Want to make first vintage amp purchase - AA964-SF Princeton

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by cottontails1959, Oct 6, 2019.

1. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

A 10" speaker nests right in there. An oversized OT just misses the speaker frame. That's in a stock sized cabinet.

Don't knock it 'til you tried it.

LuthRavin and BobbyZ like this.
  2. Jwalker99

Jwalker99 TDPRI Member

Hey great post ! That explains why i like the princeton w no reverb. I like clean , on edge of break up better than filthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Not hard to add another 6v6, I already gave the recipe for a VC to 6g2 conversation, in this thread. A taller cab will get a 12" in there.
    Personally never cared for stock circuit VCs. I've never had one @muchxs has worked on either, people that do love them. I suspect his aint stock.

4. BobbyZ

A 65 Bandmaster I've got had a recipt aka "clean bill-O-health" from Solid Body Guitars down in the Twin Cities. They stuffed new JJs in it and charged the guy for biasing and checking it out, all whilst he ate lunch nearby.
    Exept they didn't check anything out or bias it from what I could see. Had they pulled the chassis they would've seen what I saw. A ground wire in the air out of it's solder pool. And a piece if extra heater wire that'd been there since it was built. Saw those things before I had the faceplate out of the cab. Lol
    The cord was a 2 pronger with electric tape repairs.
    But by golly the seller had a receipt that said it was A-OK.
    I bought the amp right because it didn't work right. Seller got took for trying to do the right thing and get it fixed at a "famous" shop.

I only named the store because they are out of buisness now.

Paul G., LuthRavin and muchxs like this.
  5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The Rivera era Super Champ is proof of this...same height and width as a Champ/VC...just a bit deeper. Big sound in a tiny package.

LuthRavin, King Fan and muchxs like this.
  6. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

I have a '69 non-reverb. It sat in the closet for years because I didnt realize that it was the stock speaker killing all the vibe.

When I came across a good deal on a Silver PR with a non-stock speaker a few years back, it was a light bulb moment.

Be prepared to get an aftermarket speaker of you want all the tone this amp can give. My current fav is the Eminence copperhead. Like someone said above, put a reverb pedal or tank with a Princeton non-reverb and it is awesome. For me, it is the ultimate living room amp, ie the "baby fender twin" like they used to call it.

7. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

So, the big question is whether the VC or non-reverb Princeton is a better platform for conversion to a 6G11?

8. BobbyZ

That's a pair of 6L6s so you'd need all different transformers. At that point you might as well start from scratch.

9. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

Oops - meant 6G2

10. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Non reverb Princeton, clean all the way up. No distortion.
    A bit spendy to service. $40 cap can and extra time/hassle.

11. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

I think it takes as much time to replace the cap can as it does four individual caps.

Another advantage of a non- reverb Princeton is it should be half the price of a reverb version. Original Princeton Reverbs tend to sell for over a grand, some way over a grand. Original non- reverbs usually sell under a grand.

I've almost been fooled myself on a few occasions. See a nice "Princeton Reverb" on Craigslist at a killer price. Oh, waidaminnit. It's a non- reverb.

Still a great amp.

12. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Back to the OP: I bought a SF Princeton (no-verb) off of Craigslist 3 years ago. I'm not a tech oriented person; I understand some of the technology and issues in a basic way, but I'm more focused on playing than repairing. Just my approach, not preaching either way is better.

It's been a really, really good amp. The owner prior to the Seller had "updated" the amp; replaced electrolytic caps and the death cap, but not the two-prong chord. I have a friend who I have found to be reliable, yeah, he's an electrical engineer, but the kind who actually does stuff, has built amplifiers and more to the point, honest as the day is long and he looked it over for me, changed out the two-prong, etc.

I've used that amp at a weekly gig for three years now, not a single problem. Yes, I understand those that prefer the PR; this one works for me - most of the venues I play are small to medium; some places have mic'd the amp, some have not. The tremolo is delicious. I use a small pedalboard for variety. Came with a 10" italian-made Jensen, C10R, I think. It's ok. I could change it out for my own ears, but no one in the audiences I play for would hear the difference - except for maybe the one or two folks who show up once in a blue moon.

the amp was originally listed at $900. That to me, was too much; the amp did not sell for 3 months or so, and when the seller reduced the price to $700, I bought it. the transformer codes are 1969, the speaker code 1970; serial no on chassis (A-13077) narrows it down to late '69 or early '70.

I'm far from an expert on the market for older Fender amps; I know what I like and occasionally, I take a look at what's available just to see what's happening. I figure for $700, it would be hard to buy that much amp happiness any other way. I grew up when you could smell the dust baking on the tubes. I'm pretty sure I couldn't tell tube v. solid state from recorded samples, but the feeling? I know what I feel.

What I try to tell myself is to just be patient, but be ready when you find something that is right.

july2016 Princeton SF no-verb.jpg

gridlock likes this.
  13. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Bonus points for your avatar photo of Steve Ferguson, RIP. NRBQ! !!!

rjtwangs likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.