Want to add a cheap overdrive

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
This Univox Superfuzz clone is an easy build and has excellent parts.

Doctorx33

Friend of Leo's
I have a ton of those kinds of pedals, I’ll let you know after I get home.
I do know the Kokko Supa Drive is really cool. $20 on Amazon.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
I build guitars, so I use one there. I'm not quite a hack, as long as I have magnification, lol
Check out YouTube vids on the Superfuzz. The BYOC Leeds I linked above is a faithful clone. It’s a wonderful, slobbering musical razzberry. I love it into a slightly overdriven tube amp.

Ringo

Poster Extraordinaire
You might want to check into a boost pedal, they can do amazing things when stacked with ODs.

Hoodster

Friend of Leo's
4-knob TC Spark is a no-brainer. People overlook it as an OD because of the word “boost,” but it does light-medium drive in three different flavors (fat, clean, and mid).

Dik Ellis

Tele-Holic
hey guys and gals,
I run two ODs, a Mojomojo and an SD1, through either a Peavey Bandit or a Marshall MG 50 dfx, both ran as a clean pedal platform. Guitars can be anything from 3 sc strat to 2 HB. I use the SD1 if I want one standard sort of classic rock sound, and stack it into the Mojo to get high gain.
I'm wondering what I might be able to achieve with a third OD. I play all kinds of music, but am an old rocker at heart and as far as style goes. So maybe just another "flavor" Maybe something really smooth and creamy.
My budget is low, so I'm looking at Joyo, Kmise, Caline, Donner, etc. These types of pedal brands are mostly clones, but it is hard to tell of what, actually.
Keep in mind I like the option of lots of low end on tap.
No gigging, at home use only, so it will sit on my pedal board and probably never move.
Any one using any of these brands, I would love some feedback. What you like, what you don't, what you think might work.
You Tube has plenty of videos on the inexpensive pedals. I have purchased several mini pedals by Donner, Mooer, and Rowin.

Blackmore Fan

Tele-Afflicted
I'm going to recommend a "Bad Monkey" by Digitech. Its an a great sounding TS-08 clone. They're no longer in production, but if I can find one that's more or less "new", I'll add a second one to my collection.

Edit: I bought a Boss SD-1 fully expecting it would kick the Bad Monkey off my pedal board. The SD-1 sounds "good". But I can't dial in the bass and treble like I can with the Bad Monkey. The shiny, brand new SD-1 now sits on my guitar table, and the Bad Monkey is back on the floor.

gitlvr

Friend of Leo's
I'm going to recommend a "Bad Monkey" by Digitech. Its an a great sounding TS-08 clone. They're no longer in production, but if I can find one that's more or less "new", I'll add a second one to my collection.

Edit: I bought a Boss SD-1 fully expecting it would kick the Bad Monkey off my pedal board. The SD-1 sounds "good". But I can't dial in the bass and treble like I can with the Bad Monkey. The shiny, brand new SD-1 now sits on my guitar table, and the Bad Monkey is back on the floor.
Try the SD1 again. Turn the gain all the way down and just crank the level to taste. I would use an SD1 even if I did not use it for overdrive; there is an openness to that pedal that just enhances my sound in a way nothing else does. No matter what other dirt pedals go on my board, the SD1 ain't going anywhere. Mine is almost never off.

Len058

Tele-Meister
The Mojo can do creamy, if I'm not mistaken. When you push that with a treble booster, it might get you a lead tone. But yeah, everybody needs a fuzz...

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

I have these that I found work well: Blackrat, Golden Horse, and Azor fuzz ... all $25 pedals. They are a Turbo RAT, Klon, and Big Muff Pi -alikes. I also have a Kokko SOS FLP2 looper (Ditto mini) which is fun to use as it's like having a buddy to jam with (and learn how to be a better player with others too). Also, a Joyo American Sound pedal is great.

Dig through the 'affordaboard' series on the 60 cycle hum channel I linked below. Most of the low cost mini pedals are made by 'NuX' and private labeled for different sellers (and seems some of the big pedal brands too).

Gain stacking can be an important option to at least experiment with even if you don't use it. I do like this first video with a pair of DS-1s, one with gain really low the other with it less than 50%.

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
The ones I have:

Movall Minotaur. Klon clone. It has a tone knob which controls the highs, I set it on zero. To get more bass, you turn up the volume. I have the original version, I don't know if the new one is the same circuit exactly, the case is a tiny bit bigger on the new one.

Azor Fuzz, the gray one. Pretty good Big Muff style fuzz.

Kmise Crunch Distortion. Supposedly M.I. Audio Crunch Box based, Marshall sounding. The tone knob controls the mids only. There is some nore mislabeling on the knobs, I think the level and gain are reversed from what I remember. Not really that different from the original Nano Metal Muff aside from the eq characteristics. There are lots of demos on youtube.

Last edited:

Blackmore Fan

Tele-Afflicted
Try the SD1 again. Turn the gain all the way down and just crank the level to taste. I would use an SD1 even if I did not use it for overdrive; there is an openness to that pedal that just enhances my sound in a way nothing else does. No matter what other dirt pedals go on my board, the SD1 ain't going anywhere. Mine is almost never off.

Thank you for your reply...I'll give it another try.

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
Behringer makes a pretty good fuzz pedal that is supposedly based on the Univox Superfuzz. I got one on sale for under $20. However, with fuzz you have to be careful, there are so many different varieties of fuzz out there.