fan likes this.
  4. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

According to the diagram, there is no physical CT for 6.3V leads, so you will need a virtual center tap.

5. ouaouaron

ouaouaron TDPRI Member

thanks for the help, I am leaning toward the ClassicTone now. I can read and understand some of the Hammond diagram but with my level of knowledge the ClassicTone is easier.

6. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

I have used this transformer and really think it is the best choice for Champs and Princetons. Use the 315 Volt taps and cut the 275 volt taps short. Put some heat shrink over the ends leaving about 3/8" to fold back onto itself.

Be sure to wire it for the appropriate primary voltage
    upload_2019-10-12_21-0-27.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019 at 11:18 PM
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.