Want to add a cheap overdrive

gitlvr

Friend of Leo's
hey guys and gals,
I run two ODs, a Mojomojo and an SD1, through either a Peavey Bandit or a Marshall MG 50 dfx, both ran as a clean pedal platform. Guitars can be anything from 3 sc strat to 2 HB. I use the SD1 if I want one standard sort of classic rock sound, and stack it into the Mojo to get high gain.
I'm wondering what I might be able to achieve with a third OD. I play all kinds of music, but am an old rocker at heart and as far as style goes. So maybe just another "flavor" Maybe something really smooth and creamy.
My budget is low, so I'm looking at Joyo, Kmise, Caline, Donner, etc. These types of pedal brands are mostly clones, but it is hard to tell of what, actually.
Keep in mind I like the option of lots of low end on tap.
No gigging, at home use only, so it will sit on my pedal board and probably never move.
Any one using any of these brands, I would love some feedback. What you like, what you don't, what you think might work.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
hey guys and gals,
I run two ODs, a Mojomojo and an SD1, through either a Peavey Bandit or a Marshall MG 50 dfx, both ran as a clean pedal platform. Guitars can be anything from 3 sc strat to 2 HB. I use the SD1 if I want one standard sort of classic rock sound, and stack it into the Mojo to get high gain.
I'm wondering what I might be able to achieve with a third OD. I play all kinds of music, but am an old rocker at heart and as far as style goes. So maybe just another "flavor" Maybe something really smooth and creamy.
My budget is low, so I'm looking at Joyo, Kmise, Caline, Donner, etc. These types of pedal brands are mostly clones, but it is hard to tell of what, actually.
Keep in mind I like the option of lots of low end on tap.
No gigging, at home use only, so it will sit on my pedal board and probably never move.
Any one using any of these brands, I would love some feedback. What you like, what you don't, what you think might work.

Donner makes a pretty cool mini Fuzz-type, that is a Cheap Big Muff clone- if you want some strong distortion. I forget the name.

I had one, sold it, but then bought the same kind of pedal from Biyang
(I just don't like mini-dirt pedals, as I like ones with batteries, so I can grab one for a jam or practice w/o a board )

allesz

Tele-Holic
I suggest a Muff clone if you want smooth and creamy. It stacks great with the SD1 btw.

A rat clone would be another great option...

StuartJames

Tele-Meister
I have a Bandit as a spare amp. Joyo American Sound works great with the Bandit for a slight touch of hair to light overdrive. Mooer Blues Mood ( BD2 clone) does thick and creamy and lighter gain

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
@Chiogtr4x is quite right. Begin exploring fuzz pedals. Explore them at your peril though, as they tend to multiply. A fuzz set just so feeding into overdrive pedals is a great sound. Getting that just so setting takes some fiddling, but it's worth it.
A pair of El Cheapo fuzzez to start with ( see, they're breeding already ) are the Rowin LEF-606, a silicon fuzz of awesomeness and the Tom'sline G-Fuzz, a germanium glob of greatness. Keep 'em low and ride the velvet. Don't complain when you have a shelf of fuzzez and yet covet more. It's a known thing.

As a swerve, the Behringer VT999 plays very well with others. It needs the stock PSU replacing with a 12V 1000mA and the stock 12AX7 replacing with a 12AU7. That gives you a very good treble/middle/bass tone control, gain and output level controls and a passable noise gate. The 12V supply wakes the unit up and the 12AU7 smooths out the clipping and delivers way more predictable results as the gain knob now works over all its sweep instead of the first 20 degrees. The stock 9V supply is actually a really good unit for use elsewhere.

Swerve number two. An EQ pedal! You can now boost and cut frequencies across the whole range. EQ pedals are undervalued until you get to know how to work with one, then they become part of your toolkit.

Swerve number three. Use your guitar volume control. Keep it at '7' for the most part, then roll up to '10' for a quick boost. Volume pedals that allow you to set a min/max are good too.

Guitarteach

Doctor of Teleocity
The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm
Boss OD3 really surprised me. Not the mid humped TS tone. Nice even EQ and a really great natural touch response.. very tube amp like.

I stack mine into an OCD and have a MXR Microamp to boost gain or output.

But you might want to consider a fuzz to complement the others. TC Rusty Fuzz for a really great bargain fuzz face or a JHS Series 3 fuzz for more range of tones.

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
EDIT: Geez, missed that the OP seems to already have the MojoMojo. Maybe someone else will want to check it out :)

Check out the MojoMojo from TC Electronics. It is on sale for $50 on Sweetwater right now. The Paul Gilbert edition is on sale for $70. Plenty of reviews on YouTube, including Gilbert himself…

MOJOMOJO-OVERDRIVE_P0DDI_Top_B.png

Last edited:

'64 Tele

Tele-Afflicted
I'm an OD collector, always looked for one that's good with both single coils and humbuckers.
This, I found at online seller (that starts with A, ends with mon) that is great with both types of pickups.
Copy of KOT pedal (Hot Box Dual Drive) for $78. I got mine last Oct and it kicked my Timmy off my main board.
Can set up (with internal dip switches) either or both sides as boost, OD or distortion.
1652444662732.png

Beebe

Tele-Holic
It sounds like the mojo likes being pushed. Maybe an EQ pedal or compressor in front of it to push it in a different way.

Or, if you have another pedal with level control laying around, try turning down its effects, and push the mojo with it.

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
Buy fuzz.

Specifically, the shiny Biyang tonefancier that runs around $50 shipped.
You're asking fir low end and creaminess, these are things associated with fuzz. OD doesn't normally add low end. You're using Peavey cleans as a pedal platform, so a 3 mode fuzz will serve you better than my old mad scientist approach of swapping a 3 knob muff variant between 5 tube amps to decide if I need it or not.

If you just want me to reccomend different flavors of cheap drive pedals, I will also comply:

Joyo:
Sweet baby, us dream, jf01(ts clone) jf02(ocd clone), taichi(xendrive clone), or tauren(klon klone). Those last 2 have really cool looking led edged designs.
Also, the amp in a box pedals should be on your radar.

Biyang:
OD-10(3 mode), xdrive od8 or od12(3mode ts like).

Ehx(only within $25 of the previous 2 if you buy used):
East River drive(ts), crayon(not a timmy, deliberatelycolors tone), soulfood(dirty klone), or the muff od, which as a HUGE ehx and muff fan, I don't personally like.

Also, since I mentioned fuzz being an avenue to pursue, maybe a Rat clone, like the Biyang Tonefancier or baby boom ones, the little bear ratattack, ehx flatiron fuzz, a useful reissue rat2, or a micro pedal like the black secret by mooer.

Have fun.

bettyseldest

Friend of Leo's
There used to be a really good listing of cheap pedals along with what they were clones of on the Spartan website, but it is just bringing up a 404, page unavailable error. There are others, this one may help;

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
There used to be a really good listing of cheap pedals along with what they were clones of on the Spartan website, but it is just bringing up a 404, page unavailable error. There are others, this one may help;

Cool list. I wouldn’t take it as gospel. Quality of inputs are not the same.