want to build stereo combo amp using two Ampex 2010s

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Sequimite, Jul 31, 2020 at 3:43 PM.

1. Sequimite

Sequimite Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I've played out with a single Ampex 2010, a 10 watt 6V6 tube amp with an 8" sealed JBL full range speaker. The compressed cleans remind me of my old Fender Twin Reverb. The amp section is very hard to remove and replace. I've been looking around for a cabinet design that would allow the two 8" JBLs to be angled for stereo modulation and allow easy access to the two amps. I haven't found anything. Any ideas?

ampex-2010-tube-amp-speaker-620-12au7_1_b3a6de0d5378911e4fc4ba2a6ad387a3.jpg

2. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I like your concept !!!

Post pics and soundclips !!!

3. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

4. Sequimite

Wow, I've never seen that Gibson amp. Perhaps it's foolish to think I can put them into a joint cabinet and reduce the combined weight. I'll try drawing a plan from that amp.

Perhaps I should first look at reworking the existing cabs, flip them upside down and flip the amp section again to provide top access to the electronics. That would also help a lot with heat dissipation.

These are touted by some in the monoblock hi-fi crowd.

I also have a 1954 5 watt 6V6 reel to reel that I need to rehome as the small elliptical speaker is a real weak link. Plugged right into the Phono/Radio jack and it sounded good to me. I took out the motor to save weight but I don't think the current case can be made to work.
    [​IMG]

tubegeek likes this.
  5. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Indeed they are. Those are VERY well-regarded - I think the fullrange drivers are supposed to be excellent.

Pairs are not exactly easy to come by either. Did you get them both at once or one at a time?

6. Sequimite

My neighbor is a movie buff. He had these for decades and used them while showing 16mm prints of 1940's movies. Kept them maintained over the years. Eventually went to a new projector system which included solid state sound. He offered to give them to me but I paid him $100. I'll have to check on value. If they fund a second 5E3 build that would be tempting.

tubegeek likes this.
  7. Sequimite

I have used these to play CD's through. For acoustic stuff they are killer. Obviously they are a bit light on bass but better than the prior Ampex 620s which used a 6" full range speaker.

These were literally recording studio monitors.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 10:02 PM
    tubegeek likes this.
  8. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

If I'm not mistaken some of Alan Lomax's later Folkways remote recordings were made with this gear as the monitors. Maybe even Muddy at Stovall? That might have been done to disc not tape though.

Anyway - LEGENDARY.

9. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

I bet you could double (+++) that just by parting out one driver.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.